Review: Kitty Café

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It’s finally here: Nottingham’s first pet café. Located right in the city centre, just of Maid Marian Way, is a home of 26 adorable, friendly cats and kittens. For those of you who don’t know, yes, you can sit and have lunch or a drink while the cats run around jumping on the tables or playing with toys.  

In my opinion, the café has been perfectly set out; not too many tables, and decoration which doubles as climbing frames and scratch posts for the cats. There are two large, open plan rooms each with tables but plenty of room to play! Not only are the cats super cute, the staff are really friendly and clearly also cat-lovers. How could this place get any more adorable? It is a rehoming shelter and care facility for rescue cats, strays and those with medical issues. 

This does mean that you have to pay a £5 welfare fee for the cats when you get in (or £3 if you go on a weekday) but that stops them from overcharging on the food, which is of good quality. At £5 a pizza it is a completely affordable place to go for lunch!  Understandably, there are rules such as not being able to pick up or hold the cats – but if you’re lucky they’ll jump on you anyway. One thing to note is that you are only allowed in there for your one hour slot – which you have to book in advance – and they will ask you to leave after that hour. After paying £5 to get in, this can seem a bit cheeky. However, they purposefully keep the place quite empty so you can have lots of time with the cats, and with the popularity of it, it is understandable they only allow people an hour.  

Overall?  Providing you like cats, this is the perfect place for revision de-stress. And, hey, if you really fall in love with one of them, I hear they run a cat adoption scheme. Cuteness plus good value for money = 5 stars. Tempted? Take a look on their website, there’s all the details plus the cats’ profiles, or like it on Facebook for updates and pictures.  

Sources:

http://kittycafe.co.uk/

http://www.cathampurr.co.uk/cat-cafe/

Kate Kilby

Nottingham

Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.