The Nottingham Uni 5kg Cheddar: The Truth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Her Campus have had an exclusive update about the whereabouts and conditions of The Cheese, Nottingham Uni’s dairy product that proved a hit on social media last week . Facebook was subjected to an array of ever-worsening cheesy puns in the owner’s bid to sell the 5kg cheddar, but few people know the truth…

The Cheese was bought from Makro Wholesalers as part of a house shopping trip last week. Niall O’Kane, third year Environmental Science student, thought he was getting an absolute bargain – little did he know he was about to blow £22 on a block of mild cheddar that they could never conceivably get through.

‘The label said £4.33 which I thought was incredibly cheap for that amount of cheese!’ says Niall. ‘It was only when I checked the receipt afterwards that I realised The Cheese had been £4.33/kilo, and I had accidentally purchased 5 kilograms of mild, average-quality cheddar.’

This was not the end of the drama. Sam Young, the advertiser of The Cheese and also part of the disastrous shopping trip, told Her Campus that the following morning, the household awoke to find The Cheese had been stolen.

A friend and neighbour of the boys, Joanne Broad, had misinterpreted an offer of a free portion of The Cheese, and instead taken the entire 5kg. Gleeful Snapchats were sent, upon which the original owners of The Cheese demanded it be immediately returned.

Having reclaimed their accidental purchase, the boys realised that with their student budgets they could not justifiably keep the large and expensive cheese. It was at this point that the infamous snap of The Cheese was posted to the Facebook page Buy/Sell Tickets (Notts Uni). Punny responses flowed until it seemed that it had all died down, with no sign of a sale.

It wasn’t until the next day that one lone man in the crowd piped up, desperate to acquire the famous Cheese. After lengthy negotiations between the two parties, Her Campus can reveal that The Cheese has been sold to Nottingham University Hockey Team for a bargain £15. A loss of £7, but at least many a laugh was got out of it.

And what exactly do Hockey want with a 5 kilogram block of mild cheddar? Her Campus can only imagine …

Edited by Sam Carey

Alice Billin

Nottingham

I am a second year student at the University at Nottingham, where I study English with Creative Writing, with the hope to one day be able to write professionally, ideally novels. I love both performing and watching music, going to the theatre and reading and writing, and try to get involved in all of these whilst at Uni.
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!