This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Homemade: the epitome of quaint. This cosy haven in Nottingham’s town centre is the ideal escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. Enter and enjoy homemade heaven.

4 STARS

When walking past Homemade, it is the array of freshly baked cakes that will make it near impossible to continue not only your shopping but also your ‘new year, new me’ regime. There’s the gooey chocolate brownie for the chocoholic (me) or the more civilised carrot cake for those not wanting to venture too far from their health kick. I say civilised, yet the portion size is anything but, be ready to experience that food baby. In a rush? Order a takeaway slice. Have an event coming up and can’t bake? Order a cake for that special day. The handwritten chalkboards are brimming with selection, the only issue being: how do you choose?

Perhaps you don’t have a sweet tooth and savoury is more your style, Homemade hasn’t forgotten about you. Stop off early in the morning to source the energy required for trying on endless amounts of clothes through the full works English breakfast. Drop in for a mid-afternoon pick me up in the form of a ham, cheese and red onion chutney toasty. Or celebrate a successful day shopping with wild mushroom and spinach penne pasta. With the majority of their suppliers being within a three mile radius, you can be reassured that what you are eating is locally sourced and fresh. Fresh tasty treats any time of day. Alcoholic beverages are also on the menu if you fancy a more liquidised treat and Homemade is even available to hire for evening events, providing a delicious buffet, wine, beer and, apparently, board games upon request. The opportunities are endless.

There is one critique. The kitchen is located at the back of the café/bar but there appears to be no door to the kitchen or the staff might have agreed not to close it, resulting in the witnessing of food preparation. Their motivation is probably to emphasise that they have nothing to hide, but even so, the sink of washing up is somewhat of a distraction from devouring slathers of cake.

Despite the door-less kitchen, visiting Homemade is a must. Describing themselves as not a fast food café but a fresh food café, Homemade is a nest of nourishment.

Edited by Georgina Varley 

Visit the website!

http://homemadecafe.com/

Sources:

http://www.fastfind.info/nottingham/rr1841

English student at the University of Nottingham