Review: Pitch Perfect 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

3 STARS

The Barden Bellas are back: but are they still in harmony?

The plot: everyone’s favourite all-female college acappella group lose their acclaimed status after a public disaster involving Fat Amy, a lack of underwear and the Obamas in stock footage. The girls are left to “find their sound” again in order to compete in the World Championships. Which no American team has ever won. I wonder what will happen.

The musical numbers are arguably even better than in the first film. The best scene is most definitely the equivalent of the first film’s ‘Riff Off’- this time involving a wider array of groups in the basement party of a pyjama-clad David Cross. The song themes, ranging from ‘Songs about Butts’ to ‘I Dated John Mayer’ are reminiscent of the funny, relevant humour that ensured the success of the first film. Featuring The Bellas’ main competition (the German ‘Das Sound Machine’) plus the likes of The Green Bay Packers, if Pitch Perfect 2 consisted only of this scene it would be a sure-fire success.

The cameo appearances are part of the charm of the film. The presence of YouTube’s Flula Borg is a delight (I’m a fangirl but seriously he will impress all you non-fangirls.) Snoop Dogg brings in a few funny moments, Pentatonix also feature and Keegan-Michael Key is brilliant as Beca’s recording studio boss. This does however mean that the film skimps on the development of some old favourites: there’s not nearly enough of the charming Skylar Astin as Jesse, for example.

Sadly, one thing that becomes apparent is the entire franchise’s reliance on clichéd race/stereotype- reliant ‘jokes.’ The German troupe’s heavily-accented renditions stand a little awkwardly alongside gimmicks such as the new Latina ‘Bella’ whose character development begins and ends at jokes about disease and deportation. We still know nothing about Cynthia-Rose (Ester Dean) other than that she’s black and gay. As a matter of fact, you’re left waiting for Rebel Wilson (Fat Amy) and her fearless comedy to transcend the awkwardness.

It’s funny enough to warrant a viewing and the ending is so feel-good you’ll probably forget the rest- but it certainly packs less punch than it aca-oughta. Maybe that’s just the curse of the sequel- or maybe Pitch Perfect 2’s uglier undertones prevent it from hitting the high notes.

Edited by Caroline Chan

Picture sources:

www.usmagazine.com

www.fiordlandcinema.co.nz

Naomi Upton

Nottingham

Naomi is a third year English student at Nottingham University and Co-Editor in Chief of HC Nottingham. Naomi would love a career in journalism or marketing but for now she spends her time beauty blogging, attempting to master the delicate art of Pinterest, being an all-black-outfit aficionado, wasting time on Buzzfeed, going places, taking pictures and staying groovy. 
Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.