Review: Keston Cobblers Club at Bodega

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

5 STARS *****

I’m not gonna lie to you, I’d only really ever listened to Keston Cobblers Club through the wall separating mine and my housemate’s bedrooms last year before this gig, and I really knew little about them. After last night, I can now safely say that they are one of the best live bands I have seen, and certainly the most fun.

All of the members of the band clearly love what they do; there were smiles all round throughout the entire set, whatever instrument was being played (of which there were many) as they were being passed between the five, obviously very talented, members. The smiles were infectious, and whether the song was mellow and audience heads were swaying or the music was upbeat and the crowd was dancing, everyone was grinning from ear to ear. This made for a wonderful atmosphere, helped by the bands humble addresses to the audience between songs. One which I particularly enjoyed was the explanation of the EP name ‘A Pocket Guide to Escaping’ and the handmade hot air balloons (apparently real but just really far away so they looked smaller, obviously) decorating the backdrop of the stage, meant to symbolise this chance to escape. All of which I found ridiculously adorable.

Despite them saying that they felt stressed about playing new songs, all band members looked relaxed whilst playing these songs, which included highlights like ‘Spring’ and ‘Won’t Look Back’. The last few songs were upbeat tunes which we were encouraged to dance to, after being apparently the only audience of the tour to be willing to learn the dance moves (?!) which was a hell of a lot of fun.

The majority of the gig felt less like an us and them, audience and band situation, and more like we were all just enjoying it together. This feeling was encompassed in the final song, which was a cover of Fleetwood Mac’s ‘Chain’ played in the middle of the crowd (for which the lead singer took off his shoes, which, with his rolled up trousers, made him look like he was going for a paddle). It was all very intimate and lovely.

We met them afterwards, and learnt that one of the member’s amazing shoes cost her £5 from a charity shop, and that they’re all just generally lovely human beings. 

This was my first Keston Cobblers Club gig, but it definitely won’t be my last.

Edited by Harriet Dunlea.

Current third year English and History student, with a love of music, and lots of opinions. 
Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.