Modern Club Etiquette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Just why is it socially acceptable to kiss strangers in a club when this would not be a social norm of the street? People often don’t even think about this, as they only notice it when brought up in conversation. There are many differing opinions on this matter from both sexes as it is possibly seen as part of club culture although, this does not necessarily have to be seen as a social norm. Upon asking people, for the purpose of this article, the majority would all blame it on alcohol and the confidence that comes with it.

Blame it on the media? Music videos such as this glorify the prevalence of sexuality in clubs. While it may appear forceful, the woman is always into it and leading on the guy. In Sweden, the club culture is to dance behind a girl and if she is into it she would turn around.

A lot of people go out with the intention of getting off with others, they seek this attention! And this isn’t just guys pulling, girls do it just as much if not, more. They said it themselves “girls are just as bad”.

This video would prove otherwise that perhaps you really can go up to strangers and start kissing them. What does this mean? There’s not much importance behind a kiss anymore? Granted, I do agree with that, but there is a certain line as to how you would proposition someone as opposed to dragging them out of a crowd, “it’s a proximity problem”.

However, in the below video based in an American campus much more like a Nott’s student’s situation, everyone said no. It definitely appears that kissing is very club-orientated as people at uni are in more of a working state of mind. It’s so unlikely to see anyone around campus going for it like they would in the secluded corner of a club.

One guy I spoke to thought that “it’s fine if the girl wants it, but you can’t tell in a club atmosphere”. He also said: “I think it’s awful that men believe they have some sort of right to fall on women”. Other guys who have kissed girls in clubs did not necessarily agree with the situation upon thought, arguing that a person’ judgement is impaired when drunk, and so they shouldn’t be blamed. The first guy went on to further justify club culture by saying getting with girls ‘takes [his] mind off’ of his loneliness. Maybe it’s a good thing for people who are not looking for a relationship; just a bit of fun, providing everything is consensual.

One girl believed it’s okay if the guy is attractive, otherwise it’s deemed as creepy. There is a certain reliant on good appearance, and so it could be considered possible that people kiss strangers as a way of proving themselves as more attractive than others.

Image source:

http://media.tab.co.uk/blogs.dir/23/files/2014/05/ie1514r.jpg

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!