Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Nottingham Features

Spotted: The Best 7 LEGGED Costumes

By Harriet Dunlea, Leona Hinds, Phoebe Marsh, Kate Box, Samantha Carey
October 21, 2014 - 9:26am

The largest bar crawl in Europe hit the streets of Nottingham last night, with groups of students showing off some pretty impressive fancy dress efforts. Her Campus presents our favourite team costumes of the night! Were you spotted? Many teams chose to relive their childhood on the infamous bar crawl, with people dressing up as their favourite TV/Film characters and toys! These guys really went to INFINITY AND BEYOND levels of effort READ MORE

Why You Gotta Be So Rude? The ‘Skinny Bitch’ Song Debate

By Kimberley Bond
October 21, 2014 - 1:00am

Attitudes towards women’s bodies have changed recently, and this has been reflected in all facets of the media. Gone are the days of ‘heroin chic’, spearheaded by the waif-like Kate Moss; nowadays, curves are something to be celebrated, with Kate Upton and Kim Kardashian possessing bodies that are the envy of women worldwide.  Recent chart hits, such as Nicki Minaj’s Anaconda, and Meghan Trainor’s All About That Bass, revel in this new found celebration of curviness, rejoicing in their ‘buns’ and ‘booties’. READ MORE

E-readers vs. Books: Has Technology Lost This Time?

By Maria Panteli
October 20, 2014 - 1:00am

In an ever-increasing technological world it seems that many of our bookshelves are shrinking due to the rise of the e-reader. Although resistant at first to venture into the world of virtual libraries, I’ve found that owning a Kindle has had plenty of benefits. Many of the e-book versions of the required books for my English Literature modules were considerably cheaper than their print counterparts; plus, all of the classics are free which was perfect for my Romanticism and Victorian modules. Another useful aspect of my Kindle is that I can click on any word in the text and instantly a definition appears. And of course, the convenience of being able to carry round lots of books on one tiny device rather than lugging a heavy bag to and from campus is a...

Time For Change: Diet Culture And The Body Positive Movement

By Juliane Reuther
October 19, 2014 - 1:00am

Diet culture. Ugh - I wish this didn't exist. I wish I didn't know what a diet, detox or cleanse even is. Diet culture is mainly a female problem. It is very, very hard to find a uni girl who has never been on a restrictive diet before. I myself have been on loads. Low-carb, high-carb, Atkins, low-fat, low-sugar… The list goes on. I am now 21 years old and it took me years to get rid of the cultural expectations of female bodies, which had been burned into my mind for ages. READ MORE

8 Extremely Cute Animals To Help You Succeed At University

By Leah Rafferty
October 17, 2014 - 1:00am

Sometimes we students need a little motivation in order to start work at the beginning of the academic year. So at Her Campus, we thought we would provide you with some motivational animals in order to inspire you to start that first assignment! The first animal comes in the form of a guinea pig. This guinea pig believes that you can start that assignment, even though it seems like you’ve got ages until it’s due. Make this year different and start early, plan ahead and find your geeky guinea pig glasses!     Follow these corgis and keep on going, once you’ve started writing that first paragraph, you’ll be finished in no time… READ MORE

HC Investigates: UoN vs. Trent Rivalries

By Bradley Deas
October 15, 2014 - 1:00am

Since joining university, I’ve been thrown into the notion that Trent are the enemy and they’re significantly inferior to us. This has come in a variety of flavours: from the infamous chants (T-R-E-N-T you’re gonna get a s**t degree being one of my personal favourites) to the varsity events (this also includes the bar crawls). But where does this all come from? It would be too difficult to pinpoint an exact point in the history of the two universities where a hatred for each other developed, however, if you take a look at other parts of the country, you can see that there’s a host of similar relationships: Northumbria and Newcastle, De Montfort and Leicester, Man Met and Manchester, just to name a few. The question is, is this ‘friendly’ opposition a...

The Benefits of Bilingualism

By Hannah Shepperd
October 13, 2014 - 1:00am

There is predicted to be a sharp decline in the number of students choosing to study Modern Languages in the UK, particularly from state schools serving those from low income backgrounds, yet monolingualism is proving to be a significant disadvantage as we become increasingly globalised.  READ MORE

Redefining Rape

By Naomi Upton
October 12, 2014 - 2:27pm

Veronica Ruckh, writing for Total Sorority Move, has sparked discussion after identifying a place between rape and consensual sex- a grey area in which a lot of women have found themselves at one point in their life. READ MORE

Can SATC3 Please Not Be A Thing?

By Kimberley Bond
October 12, 2014 - 9:11am

Thousands of girls and women around the world rejoiced this week, after a photo that was uploaded to Twitter showed Sarah Jessica Parker sitting outside what appeared to be Carrie Bradshaw’s old apartment, with a collection of designer shoes.  The caption and accompanying hashtags ‘"#longdayforCarrie #whewwwwthosesteps #runninginheels #taxi!’ seemed to suggest a third Sex and the City film may be in the works. READ MORE

An Interview with Feeding the 5,000

By Rachel Bates
October 12, 2014 - 1:00am

I was wandering through Market Square last weekend and I noticed a lot of white marquee tents, and as I’m a curious person I went to investigate. I noticed a lot of people walking out with small bowls of curry and I heard someone say one of the best things a student can hear: FREE. Realising that the curry was free, I raced forward because, well, no student is going to turn down a free meal. As I was standing in the queue I noticed a lot of signs saying Feeding the 5,000. Confused I turned to a man in a florescent jacket; note to everyone - when looking for information at an event, always go to a high vis jacketed person. READ MORE