Phone Interviews: A Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Phone interviews are becoming a more and  more crucial part of job applications, but they can easily catch you off guard. Over the summer I managed to get three of four, and each time felt completely unprepared because they seemed to come completely out of the blue.

Now I don’t know about you, but there’s definitely something creepy about not being able to see somebody face-to-face. You have no idea how they’re responding to your answers and you can’t make eye contact in the middle of your answer just to check that you’re not going wildly off topic. It’s not all a bad thing; phone interviews hide your nervousness and you can have little post-its and notes all around you (as long as you’re not rustling paper!). But for a phone-phobe like myself, I definitely needed some help and advice – so here’s my survival guide for getting through this important stage of applications.

Step 1: Be prepared. Now, this may sound obvious, but the interviewer can still tell if you’re struggling for things to say about the company and/or job role. Just like in person, it is clear when a candidate hasn’t done their research and this will jeopardise the interview before it has even began. Have your CV with you and maybe look on forums for example questions from that employer and have some examples ready.

Step 2: Arrange a time to speak to the employer. If they ring you out of the blue, most will ask you if it is a good time to talk, and you CAN say no. This gives you chance to prepare a little bit and won’t completely catch you off guard. If you are expecting them at a certain time, be ready at least ten minutes before and ask your housemates to be courteous around the time of your interview.

Step 3: Make sure you’re somewhere quiet. Again, it sounds simple, but heading somewhere quiet will give you time to think about your answers as well as ensuring that the person on the other end can hear you clearly without all of your friends shouting silly comments in the background.

Step 4: Now, this one is optional, but some people like to dress smart. It’s a psychological thing, but I can vouch that you definitely feel different answering questions in bed in your jammies compared to answering them at your desk wearing nice clothes.

Step 5: Don’t speak too quickly! And breathe. Like I mentioned above, you can’t see the person on the phone and often they’re trying to scribble down what you say. You want to make it easy for them to catch everything so that you have the best chance to shine! By the same token, don’t talk at a snail’s pace, either. This also links to being concise. Instead of launching into a long story, ask the interviewer if they would like more detail and that way you won’t be telling them irrelevant stuff.

Step 6: Take your time. I know the feeling of dread when you’ve paused that little bit too long and an awkward silence entails, but it’s NOT as bad as you think it is. To the interviewer, it probably sounds like a natural pause and they will be pleased that you are going to give them a considered answer instead of blurting out the first thing that comes to mind.

Step 7: Last but not least, SMILE! Even though the employer can’t see you, smiling alters the tone of your voice and will make you feel more positive and enthusiastic, which will in turn make you more convincing. And when you’re done, it’s definitely appropriate to do this.

Edited by Caroline Chan

Emma Sims

Nottingham

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!