Robin & Bethan – Christian Society’s New Exec

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The end of the academic year means society committee elections! Her Campus caught up with Christian Society’s new President and Vice-President for 2014-15, Bethan and Robin!

How long have you been involved with NUCU?

We actually met each other on the first night of Freshers Week at a CU event, and I suppose we’ve both been involved in NUCU in some way ever since!

Explain to us what your role(s) as President and Vice-President of NUCU will involve.

We lead the exec, which is the group of 9 of us that as a whole lead the CU. This involves helping all the other members to do their jobs well, making sure everyone is organised and in sync with each other, and keeping the CU focussed on its mission statement which is ‘Living for Jesus and Making Him Known’.

How excited are you about what the next year has in store for NUCU?

Very excited, the last year has been fantastic, and we’re looking forward to building on those foundations.

Robin (top row, second from left) and Bethan (bottom row, far left)

Is there anything you are particularly looking forward to?

Our big Events Week in February is always a highlight of the year, where we put on a load of events like pub quizzes, acoustic nights and board game evenings with great talks helping people to explore the unique claims of Christianity.

And is there anything that may be challenging for you?

A lot of people misunderstand the CU and its purpose; what we’re here to do is tell people about the best and most important news they will hear in their lives, and we need to communicate that well.

What other societies are you involved with, other than NUCU?

Robin: In first year I was involved with archery and squash, but unfortunately this year NUCU has rather taken over my life (sad, I know).

Bethan: I’m not really involved in any other societies, like Robin said, CU takes up quite a bit of time!

What has been your highlight of being a student at UoN so far?

Robin: Gosh, so many things. My course (History) has been really good actually, I’ve generally found it very interesting and engaging.

Bethan: I’ve really appreciated the amazing friendships I’ve had since being here, I know I’ve met so many great people!

Beth Rowland

Nottingham

First year English and History student, aspiring journalist. If journalism fails, Strictly Come Dancing is the dream. Check out my blog at theyoungandqwerty@blogspot.co.uk
Sheetal studied History at the University of Nottingham and was Campus Correspondent during her final year, before graduating in July 2014. She is currently jumping between jobs, whilst still writing for HC in her spare time. She may or may not be some of these things: foodie, book addict, world traveller (crazy dreamer!), lover of cheese, Australian immigrant, self-proclaimed photographer, wannabe dancer, tree hugger, lipstick ruiner, curly-haired and curious. She hopes for world peace and dreams that someday, cake will not make you fat.