Ones to watch: JCR President Newark Hall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Name: Abdi Ahmed

Course: Management

Year: 2

What is your background?

Home for me is Zurich but I have lived in Sheffield for the past couple of years

That must mean that you have a couple of languages up your sleeve?

Well I can speak four languages which are English, Somali, Arabic and Swiss- German

Definitely puts the majority of us to shame! What is your current role?

I am the JCR President for Newark Hall on Jubilee Campus

What first attracted you to the role?

It was highly recommended to me by peers since they believed the role fit my personality like a glove.

What does your role entail?

I act as the anchor between the students and the Students Union. I represent the voice of the 400 people that live in Newark Hall.

That sounds like a lot of responsibility. Do you have any advice for the people running for office for the next term?

The most important advice that was given to me is to be as honest as possible as your audience can see right through a façade. False promises are also very hard to follow through.

How do you deal with the work? Have you found balance between both your role and degree?

I operate an “Open Door Policy”- the clue is in the name. My ethos is that you can come to me for help any time anywhere. My door Is literally always open. I also am known to operate on zero hours of sleep, but that is not what I recommend!

What would you say is the best part of your job?

All of it really. My job is literally getting to know as many people as possible, to varying depths, from all walks of life. It’s also incredibly rewarding hearing positive feedback from the many events that I organise. Knowing that I have made people enjoy their first year university experience really makes everything worthwhile.

Edited by Jenine Tudtud

Sources

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/Jubilee_Campus_MMB_T…

Jenine Tudtud

Nottingham '17

Jenine is a fourth year American and Canadian Studies student at the University of Nottingham and is hoping to get a career in journalism or publishing. She is currently one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Nottingham! She has just returned from The College of New Jersey after spending the past year studying abroad.