Review: V-day- A Memory, A Monologue, A Rant and A Prayer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

4 Stars

This collection of monologues, edited by Eve Ensler and Mollie Doyle and commissioned by V-Day, strives to end violence against women. Far-reaching and engaging, whilst this performance deals with the issue sensitively, it succeeds in capturing the personal stories of women in a manner which is both moving and thought-provoking. It certainly doesn’t shy away from the issue. On the contrary, with the shocking statistics that begin the performance as well as the Sasha Butler‘s monologue which features a contrast between the voice of the abuser and the voice of the abused, V-Day powerfully demands an end to the violence.

The delivery of the performances is particularly impressive (Anna Vujicic’s performance which maintains a very convincing American accent should be noted here), with the use of pauses and raised voices grabbing the audience’s attention at various points. The first speech, delivered by Verity Spencer, Boo Jackson and Katie Hall, combines childish costumes and clapping in unison to highlight the effects that domestic abuse can have upon children. The tone shifts in Amelia Gann’s performance which is delivered sitting down. This is a particularly moving monologue delivered by a mother to her son, describing the rape which resulted in his birth. Similarly, Amy Brough-Aikin’s performance then effectively portrays the strains that a mother experiences when there is little help to be found.

The concept of psychological dissociation from the body (a phenomenon which can occur during abuse) is raised in Niamh Caines’ piece. By highlighting the important role that this little known process plays in the victim’s ability to cope with the abuse, and her final casting off of it, this performance both educates the audience while highlighting the power that women can find in spite of abuse. The performance also covered the topic of sexism in comedy, with Emma Kendall ending the set of monologues with an amusing joke about God, a joke that all women in the audience appreciated (I won’t ruin it for you – go and see it)!

As an audience member you’re able to become more engaged with the issue as a speech from a member of Nottingham’s Amnesty International Society closes the performance, explaining this human rights issue further.

My only criticism would be the location: I felt that the depth of the performances would be better suited to a darker environment; obviously this is an issue of availability that cannot be avoided. Luckily, the next performance is set to be at the Performing Arts Studio on Monday 16th February which I’m assured will make the best use of lighting and will further lend to the quality of the show -which is already very high. I highly recommend this performance. It is both educational and a moving experience for all audience members.

Photo Source

http://www.hercampus.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_width_embed/public/2015/02/11/10978696_10206086761265148_6006382438730056330_n_1.jpg?itok=AXXmIeFP

3rd year BA English student at The University of Nottingham (UK), Reviews Editor for Her Campus Nottingham.
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!