Paige Roden: SU Equal Opportunities and Welfare Candidate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Her Campus Nottingham met with 3rd year English student Paige Roden to talk about her Equal Opportunities and Welfare campaign! Paige is from Peterborough- known to many as just that place their train stops at. She has taken part in lots of student groups and events since being at Nottingham- her most recent being organising the Pride Ocean night!

Can you tell us a bit about what the role of Welfare and Equal Opps officer entails?

The Welfare Officer oversees the wellbeing of every student here at the University of Nottingham and ensures that every student feels supported. They also check in and make sure that the networks, SRS groups (student-run services such as Nightline, Student Minds, Night Owls etc.) and any other welfare or equal opportunities-based groups are operating happily and efficiently.

Why would you be good at it?

I’ve had a lot of experience in welfare, volunteering and fundraising groups and I’ve gotten so heavily involved because I simply enjoy helping other people. I can’t embellish it or make it seem fancy, my reasoning behind getting involved is because I want to support people and I think this passion is needed for the position, so I know I can definitely bring it to the Welfare Officer role.

It seems like you’ve done a lot of work for the welfare of students already (e.g. Easy Tiger Campaign, Week One mentor). How do you think this has influenced you campaign?

Being a Week One Rep and Welcome Week Mentor really showed just how important that first week is to students and how much support is needed, not just for students but for Mentors/Committee and everyone involved. A big thing I want to push in my campaign is making sure that committees feel they can take on roles and balance other commitments; uni isn’t just about doing a degree, there are so many opportunities available and if people want to take them then they should feel like they can and be supported in doing so.

Becoming a part of the LGBT Committee was also a huge influence in my campaign as it showed me the need to cater to everyone’s needs and work on integrating and collaborating with groups. The other welfare things I’ve done such as Student Volunteer Week and Easy Tiger reinforced these ideas that the Welfare Officer needs to make students a lot more aware of the services available as well as be an approachable figure that anyone can come to.

What are some of the main aspects of your manifesto?

My long term aim is striving to reduce the stigma surrounding mental health, as this is a barrier for some people to use our services and contact the Welfare Officer. Because of the myths surrounding it many students don’t feel like they can open up about mental health and seek support if needed. Everyone has mental health but I don’t think many see it this way, they only see the myth that those with mental illnesses etc. are the ones with mental health. This is a huge attitude change but I’m determined to get the ball rolling in such a change.

I’d also like to work closely with the Postgraduate Officer as postgraduate students are severely overlooked when their wellbeing needs taking care of equally as much as any other student. As well as this I’d like more water dispensers installed in main buildings/libraries and welfare reps on every course society, to provide people with approachable figures they can talk to who have already experienced the degree as well as uni life.

Are you expecting any parts of the job to be particularly difficult? Why?

I think I’ll learn a lot more about the role if I am elected. I’ve chatted loads with Sarah (the current Welfare Officer) about the role but the role is so varied, each day is different and so it may be a tad difficult just getting used to the style of the job but I’m so excited to support and represent our students so I think I’ll be ok and I’ll get used to it.

Do you have a particular campaign strategy?

I’m just being myself. I want people to see me and know that I’m a person just like everyone else and I am approachable. Sometimes it comes across that you’re just a number on a ballot or that the Officers are these secret people you never see, but that’s not the kind of person I am so I’m just going about as I would and hopefully people will see that.

Anything you’d like to add for our readers?

Please make sure you use your vote and don’t waste it, the Officers are here to represent you so have your say in who does it!

QUICKFIRE ROUND

If you were a DJ, what would your DJ name be? DJ Russian Doll (My fellow mentors gave me this nickname)

Ocean- yay or nay? Love it, in fact I love it so much that I organised Pride Ocean with Andy Hoe

VKs or Jagerbombs? VKs (orange ones of course)

RomCom’s or Horror films? Horrors

What category are you best at in a pub quiz? Literature

Dream holiday destination? Italy

Thank you Paige- we wish you the best of luck with your campaign! 

Kate Kilby

Nottingham