Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Nottingham Features

Nottingham's Most Haunted

By Naomi Upton
October 23, 2014 - 1:00am

How better to bring in Halloween than with a trip to one of the city’s spookiest spots? The Galleries of Justice The former jail, police station and courtrooms in the city centre are said to be frequented by the ghosts of those hanged for crimes as small as theft. Reports of shadows, direct responses to questioning and terrifying groans and screams make it a must visit. Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem READ MORE

Will My Girly Voice Hold Me Back?

By Harriet Dunlea
October 23, 2014 - 1:00am

Here’s a demoralising piece of information for every ready-to-take-on-the-world female student reading this: You’re a girl, and you sound like a girl, so no one will ever take you seriously. Get that? You have a feminine voice (how dare you!?) and will never succeed in your career. You’re too screechy and high-pitched, which means you’re less competent. Your naturally woman-like intonation is the barrier between you and the success you deserve. Or, at least, this was suggested to Monica Hanna, a litigator from New York City, by firm partners who listened to her presentations. Twice in the space of two years Hanna was told that her voice was too ‘high’ in the partners’ feedback. READ MORE...

A Woman Looked Nice And Everyone Was Angry

By Naomi Upton
October 22, 2014 - 11:22am

So, Renee Zellweger looks a little different then. After her appearance at Elle's 21st Annual Women in Hollywood Celebration on Monday night, lots of people have lots of stuff to say about one woman’s face. Okay, so she doesn’t look like Renee Zellweger as we remember her- gone is the girl-next-door look we all associate with her much-loved role as Bridget Jones. Instead, wait for it…oh, she’s just a middle aged woman who looks pretty darn happy. READ MORE

The Pros and Cons of Living With Boys

By Helena Kelly
October 22, 2014 - 1:00am

Opening the front door of my second year student home, I was greeted by the near hysterical shrieks of my new housemate Charlotte. “Well, I’m not touching them!”, came the cry down the hallway. It’s 5pm and,  still reeling from a particularly traumatic seminar, I walk in to find my three female housemates gathered in the kitchen inspecting the floor with a look of horror upon their faces. Peering closer, I realise they are, in fact, staring at a mysterious, greyish garment. “What the --?” I begin, before realising said garment is actually a pair of male boxers. Boys underwear. In our spotless kitchen. Just to clarify, they didn’t even look laundered.  That, unfortunately for me, is the harsh reality of living with boys....

Spotted: The Best 7 LEGGED Costumes

By Harriet Dunlea, Leona Hinds, Phoebe Marsh, Kate Box, Samantha Carey
October 21, 2014 - 9:26am

The largest bar crawl in Europe hit the streets of Nottingham last night, with groups of students showing off some pretty impressive fancy dress efforts. Her Campus presents our favourite team costumes of the night! Were you spotted? Many teams chose to relive their childhood on the infamous bar crawl, with people dressing up as their favourite TV/Film characters and toys! These guys really went to INFINITY AND BEYOND levels of effort READ MORE

Why You Gotta Be So Rude? The ‘Skinny Bitch’ Song Debate

By Kimberley Bond
October 21, 2014 - 1:00am

Attitudes towards women’s bodies have changed recently, and this has been reflected in all facets of the media. Gone are the days of ‘heroin chic’, spearheaded by the waif-like Kate Moss; nowadays, curves are something to be celebrated, with Kate Upton and Kim Kardashian possessing bodies that are the envy of women worldwide.  Recent chart hits, such as Nicki Minaj’s Anaconda, and Meghan Trainor’s All About That Bass, revel in this new found celebration of curviness, rejoicing in their ‘buns’ and ‘booties’. READ MORE

E-readers vs. Books: Has Technology Lost This Time?

By Maria Panteli
October 20, 2014 - 1:00am

In an ever-increasing technological world it seems that many of our bookshelves are shrinking due to the rise of the e-reader. Although resistant at first to venture into the world of virtual libraries, I’ve found that owning a Kindle has had plenty of benefits. Many of the e-book versions of the required books for my English Literature modules were considerably cheaper than their print counterparts; plus, all of the classics are free which was perfect for my Romanticism and Victorian modules. Another useful aspect of my Kindle is that I can click on any word in the text and instantly a definition appears. And of course, the convenience of being able to carry round lots of books on one tiny device rather than lugging a heavy bag to and from campus is a...

Time For Change: Diet Culture And The Body Positive Movement

By Juliane Reuther
October 19, 2014 - 1:00am

Diet culture. Ugh - I wish this didn't exist. I wish I didn't know what a diet, detox or cleanse even is. Diet culture is mainly a female problem. It is very, very hard to find a uni girl who has never been on a restrictive diet before. I myself have been on loads. Low-carb, high-carb, Atkins, low-fat, low-sugar… The list goes on. I am now 21 years old and it took me years to get rid of the cultural expectations of female bodies, which had been burned into my mind for ages. READ MORE

8 Extremely Cute Animals To Help You Succeed At University

By Leah Rafferty
October 17, 2014 - 1:00am

Sometimes we students need a little motivation in order to start work at the beginning of the academic year. So at Her Campus, we thought we would provide you with some motivational animals in order to inspire you to start that first assignment! The first animal comes in the form of a guinea pig. This guinea pig believes that you can start that assignment, even though it seems like you’ve got ages until it’s due. Make this year different and start early, plan ahead and find your geeky guinea pig glasses!     Follow these corgis and keep on going, once you’ve started writing that first paragraph, you’ll be finished in no time… READ MORE

HC Investigates: UoN vs. Trent Rivalries

By Bradley Deas
October 15, 2014 - 1:00am

Since joining university, I’ve been thrown into the notion that Trent are the enemy and they’re significantly inferior to us. This has come in a variety of flavours: from the infamous chants (T-R-E-N-T you’re gonna get a s**t degree being one of my personal favourites) to the varsity events (this also includes the bar crawls). But where does this all come from? It would be too difficult to pinpoint an exact point in the history of the two universities where a hatred for each other developed, however, if you take a look at other parts of the country, you can see that there’s a host of similar relationships: Northumbria and Newcastle, De Montfort and Leicester, Man Met and Manchester, just to name a few. The question is, is this ‘friendly’ opposition a...