Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Nottingham News

The Legalisation of Gay Marriage

By Beth Rowland
April 5, 2014 - 4:46pm

As of midnight on 28th March 2014, it is now legal for homosexual couples to marry. The government passed the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act in July 2013, but it was only from 13th March that gay couples could register their intention to marry, and from 29th March that the ceremony could be performed. The news marked the culmination of years of campaigning by gay couples to have British law recognise their unions. In 2005, England and Wales introduced civil partnerships to allow homosexual couples the same legal rights as heterosexual partners, but for many that was not enough. Many couples who refused a civil partnership are looking forward to being officially married. READ MORE

11 Things You’ll Only Understand If You’re a Final Year Student

By Sheetal Mistry
April 3, 2014 - 4:00am

1.       You’re attempting to balance your dissertation with as much Ocean as you can – because, you know, #YOSO (You're Only a Student Once).   2.       At the same time, you’ve become so well-acquainted with the library that the night-time staff are like family.   3.       ...which means most of the time you look like this: READ MORE

Campus Style: HC's Fashion Party Highlights

By Hannah Rought, Joanna Webley-Brown
April 1, 2014 - 2:49pm

If you weren’t at the Her Campus CoppaFeel event on March 31st, you really missed out – I mean there were free cupcakes, a fashion show…did I mention the free cupcakes?! And to top it all off we raised a whooping £600. The icing on the boob-shaped cake was, of course, the lovely (and very fashionable) people who attended, all of which made my job a lot easier! These stunning first years looked ready for the fashion show themselves! With a cool mix of everyone’s favourite high street stores – Topshop and Zara, they most definitely brought evening glamour to the event! READ MORE

Uni News: Top 4 Stories of the Month

By Bradley Deas
March 31, 2014 - 4:00am

Have you been living in a coursework-induced bubble? Bradley Deas informs you of all the goings-on in Nottingham that you may have missed out on! Forest sack Davies after second stint Mr Billy Davies, until recently of Nottingham Forest, has been sacked by the club after a run of seven games without a win, with the 5-0 loss to local rivals Derby County proving to be the final straw. Perhaps Forest have a ‘thing’ about appointing managers who have had stints with rival clubs, as they are now looking towards former Notts County, Sheffield United and Leeds United manager Neil Warnock to steady the ship until the end of the season. The situation will be reviewed in the summer. READ MORE

Scientists Find First Evidence to Support the Big Bang Theory

By Alice Billin
March 27, 2014 - 5:00am

Scientists find first evidence to support the Big Bang Theory – Alice Billin READ MORE

Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher Expecting First Baby

By Imogen Vance
March 27, 2014 - 5:00am

‘That 70’s Show’ co-stars Mila Kunis, 30, and Ashton Kutcher, 36, have announced that they are expecting. The news came out when “multiple sources” told ‘US Weekly’ about the pregnancy. ‘US Weekly’ reported that the couple are “so happy” with the news. Kutcher is turning to ‘That 70’s Show’ co star Danny Masterson, who played rebellious teenager Steven Hyde in the show, for parenting advice as Masterson and his wife Bijou Phillips welcomed their first child Fianna Francis to the world this Valentine’s Day 2014. We can only hope the kids will be starring in a future version called ‘That 90’s Show’ where they’ll be doing the Macarena at school discos and making mixed tapes for their sweethearts....

Feminism in Britain

By Polly Renouf
March 25, 2014 - 5:00am

As International Women’s Day was on 8th March, it seemed topical to look at feminism’s political significance in contemporary Britain. More recently in the feminist sphere there has been talk of ‘fourth-wave’ feminism. In some ways this has proved to be the re-branding feminism, desperately needed in order to distance itself from the image that feminism precludes men and a feminism that was strongly associated with ‘man-hating’. The deputy editor of the New Statesman, Helen Lewis, has praised this new movement in feminist campaigning: “It feels as though there’s a greater energy to the feminist movement now than I’ve experienced before in my adult life”. READ MORE

Design Your Own Meal: Printing Just Got Real

By Katy Roe
March 21, 2014 - 5:00am

Exciting recent technological developments have led to the incredible ability to print solid three dimensional objects with the use of 3D printers. Objects can be designed and then printed using new digital technology which has been developed by manufacturing companies across the globe. So how exactly does it work? Firstly, the printer processes a 3D digital representation of an object created by a design programme. It then reads the object in 2D slices. The chosen material of the object is put into the printer, to then be built up layer by layer. After a few hours, when the layers have been bonded through the melting or depositing of the material, the product will be fully formed and ready to use....

Ukraine and Russia Simplified

By Bradley Deas
March 19, 2014 - 5:00am

So, as we all know World War 3 is about to break out and what better way to get prepared than for us at Her Campus to fill you in on the basics behind the dispute/feud/argument/tension/tussle. Because we all want to know what we’re actually fighting for! Why, why, why?! What this dispute essentially boils down to is an internal tension within Ukraine itself. Eastern Ukraine and the Crimean peninsula on the northern coast of the Black Sea have more of a cultural connection to Russia, where they speak Russian interchangeably with Ukrainian. In addition to this, the political ideals in these regions are more closely aligned to those of Russia. Western Ukraine residents, on the other hand, seem to more clearly identify with Eastern Europe....

How Smart Are Smart Drugs?

By Faiza Peeran
March 17, 2014 - 5:00am

Taking drugs whilst at university has never been a surprising event – students have always had the urge to try substances, both legal and illegal, to blow off steam or just for the thrill. However, a new trend seems to be on the horizon – that involves taking study drugs for educational, rather than recreational purposes. But exactly how smart are these so called ‘smart’ drugs? READ MORE