Notts Christmas this November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Every year around November, communities gather to turn on the public Christmas lights and start the festivities in the local area. If you’ve passed through Market Square during the past week, you’ll have seen the beginning preparations for the opening of the city’s very own Winter Wonderland.

The Olde England style market will open its doors from Thursday 20 November and will run through until Sunday 4 January 2015. As with many celebrations in the county, Robin Hood will be lingering in the background. Keep your eye out for Robin Hood themed stalls and local goodies keeping the legendary outlaw alive. The big lights switch on event of 2014 will take place this Friday, 21 November, where live entertainment starts from 5.30pm in Market Square and the actual lights switch-on will be done at 6.30pm by a local family.

If you’ve never been to the Nottingham Christmas market before, you’re in for a treat. Although not as big as other markets in the Midlands such as Birmingham, the Victorian cabins that host the stalls are rustic and full of charm. The Christmas spirit really comes alive with the decorations, music, games stalls and atmosphere. If you’ve been before, there are plenty of reasons to return, with the market reviving and changing slightly each year.

The snow topped cabins are just so cute!

There will be a craft and gift market as always, selling items (many handmade by local craftspeople) such as scented goodies, winter accessories, sweet treats and jewellery. This year’s market will host not one, but two bars! The Winter Bar has great views of the ice rink if you’re not into skating or prefer to watch others fall over.  It also has a bandstand where live acts will be performing throughout the Christmas season. On Long Row, there is also a Helter Skelter Bar (the only one in the world!) selling mulled wine and spiced cider, to warm us all up this cold winter.

The ice rink is bigger this year (30 x 25m) and between 4-7pm on Friday, Pink Pixie Parties will be opening the ice rink with a Frozen experience. Expect to see excited children meet their favourite Disney snow princesses on the ice. If Frozen isn’t your thing, but you still want to skate, book your tickets online to avoid disappointment. Student prices are £6.50 for 45 minutes, just bring your student ID.  The rink is open daily, 11am – 10pm.

Skating in a Winter Wonderland.

Image Sources

http://www.nottinghamwinterwonderland.co.uk/festive/festive.html

http://www.nottinghamwinterwonderland.co.uk/index.html

Edited by Sam Carey

Leona Hinds

Nottingham

Leona is a final year languages student. This year she's back in Nottingham after spending her year abroad in the Canary Islands and China. She is sporty, curious and has a weakness for Kit Kat Chunkys.
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!