Nick Gill: President of The Nottingham New Theatre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Meet our Campus Celebrity, President of The Nottingham New Theatre, Nick Gill! 

So how did you first get involved with theatre?

A great deal of thanks goes to my parents. My Mum and Dad have taken me to shows since I was very small, and my Dad teaches English Literature at a secondary school, so always encouraged me to audition for the school plays etc. I was thoroughly baptised into it aged 10, where I played Jimmy Bean in my primary school’s production of ‘The Pied Piper of Hamlin’. I have been hooked on theatre ever since. When I came to Nottingham it was the first society I signed up to at Freshers Fair.

Is being president fun?

90% of the time it’s an absolute treat. The 17 person strong committee is fantastic and their level of commitment makes my job so much easier than it might be. Running a renowned institution which puts on 30 shows a year and has 400 members is very daunting, but I have so many brilliant people around me to help that I need never panic. It’s also our 50th Anniversary so I get to engage with so many brilliant former New Theatre members. Helping organise events which celebrates New Theatre is an absolute privilege. However, as I’m sure any head of a student run society can agree with, it’s knackering. Meetings with the SU seem to come out of thin air, which can be stressful with deadlines. Overall though, I’m loving it!

What’s the best play you’ve ever seen and the best play you’ve ever been in?

The most amazing professional production I’ve ever seen is a piece called ‘Translunar Paradise’ from a small company called Theatre ad Infinitum. It’s a mind blowing piece of mask and movement theatre about love and loss and everyone needs to see it! The best thing I’ve seen at the New Theatre is ‘Blackbird’ by David Harrower, directed by Gus Herbert and starring Shannon Smith in 2014. I’ve had the pleasure of acting with both of them and have been directed by Gus twice since then.

I’m extremely proud of all the NNT productions I’ve been involved with, especially recently with ‘Gatsby’ and ‘A View from the Bridge’ which were to a high standard. However, I’m most proud of my performance in ‘Bottleneck’, a one-man show by Luke Barnes which I performed last summer at STUFF, the festival on campus last summer. The play follows a 13 year old working class boy from Liverpool who tragically experiences the Hillsborough disaster. As a Liverpool supporter from Merseyside, this project was very close to my heart.

Do you have a favourite play?

So difficult to pick! I love ‘Skylight’ by David Hare and all the Tenessee Williams/Arthur Miller stuff but I’ll choose ‘Journey’s End’ by R C Sheriff. Just the most moving portrayal of Trench Warfare during WW1.

What’s your favourite character from a play?

The Headmaster from ‘The History Boys’ or Snug from ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’. You can’t really beat Hamlet though #castme.

Do you have any pre-show rituals/ superstitions?

Pointless nervous pacing, wild flicking through script and a strong urge to urinate. No, not really. Saying my first line over and over tends to happen though. Usually cock it up subsequently.

What’s the most embarrassing thing you’ve had to do for New Theatre?

It was embarrassing/glorious. Playing Flute/Thisbe in ‘Midsummer’ I was in drag, complete with a beautiful blond wig and balloon breast implants. Just fabulous.

Is New Theatre more time consuming than your degree?

Yes, I won’t lie to you. I do attend the vast majority of my course but the reading is pretty scarce if I’m honest. President + 2 shows a term = full time job. Hope my Mum never reads this!

Are you going to go into theatre after uni?

I plan to do Am-Dram until my last breath, but I can’t face the idea of being a penniless failed actor aged 40. At any given time, 90% of actors are without work. I couldn’t cope with that lifestyle. It’s not impossible of course, but I want to keep acting as a hobby.

Edited by Katie Randall