Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Nottingham Features

7 Types of Halloween Costumes and What They Say About You

By Leah Rafferty
October 31, 2014 - 2:00am

The traditional one This costume is quite predictable. It comes in the form of a vampire, a zombie, a witch/wizard. It can be found in most fancy dress shops – try Luvyababes for example – but it shows the effort a person will make to adhere to the fancy dress code. The traditional fancy dress is ideal for a person who wants to play it safe, you’re bound to not be the only zombie at the Halloween party, but your effort is appreciated and your love of Halloween acknowledged.   The one that doesn't try READ MORE

Dance: A Sport or an Art?

By Hannah Shepperd
October 30, 2014 - 2:00am

Whether you simply like to unleash your moves in the club, or you’re a Strictly professional, you may have witnessed, first hand, some of the exhilarating outcomes associated with dancing.    READ MORE

Naughty New Nights in Notts

By Bradley Deas
October 28, 2014 - 2:00am

When it’s time for fun and games we’re sure that you’ve got your favourites to head to - Crisis at Rock City on a Wednesday; Ocean on a Friday. But here at Her Campus, we’re looking to those new events which have hit the scene this academic year to see what all the fuss is about!   Monday - Antics, Oceana Oceana on a Monday has long been known as ‘one to miss’- be it if you’re tight with your money and you’re wanting to pick one night out each week, or even if you’re a party animal who can afford to do everything! READ MORE

Putting the Pumpkin in Pumpkin Spice

By Kate Box
October 27, 2014 - 2:00am

WARNING: these recipes do actually contain pumpkin. In case you haven’t already noticed, we're deep into Starbucks' Pumpkin Spice Latte season. Although I'm a big fan of their PSLs, I still can't get my head around why exactly there’s no trace of pumpkin in their delicious creation. Am I missing something here? Are pumpkins just not that tasty? Whether you want to experiment with some autumnal recipes which actually include pumpkin or satisfy your pumpkin spice cravings, these recipes are simple enough to try at home.  READ MORE

Nottingham's Most Haunted

By Naomi Upton
October 23, 2014 - 1:00am

How better to bring in Halloween than with a trip to one of the city’s spookiest spots? The Galleries of Justice The former jail, police station and courtrooms in the city centre are said to be frequented by the ghosts of those hanged for crimes as small as theft. Reports of shadows, direct responses to questioning and terrifying groans and screams make it a must visit. Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem READ MORE

Will My Girly Voice Hold Me Back?

By Harriet Dunlea
October 23, 2014 - 1:00am

Here’s a demoralising piece of information for every ready-to-take-on-the-world female student reading this: You’re a girl, and you sound like a girl, so no one will ever take you seriously. Get that? You have a feminine voice (how dare you!?) and will never succeed in your career. You’re too screechy and high-pitched, which means you’re less competent. Your naturally woman-like intonation is the barrier between you and the success you deserve. Or, at least, this was suggested to Monica Hanna, a litigator from New York City, by firm partners who listened to her presentations. Twice in the space of two years Hanna was told that her voice was too ‘high’ in the partners’ feedback. READ MORE...

A Woman Looked Nice And Everyone Was Angry

By Naomi Upton
October 22, 2014 - 11:22am

So, Renee Zellweger looks a little different then. After her appearance at Elle's 21st Annual Women in Hollywood Celebration on Monday night, lots of people have lots of stuff to say about one woman’s face. Okay, so she doesn’t look like Renee Zellweger as we remember her- gone is the girl-next-door look we all associate with her much-loved role as Bridget Jones. Instead, wait for it…oh, she’s just a middle aged woman who looks pretty darn happy. READ MORE

The Pros and Cons of Living With Boys

By Helena Kelly
October 22, 2014 - 1:00am

Opening the front door of my second year student home, I was greeted by the near hysterical shrieks of my new housemate Charlotte. “Well, I’m not touching them!”, came the cry down the hallway. It’s 5pm and,  still reeling from a particularly traumatic seminar, I walk in to find my three female housemates gathered in the kitchen inspecting the floor with a look of horror upon their faces. Peering closer, I realise they are, in fact, staring at a mysterious, greyish garment. “What the --?” I begin, before realising said garment is actually a pair of male boxers. Boys underwear. In our spotless kitchen. Just to clarify, they didn’t even look laundered.  That, unfortunately for me, is the harsh reality of living with boys....

Spotted: The Best 7 LEGGED Costumes

By Harriet Dunlea, Leona Hinds, Phoebe Marsh, Kate Box, Samantha Carey
October 21, 2014 - 9:26am

The largest bar crawl in Europe hit the streets of Nottingham last night, with groups of students showing off some pretty impressive fancy dress efforts. Her Campus presents our favourite team costumes of the night! Were you spotted? Many teams chose to relive their childhood on the infamous bar crawl, with people dressing up as their favourite TV/Film characters and toys! These guys really went to INFINITY AND BEYOND levels of effort READ MORE

Why You Gotta Be So Rude? The ‘Skinny Bitch’ Song Debate

By Kimberley Bond
October 21, 2014 - 1:00am

Attitudes towards women’s bodies have changed recently, and this has been reflected in all facets of the media. Gone are the days of ‘heroin chic’, spearheaded by the waif-like Kate Moss; nowadays, curves are something to be celebrated, with Kate Upton and Kim Kardashian possessing bodies that are the envy of women worldwide.  Recent chart hits, such as Nicki Minaj’s Anaconda, and Meghan Trainor’s All About That Bass, revel in this new found celebration of curviness, rejoicing in their ‘buns’ and ‘booties’. READ MORE