The Reality of Coming Home From Uni

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It’s been a long and tiring term. There’s only so long you can juggle a degree, extra-curriculars and commitment to Nottingham’s nightlife before you feel the need for some detox and downtime at home. In fact, your body is begging for it…

If you’re lucky/loved/spoilt, your parents will come to pick you up…

Otherwise, it’s the train station for you. Cue some seriously clever packing…

Returning home, it’s always nice to see you’re still remembered even when you’re at uni…

…until you discover that you’ve been usurped from your old room by your younger sibling, and end up in the spare…

Still, at least you can look forward to some quality home-cooking with fresh ingredients at dinner time…

Although you can’t help but miss eating what you want, when you want…

Even though most of the time you end up in this situation…

For the first few days at home, you indulge in some serious downtime…

But after not so long, you’re full of energy again and itching to go out…

You won’t take no from an answer from any of your friends…

So you hit up the local club. Nightlife at home isn’t quite as good as at uni. In fact, it’s a bit naff. But you make the most of it…

Coming back in and trying to be quiet so you don’t wake anyone up proves to be a lot harder than you remembered…

And being hungover at home is much more tedious than being hungover at uni. No sympathy and parents pestering you to DO things. I’m hungover, I can’t DO anything!

Your parents seem to have this attitude to your not-so-subtle night time drunk cooking…

Probably best you wake up soon anyway. There are some serious deadlines looming and you’ve been neglecting them to the extent that you’ve actually forgotten which degree you do…

There are just far too many distractions!

But despite all this, there’s no denying there’s always something cosy and welcoming about home…

4 weeks later, and it’s time to head back to uni. Back to normality!

(After exams anyway)

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!