Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Nottingham Features

Lad Culture in UK Universities: Being Ignored?

By Naomi Upton
September 15, 2014 - 5:18pm

‘Lad culture’ has officially been coined as a ‘problem ignored’ by the President of the National Union of Students, Toni Pearce, in a report by the BBC. According to Pearce, ‘a survey 2,000 students commissioned by the NUS suggests a quarter of those polled had experienced unwelcome sexual advances’. Rape jokes and trivialising sexual assault has also become a widely noticed occurrence, with two thirds of students observing this objective sense of humour on campus. READ MORE

Are They NUTS? No - They're NSTV!

By Samantha Carey
September 15, 2014 - 3:11pm

UoNs student-run television station today announced that they’re rebranding; it’s goodbye NUTS, hello NSTV! NSTV this year welcomed an almost entirely new exec team, and with fresh faces come fresh ideas. Rory O'Shea, Station Director, said "NSTVs new image is a reflection of the changing face of student television, a service that is still available to all the students at the university”.  And with NUTS’ obvious association with the infamous Lads’ mag, the name change aims to bring a more professional, quality tone to the station. “And most importantly,” says Rachel Berkoff, Director of Content, “we’re getting rid of the BRIGHT ORANGE”. READ MORE

Jubilee Campus Fire: Trent Students React With No Sympathy

By Harriet Dunlea, Imogen Vance
September 13, 2014 - 2:52pm

Firefighters were called to the scene of a colossal fire on Jubilee Campus yesterday which has destroyed the unfinished GlaxoSmithKline chemistry laboratory.  Crews tackled the blaze from 8.30pm and worked tirelessly through the night to contain the flames, which could be seen from as far away as Beeston. The destruction of the multi-million pound building, which has been partly funded by a £12million grant from GSK, is a major blow for UoN. In the wake of the disaster, Nottingham Trent students took to Twitter to document the events ... but their tweets were far from sympathetic. It seems, even in light of an event that has shocked Nottingham, the old UoN and Trent rivalries die hard....

Fire and Rescue Services battle blaze at Jubilee Campus

By Samantha Carey, Alice Billin
September 12, 2014 - 4:55pm

A fire has broken out on Jubilee Campus, with reports from students claiming it can be seen from as far away as Beeston. Images seem to suggest that the fire has nearly consumed the new GSK Sustainable Chemistry building that is still in the process of being built, but this is yet to be confirmed.    Photo credit: http://www.breakingnews.com/item/2014/09/12/photo-a-fire-has-started-on-...   The fire broke out at approximately 9 o'clock this evening, but Fire and Rescue services are still fighting the blaze.  More to follow.   READ MORE

Meet the HC Notts Exec - Old and New

By Samantha Carey, Sheetal Mistry, Hannah Rought, Imogen Vance, Kimberley Bond, Joanna Webley-Brown, Harriet Dunlea
June 15, 2014 - 7:48pm

Now we’re at the end of term, we’re sad to say goodbye to our graduating execs Sheetal and Hannah. The girls gave HC Notts a few words about their time with us and what they’ve got planned for the future!   Sheetal Mistry – Campus Correspondent READ MORE

1is2Many: Celebrity Campaign Against Sexual Assault

By Alice Billin
June 4, 2014 - 12:51pm

As part of a campaign against sexual assault, the White House recently released a video urging citizens to stand up against sexual abuse and rape. The video features several well-known and respected celebrities and asks viewers to re-evaluate their stance on sexual abuse. Watch it here: READ MORE

Uni News: Top 4 Stories Of The Month

By Bradley Deas
May 24, 2014 - 11:07am

Her Campus Nottingham brings you a round-up of what's been going on in Notts in the past month!   King of Prison Jailed for Dangerous Driving Think back. It’s a year ago in April and the sun is beginning to show its first signs of re-awakening. A glorious time for all; but all you can think about is your intense craving for an ice-cold treat. The famous Calippo, fan’s favourite the Fab or a simple 99! All almost impossible to turn down but you’ve got to focus; hands back on the wheel and get through this traffic. READ MORE

The Pros of Procrastination

By Beth Rowland
May 15, 2014 - 4:00am

It’s exam time again, and that can mean only one thing: I suddenly have an overwhelming, irreversible obsession with procrastination. Whether it’s online shopping, watching a movie, or reading endless Daily Mail articles online, I just can’t seem to concentrate on revision. And I’m sure I’m not the only one – if you’re reading this, it’s probably because you are procrastinating. If you are meant to be revising or writing an essay right now, don’t worry – I’m not going to tell you to stop reading and start working. Quite the opposite; I’m going to tell you why procrastination might actually be really helpful. But before I do that, here are some fun but completely useless facts just to make this look even more like procrastination. Did you know any of these...

New Tool Predicts How Many Likes Your Instagram Pic Will Get

By Imogen Vance
May 12, 2014 - 4:00am

MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) has created a tool which can predict how many likes your Instagram pic will receive. The ‘Popularity Demo’ determines what makes an image popular through two factors: what’s in the picture and the social context. The clever tool was invented by Aditya Kholsa (MIT), Atish Das Sarma (eBay Research Labs) and Raffay Hamid (DigitalGlobe) by “using a dataset of about 2.3 million images from Flickr” the research team “can reliably predict the noramlized view count of images … using both image content and social cues.” READ MORE

Why Easter is Overrated

By Samantha Carey
April 19, 2014 - 3:11pm

Spending 2+ hours hunting for eggs around a garden while characteristically British Springtime rainclouds gather overhead can only be fun when you’re under the age of 10. Those clouds are a metaphor for every teenager and adults mood.     And there always seems to be something getting in the way of you winning…   The Easter Bunny is like the less loved child in the family with Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. And these kids don’t look too happy to be collecting their eggs… READ MORE