This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Running is a sport that I have just started to get interested in. I can set aside an hour or so to be by myself, listen to an album in its entirety or put on a 90s playlist and jog along to Wannabe. Going for a run is a cardio exercise, good for getting your heart pumping, oxygen moving around your body and increasing your stamina. Here we provide you with some of our running hotspots in Nottingham. Let us know if there are any we have missed!

Wollaton Park

Full of nature, deer, fresh air and greenery, Wollaton Park attracts many runners, both students and locals. It has a good mixture of grassy parts and footpaths, making it suitable for both hardcore cross country runners who like to get their trainers muddy and those of us who prefer to go home without dirty shoes. Located close to uni, it is easy to find, but be aware that the gates close at 5/5.30pm so it is probably best for morning runners, as the gates open at 8am (9am weekends/bank holidays).

Nottingham Canal

The canal and river join two of the places where most students live – Beeston and Lenton. Run alongside the canal towards Beeston until you meet the river (or vice versa) and enjoy this run. It is a flat route alongside the canal and you get to see all of the boats moored up and maybe some ducks too. Remember to do this route in the light, but in the morning watch out for icy patches as Jack Frost starts to come out!

Nottingham Uni Campuses

Our campuses are some of the greenest in the country, and with the lakes on both Uni Park and Jubilee it is not unusual to see joggers and dog walkers passing through campus. Although it may seem like a bore returning to uni to do exercise, you can find many hidden gems and secret parks, especially on Uni Park. Try planning a run that passes through campus and carries on into Beeston for example where there are dedicated cycle and jogging paths. The good thing about campus running is that the gates don’t close, but be aware of the dark parts if you go running alone at night. Always wear something fluorescent.

The Gym

If the winter mornings are too bitter and the thought of going out in the cold, damp weather makes you cry a little on the inside, there are plenty of gyms in Nottingham that you can join. Many even come complete with treadmills that have personal TVs where you can watch a cheeky bit of Deal or No Deal whilst burning those calories. This is nothing to be ashamed of as you’re in the gym working out!

Photo Sources

http://timgarratt.files.wordpr…

http://nottingham.tab.co.uk/fi…

Edited by Luisa Parnell

Leona Hinds

Nottingham

Leona is a final year languages student. This year she's back in Nottingham after spending her year abroad in the Canary Islands and China. She is sporty, curious and has a weakness for Kit Kat Chunkys.
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!