Pros and Cons of International Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

At our university there are thousands of international students on campus. Whether they are completing undergraduate, postgraduate or Erasmus/exchange schemes, there are over 150 different nationalities on campus. International students are in our lectures, part of our societies and our daily life. But what are the pros and cons of having international friends whilst at university? Let’s see.

Stories – International students can tell you all sorts of stories about their hometown, culture and family. Sharing these experiences can open your mind to new ideas and disprove stereotypes that you may have. Hearing how Indians actually celebrate Holi or seeing pictures from Chinese New Year celebrations can be really interesting.

On the downside, these stories may be long winded and you may not be all that interested in the topic, but you still feel obliged to listen. Jealousy is also a negative associated with all these amazing things your friend has seen and done. They ask you what England’s national holiday is and you struggle to remember when St George’s Day is because it’s not a bank holiday.

Food – In the UK we have many restaurants from all over the world, all claiming to be ‘authentic’; they may have top chefs but from my experience, your Mexican friend’s homemade tacos will always be better than those at Chiquitos (and cheaper too!). Asking your friends to prepare their favourite dish from home is a great way to see how they cook in other countries. Just like anyone, if you’re feeling a little homesick, homemade food is a good way to lift your spirits and remember your family. You can also introduce them to British classics besides the English breakfast – toad in the hole, pies, trifle and of course a carvery!

How can different food be negative? Well, some countries eat weird things. Tastes, textures and spices will be different to what you are used to. Just how people love or hate Marmite, other tastes and flavours such as coconut, ginger or garlic may not be to your taste. Different food could be too spicy, making your eyes run as you search for a tissue. Not everybody likes potatoes as much as us Brits do; many of my international friends who live in catered halls ask why we eat so many potatoes and how many more ways can we think to eat them? Boiled, baked, fried, mashed, roasted, smash!

Language – Your international friends may speak a different language, dialect or have a different accent to you. This is great for language students who want to practice their language with native speakers. You can get help with your homework and learn all the slang words that aren’t in the text book. If you don’t study languages you can still pick up a few words in your friends language, or get them to give you a local name.

It’s always awkward if you meet a group of people and they all start speaking Arabic…a language you don’t know. Sometimes speakers of other languages may also want to express something but they can’t find the right way to say it in English. This language barrier can be frustrating for both people, especially when the Google translation doesn’t make any sense. There may be miscommunication, even if you’re both English speakers, for example the differences between jam, jelly, crisps and chips in British and American English.

Habits – When people come from other countries and cultures, they often do things in different ways to us. Drinking warm water instead of cold water is common in China and now I quite enjoy it, especially when it’s a little cold outside.

There can be culture shock between friends. For example, a Chinese friend of mine saw me and asked for a high five, so I gave her one and asked why. She replied “We both have acne today, give me five!”. Sometimes international students are more honest than us Brits, so be prepared to be told that your skirt is too short, your hair is messy and you have bags under your eyes.

Hospitality – Sharing is caring, and when you have international friends it’s a great opportunity to show them your culture, country and customs. Introduce them to classic British things like cups of PG Tips with biscuits, Coronation Street, the Royal(e) Family and take them to see your hometown. Leave them with a great impression of the UK.

You may end up being such a great host that your friend recommends you to all of their friends. Or your friend may buy you gifts that you find strange or unnecessary. One time, a Chinese friend met me so we could walk together to a language exchange; she gave me a yoghurt to eat for no apparent reason.

New home – If you become good friends with an international student, you may be left with an open invitation for whenever you next are passing through Germany. This is great as you can go and see your friend’s home, try their Mum’s cooking and not have to pay for a hotel.

When your friend returns to their home, it brings difficulties. They’ll no longer be around every day and there may be an awkward time difference between you and them. A Skype video chat just isn’t the same as a hug and it may be a long time before you can see them face to face again.

Having international friends has a few disadvantages but I think the positives truly outweigh the negatives. How do you find international students to be friends with? You can join their specific country societies through the Student Union website http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/societies/ if you have your heart set on finding friends of a specific nationality. They often provide starter lessons in their language as well as celebrating their national festivals and traditions throughout the year. Travel Soc and NUSEX are very popular with international students, so what are you waiting for?

Edited by Luisa Parnell

Leona Hinds

Nottingham

Leona is a final year languages student. This year she's back in Nottingham after spending her year abroad in the Canary Islands and China. She is sporty, curious and has a weakness for Kit Kat Chunkys.
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!