A Reaction to the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

After having my Instagram feed positively seized by some of the most ‘perfect’ women in the world, I was left internally debating as to how we should react to this hype. Are they guilt-inducing Barbie dolls or a source of inspiration?

Glitter, wings, thigh-high lace up heels, a catwalk filled with long limbs and hair so sleek it blinds. It’s one of the most highly anticipated events in fashion. The show is more about the models than the clothing they’re advertising. They are a brand personified, not displayed. Whilst the world of fashion is not the world we live in, the fantastical is still sure to imprint on young women today.

Sara Sampaio, one of the Angels, is keen to bite back at critics. In an interview with Vogue she said “I’ve been skinny all my life, but for Victoria’s Secret I work out really hard. I am much healthier now than I was two or three years ago.” The models work out big time. The fact most people’s lifestyle can’t cater to such high levels of fine-tuning leads to guilt and a feeling of inadequacy. On the flip side, some women immediately want to don some workout gear and hit the gym.

Sampaio also noted that, “I’m not going to try to make myself something that I’m not. I’m just going to try to be the best version of myself.” I think this is important. This is an attitude more young women should be reminded of. Treating your body as a temple, to care for but not to push to breaking point, is an important lesson.

The feminist in me screams why the hell are you supporting this madness? I am not necessarily supporting it, but instead I think we chose our inspirations for the goodness we see in them. We need to alter our mindsets when we see and read about the stupid idea of ‘perfection’. We shouldn’t make idols out of anything or anyone. Instead, we should observe. Not painstakingly try to copy. If we find positivity we can apply it to our own lives. There are countless numbers of young women struggling with self-esteem issues, and we need to change the way we react to what we see if it’s presented to us in the first place. If that’s working out after being inspired by Victoria’s Secret Angels in order to make our bodies strong and the best they can be, fine. If it’s closing the internet tab, ignoring their existence and accepting that that is not reality, that is also fine. Either way, we are not the sum of what we look like.

Of course, our reaction in terms of motivation will be varied, but personally, when I look at these women I see strong individuals whose bodies are toned and powerful, women who are strong as much for themselves as for the catwalk. Some of them are mothers, some of them are much older than normal model standard. Victoria’s Secret scouted models from all over the globe to ensure diversity. They seem like nice, normal women who are empowered by what they do. I should not feel guilty for seeing them as a source of inspiration. The next person should not feel guilty for abhorring their existence.

Yes, they inspire me to work out, but no, I don’t want to be them. Yes, they parade around for a living, but they are confident and driven. They are happy. That to me is inspiration.

Sources: http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/news/fashion/2013/09/10/victorias-secret-show-debate

http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2014/12/03/victorias-secret-show-london-2014-pictures-and-report

Naomi Upton

Nottingham

Naomi is a third year English student at Nottingham University and Co-Editor in Chief of HC Nottingham. Naomi would love a career in journalism or marketing but for now she spends her time beauty blogging, attempting to master the delicate art of Pinterest, being an all-black-outfit aficionado, wasting time on Buzzfeed, going places, taking pictures and staying groovy. 
Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.