Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Nottingham Features

UoN Feminists’ Pledge: An End To ‘Lad Culture’?

By Leah Rafferty
October 2, 2014 - 4:00am

The University of Nottingham’s Feminist society have issued a Lad Culture Pledge in order to end the behaviour at the University of Nottingham. ‘Lad Culture’, an increasingly debated topic, has been branded as ‘ignored’ by the NUS President, Toni Pearce. After conducting a survey of 2,000 students, Pearce argues that the presence of laddish behaviour is common at universities throughout the UK. The survey reveals that ‘[a] quarter of those polled had experienced unwelcome sexual advances’ and ‘two thirds had heard rape or sexual assault jokes on campus’. Pearce went on to argue argues that ‘harassment is rife on campus’ and urges UK Universities to ‘acknowledge the problems’ and confront them....

It's a girl! Congratulations Mila and Ashton!

By Imogen Vance
October 1, 2014 - 8:01pm

'That 70s Show' stars Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher welcome a beautiful baby girl to the world on the 30th of September, 6am - just in time for Jewish New Year! The stars have not yet named their baby but have mentioned that they are looking for a traditional Russian name. The two are going strong despite the media bombarding the web with news that Demi Moore (Kutcher's ex wife) is devasted. READ MORE

Lagerfeld for Ladies: Feminism at Paris Fashion Week

By Juliane Reuther
September 30, 2014 - 2:07pm

Fashion Month had almost come to an end when King Karl showed a surprisingly new approach to fashion in his SS14/15 Chanel fashion show earlier today. The long-awaited catwalk show of fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld who is known for his controversial views and classic design, did not disappoint. It never disappoints. After choosing a supermarket as his runway earlier, suggesting his models were housewives taking care of the household, Lagerfeld made a U-turn this year; feminism was this season's 'chic' at the Chanel fashion show. The Grand Palais was redecorated to display a street in Paris and models turned into female protesters. READ MORE

It's Time For A Digital Detox

By Hannah Shepperd
September 30, 2014 - 4:00am

It’s needless to say that technological advancements in the last decade have been incredible. We now have the freedom to access a mass pool of information, readily available in our back pocket. In this increasingly connected world, there is an interdependence between our everyday studies, social relationships and technology. It’s even beginning to shape our culture and the way we communicate on a personal and professional level. READ MORE

How to Beat Homesickness

By Imogen Vance
September 29, 2014 - 4:00am

Homesick? Don't know what to do about it? Read below for tips on overcoming homesickness! READ MORE

HeForShe: Emma Watson's Threats Explained

By Maria Panteli
September 25, 2014 - 4:00pm

As the recently appointed United Nations Goodwill Ambassador, Emma Watson made a powerful speech at the UN Headquarters in which she spoke about the HeForShe campaign for gender equality. Less than a week has passed since the speech was made and already she has received praise by some, yet also been the victim of cruel threats from others. READ MORE

How Not To Do Freshers' Week

By Leona Hinds
September 22, 2014 - 4:00am

Freshers' Week was one of the strangest of my life. I moved into a flat with five strangers in a city I didn't know. Not only was I expected to do admin work (like sorting out my timetable, registering for the doctors), look after myself and make friends, but I also had to dive into the student lifestyle. I'd just returned from a year out in South America and going to Nottingham was another culture shock. I didn't have a crazy week full of parties and alcohol like many other Freshers, and overall I didn't have a good week at all. Here are some things you shouldn't be doing during Freshers Week.   READ MORE

Surviving Scotland During the Referendum - An English Girl's Guide

By Kimberley Bond
September 19, 2014 - 3:29am

Friday  18th September: The Results Are In!: And so, there we have it. Scotland is still part of the UK, with the No campaign securing 55% of the vote. Here is a breakdown of the results (as of 7:18am): (Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2761704/SCOTLAND-REFERENDUM-RESULTS-LIVE-Follow-results-historic-vote-announced-interactive-map.html) READ MORE

10 Things to Expect On Your First Day At Uni

By Beth Rowland
September 18, 2014 - 1:40pm

It’s a big day, your first day at uni. You’ve been building up to it for months and you are about to bubble over with excitement. It’s a day like no other, so if you’re a little bit apprehensive and don’t know what to expect, here’s a handy list of stuff that will definitely happen on your first day!   1.       You will be beyond terrified READ MORE

A Last Minute Guide to the Scottish Referendum

By Maria Panteli
September 18, 2014 - 12:00pm

For the past few weeks the media has been inundated with news regarding today’s Scottish Referendum. But if your response has been something along the lines of ‘referend-erm, what?’ then check out our quick guide to the situation…   The Issue After being part of a union for the past 300 years, Scottish voters will answer the question: ‘should Scotland be an independent country?’ The referendum comes after the Scottish National Party won the Parliament Election back in 2011. This allowed them to run the referendum in the hopes of fulfilling their main goal – to create an independent country. READ MORE