Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Nottingham Features

Meet the HC Notts Exec - Old and New

By Samantha Carey, Sheetal Mistry, Hannah Rought, Imogen Vance, Kimberley Bond, Joanna Webley-Brown, Harriet Dunlea
June 15, 2014 - 7:48pm

Now we’re at the end of term, we’re sad to say goodbye to our graduating execs Sheetal and Hannah. The girls gave HC Notts a few words about their time with us and what they’ve got planned for the future!   Sheetal Mistry – Campus Correspondent READ MORE

1is2Many: Celebrity Campaign Against Sexual Assault

By Alice Billin
June 4, 2014 - 12:51pm

As part of a campaign against sexual assault, the White House recently released a video urging citizens to stand up against sexual abuse and rape. The video features several well-known and respected celebrities and asks viewers to re-evaluate their stance on sexual abuse. Watch it here: READ MORE

Uni News: Top 4 Stories Of The Month

By Bradley Deas
May 24, 2014 - 11:07am

Her Campus Nottingham brings you a round-up of what's been going on in Notts in the past month!   King of Prison Jailed for Dangerous Driving Think back. It’s a year ago in April and the sun is beginning to show its first signs of re-awakening. A glorious time for all; but all you can think about is your intense craving for an ice-cold treat. The famous Calippo, fan’s favourite the Fab or a simple 99! All almost impossible to turn down but you’ve got to focus; hands back on the wheel and get through this traffic. READ MORE

The Pros of Procrastination

By Beth Rowland
May 15, 2014 - 4:00am

It’s exam time again, and that can mean only one thing: I suddenly have an overwhelming, irreversible obsession with procrastination. Whether it’s online shopping, watching a movie, or reading endless Daily Mail articles online, I just can’t seem to concentrate on revision. And I’m sure I’m not the only one – if you’re reading this, it’s probably because you are procrastinating. If you are meant to be revising or writing an essay right now, don’t worry – I’m not going to tell you to stop reading and start working. Quite the opposite; I’m going to tell you why procrastination might actually be really helpful. But before I do that, here are some fun but completely useless facts just to make this look even more like procrastination. Did you know any of these...

New Tool Predicts How Many Likes Your Instagram Pic Will Get

By Imogen Vance
May 12, 2014 - 4:00am

MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) has created a tool which can predict how many likes your Instagram pic will receive. The ‘Popularity Demo’ determines what makes an image popular through two factors: what’s in the picture and the social context. The clever tool was invented by Aditya Kholsa (MIT), Atish Das Sarma (eBay Research Labs) and Raffay Hamid (DigitalGlobe) by “using a dataset of about 2.3 million images from Flickr” the research team “can reliably predict the noramlized view count of images … using both image content and social cues.” READ MORE

Why Easter is Overrated

By Samantha Carey
April 19, 2014 - 3:11pm

Spending 2+ hours hunting for eggs around a garden while characteristically British Springtime rainclouds gather overhead can only be fun when you’re under the age of 10. Those clouds are a metaphor for every teenager and adults mood.     And there always seems to be something getting in the way of you winning…   The Easter Bunny is like the less loved child in the family with Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. And these kids don’t look too happy to be collecting their eggs… READ MORE

The Legalisation of Gay Marriage

By Beth Rowland
April 5, 2014 - 4:46pm

As of midnight on 28th March 2014, it is now legal for homosexual couples to marry. The government passed the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act in July 2013, but it was only from 13th March that gay couples could register their intention to marry, and from 29th March that the ceremony could be performed. The news marked the culmination of years of campaigning by gay couples to have British law recognise their unions. In 2005, England and Wales introduced civil partnerships to allow homosexual couples the same legal rights as heterosexual partners, but for many that was not enough. Many couples who refused a civil partnership are looking forward to being officially married. READ MORE

11 Things You’ll Only Understand If You’re a Final Year Student

By Sheetal Mistry
April 3, 2014 - 4:00am

1.       You’re attempting to balance your dissertation with as much Ocean as you can – because, you know, #YOSO (You're Only a Student Once).   2.       At the same time, you’ve become so well-acquainted with the library that the night-time staff are like family.   3.       ...which means most of the time you look like this: READ MORE

Campus Style: HC's Fashion Party Highlights

By Hannah Rought, Joanna Webley-Brown
April 1, 2014 - 2:49pm

If you weren’t at the Her Campus CoppaFeel event on March 31st, you really missed out – I mean there were free cupcakes, a fashion show…did I mention the free cupcakes?! And to top it all off we raised a whooping £600. The icing on the boob-shaped cake was, of course, the lovely (and very fashionable) people who attended, all of which made my job a lot easier! These stunning first years looked ready for the fashion show themselves! With a cool mix of everyone’s favourite high street stores – Topshop and Zara, they most definitely brought evening glamour to the event! READ MORE

Uni News: Top 4 Stories of the Month

By Bradley Deas
March 31, 2014 - 4:00am

Have you been living in a coursework-induced bubble? Bradley Deas informs you of all the goings-on in Nottingham that you may have missed out on! Forest sack Davies after second stint Mr Billy Davies, until recently of Nottingham Forest, has been sacked by the club after a run of seven games without a win, with the 5-0 loss to local rivals Derby County proving to be the final straw. Perhaps Forest have a ‘thing’ about appointing managers who have had stints with rival clubs, as they are now looking towards former Notts County, Sheffield United and Leeds United manager Neil Warnock to steady the ship until the end of the season. The situation will be reviewed in the summer. READ MORE