Review: Rhodes at Bodega

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

5 STARS *****

A hypnotic expression of emotion: Rhodes’ performance demonstrated the ability to convey depth through simplicity, silencing, transfixing and absorbing the audience.

David Rhodes is 25 years of age, from Hertfordshire, and didn’t start singing until 18 months ago as he admits he “was always far too scared”. He has now released three EPs: ‘Raise Your Love’, ‘Morning’ and ‘Home’, and has supported Sam Smith, London Grammar, Laura Marling, Nick Mulvey and Rufus Wainwright. He may be scared but he certainly knows how to channel this fear into achieving success as, from that list, I would say things are going pretty well…

Rhodes’ success comes as no surprise. Beginning with his track ‘Morning’, Rhodes’ soaring voice echoed around the room, complemented by his guitar melodies. Enveloped in an enigmatic atmosphere, I was entranced. This captivation continued throughout, as I was surrounded by an audience who did not talk, did not sing and did not dance, they simply stood, watched and absorbed.

I acknowledge the bizarre nature of this image. Typically, you say concert and connotations are conjured of joy expressed through physical involvement. I am not ashamed to admit that the majority of the concerts I attend are what ‘cool’ people may deem as too mainstream, Katy Perry for example (multiple times). These shows are SHOWS, they are a spectacle.

Yet, I also believe Rhodes’ performance to be a spectacle. Yes, granted there are no backing singers, professional dancers, and there aren’t various musicians, there is simply a guy with a guitar and a piano. This was all that was needed. An individual who has the ability to compel a room full of people with the purity of his voice and an instrument is an individual who has indisputable talent.

The intimate venue mirrored the intimacy of Rhodes’ songs and the stripped back set emphasised the passion within his voice, particularly prevalent during his rendition of ‘Breathe’, the leading track on his new EP ‘Home’ and his latest video. Whilst singing, Rhodes closes his eyes as he, similar to us, is immersed in the music. We are all engaged and sharing every word and emotion that is expressed.

There is a prominent sense of melancholy (some may say misery) in Rhodes’ music, so potentially avoid if what you are searching for is a light hearted and uplifting event. But, for me, the intensity is what makes the performance joyous, as the lyrics inspire. This intensity is relieved partially through Rhodes’ interaction with the audience; he responds, makes jokes,  constantly thanks us and expresses his genuine shock at the number of people there to experience his music first hand, revealing a modesty in his nature.

This modesty is transferred to Rhodes’ music, creating an authenticity which is amplified through his apparent sensitivity. He performed a new track named ‘Close My Eyes’, which fulfilled the expectation of passion and honesty articulated in the rawness of his voice.

Rhodes has written his first album and is currently in the recording stage, revealing it to consist of both guitar and piano tracks. ‘Somebody’ was accompanied by the keys of a piano and the harmonious musical stream of consciousness resonated around the darkened room. The tone slightly altered as a result of Rhodes’ shift from guitar to piano; the initial warmth of the guitar strum was replaced with the juxtaposing warm but haunting sounds of the piano. The rich euphony, however, seemed eternal. On the basis of this gig, the future of Rhodes certainly seems bright.

Nottingham was the third ever place Rhodes had played and he expressed his delight in returning, declaring it to be “the best gig”. He happily signed autographs, took photos and chatted with fans after his performance, exuding cool and reiterating his gratitude. Rhodes, we welcome you back anytime with open arms.

Her Campus meets Rhodes!

Edited by Harriet Dunlea

Sources

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/music/rhodes–interview-i-played-guit…

http://www.gigsoup.co.uk/news/new-music-news/rhodes-releases-video-breat…

English student at the University of Nottingham
Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.