Review: Patchings Art Centre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

4 STARS

Escape to the country. Literally. The busy realm of Nottingham town will fade from memory as Starbucks is exchanged for an open fire, Rock City for art classes and Primark for peace at Patchings Art Centre.

Who knew that just a mere half an hour drive from our streets of Lenton there is all encompassing greenery and hidden within these fields is Patchings, a picturesque scene for those of us (more likely than not third years) who are in great need of a tranquil retreat.

It’s got to that point in the term when we yearn for the luxuries of home cooked food, comfortable sofas and warmth, and it is in the café at Patchings that these luxuries are offered. Enjoy wholesome homemade food ranging from heart-warming soup to a fulfilling pie, finished off by a slice (or maybe two in my case) of cake for a very reasonable price. There is tea, there is cake and there is an open fire, what more could you want? They even have a license to serve alcohol, with the café and outside Crew Yard areas being available to hire for parties, just in case you desire a change from Ocean. The treats don’t end there because not only do you get cake (did I mention they serve cake?) you also have access to free Wi-Fi. That’s right, forget the worries of ever increasing data charges, you are free to scroll through Facebook to your heart’s content.

If you’re feeling energised after finally nourishing your body with food other than pasta and tomato sauce, why not attend an art class? Patchings offer a range of courses and workshops in watercolour, pastel, mixed media and drawing. Have a go, you never know, you may discover you have a secret talent for life drawing.

If you are less of a public artist and more of a private/ ‘no one look at my work’ artist, then you can restock your arts and craft corner in the shop at Patchings. Your housemates will love it when you return with dozens of brushes and paints ready for the next project, you know they’ll be jealous when you whip out the materials for glass painting. From time to time the franchises that overwhelm Nottingham’s town centre are just too much, so the quaintness of the unique shops at this centre are extremely inviting. Perhaps you’re an appreciator of art as opposed to an active participant in the art world; Patchings is still the place for you, as the art galleries display intriguing collections, be ready for an education. Although, you do not need to have the faintest interest in art to fully appreciate this hidden gem, as I have said before, the café in itself makes it worth a visit. You can even stay over as accommodation is offered. Maybe you’re not so keen on art but just fancy a minibreak or your parents are coming to visit and need a place to reside that isn’t too close for comfort. For this, Patchings is an ideal location.

And, yes, we can all hear those jingle bells approaching from a distance, the John Lewis advert has now delighted our screens, making us tear up in synch with the man on the moon, marking the beginning of Christmas. So, if you’re struggling with the purchasing of gifts, the Christmas Market at Patchings could be the answer, open 27th-29th November, offering individually designed work from over fifty arts and craft makers. Even if you don’t find anything, there is mention of seasonal refreshments which surely must mean mince pies. Who could resist?

The only thing is, without a car Patchings is not the easiest place to access, but if you have a car, or your friend has a car, or your parents have a car, or your next-door neighbour has a car (maybe bond with them first), we urge you to go.

Sometimes we all need a break from the hubbub of city life and Patchings is a brilliant alternative.

Visit their website!

https://www.patchingsartcentre.co.uk/

Visit Patchings!

Patchings Art Centre

Oxton Road

Calverton

Nottingham

NG14 6NU

0115 965347

Edited by Georgina Varley 

Sources:

https://www.patchingsartcentre.co.uk/

Image Sources:

http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz_photos/patchings-art-centre-nottingham?select=…

https://www.patchingsartcentre.co.uk/eating_out_nottingham/patchings_res…

English student at the University of Nottingham