This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

On Sunday 9th October, Hockley Hustle celebrated its ten-year anniversary. As a lover of live music and gigs I thought I would check it out as I am always up for discovering new music and new artists. A variety of artists were performing at a multitude of venues. I decided to stick to The Brew Dog as it was the BBC introducing venue and I thoroughly enjoy finding unsigned and undiscovered musicians. The artists showcased by BBC Introducing are often some of the most talented in my opinion. A special mention to Dean Jackson for putting together such a good line up of artists, who were all incredible. Whilst I watched a variety of thoroughly good and talented acts, Tusk were the show stealers for me. Tusk, formed of Ned, Seb, Jack, Jamie and Alex brought an undeniable amount of energy to the stage and the atmosphere was electric. Having played the BBC introducing stage at Reading and Leeds this year, this was Tusk’s homecoming gig. The crowd created a buzz that hadn’t been felt previously during the other acts. The crowd were dancing and moving along, it was like everyone had come to life. The set was generally upbeat and I really enjoyed it.

Although different from bands I usually listen to and rockier in nature, I couldn’t help but enjoy the set they put together. The guitars combined with Ned’s vocals and drums make their band rather unique to the industry that they are in. Their set consisted of ‘War Cry’,’ Empty Highs’, ‘Drowning,’ ‘FMA’, ‘Dull Ache’ and ‘I’ll Try’. Ned’s vocals are insane; he puts so much passion into his performance and in doing so, really brings the songs and their story to life. For me a personal favourite would have to be ‘I’ll Try’. During the performance, the lyrics resonated through the audience. Everyone was starting to get involved as the beat picked up, dancing along and feeling the music.

The set was consistent and the crowd were dancing and enjoying it until the very end. The venue became increasingly busy whilst Tusk were performing as a one in one out system was put into place and there were people queuing before and during their set. I think that not only proves the popularity of Tusk themselves but undiscovered and unsigned musicians as a whole.

In general, events like Hockley Hustle are thoroughly enjoyable if you are into good live music. The flexibility and variety they offer in terms of acts and venues is something unique. You are given the opportunity to enjoy and discover artists through Hockley Hustle itself and there is also the opportunity to celebrate local talent. I had a great time and I know I will definitely be keeping an eye on a variety of artists. I will be returning next year without a doubt.

You can check out their performance of I’ll Try live at Leeds and Reading here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnWoqu3tW7Y .

Edited by: Jess Greaney

Image sources: 

http://themicmagazine.co.uk/2016/01/08/nottinghams-latest-up-and-coming-…

19. History Undergraduate at UoN. Lover of live music.
Immy Hibberd

Nottingham