A Mini Guide to Nottingham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Nottingham is packed full of amazing restaurants, bars, shops and attractions. Whether you’ve got friends or family visiting for the weekend, or you’re simply looking for somewhere different to go, this mini guide can help you decide! The list is endless but we’ve picked out a few of our favourites here at Her Campus…

FOOD:

Fox Talbots – 67 Mansfield Road

A cute little independent cafe situated in the heart of Nottingham. It serves a range of healthy and delicious breakfasts and lunches (the pancakes with fresh fruit are my favourite), so if you’re in search of somewhere a bit healthier to dine, then this is the place for you.

Bagel Nash – 5a Wheeler Gate

Another one of our favourites, the staff are really friendly and the bagels are to die for! Name pretty much anything and they’ll stick it in a bagel for you. They also have a ‘bagel of the day’ throughout the week priced at just £2.50 – a bagel bargain!

Kitty Cafe – 31 Friar Lane 

For all you cat lovers out there, this one’s for you! This cafe is a cat rescue centre and adults pay £5 upon entrance, with the donation going towards care for cats. So if you love cats, delicious food, and a bit of fun, check it out!

Annie’s Burger Shack – 5 Broadway 

We’d be suprised if you hadn’t heard of this place yet! The famous burger restaurant that everyone is talking about. They provide a whopping 30 different types of burger, including options for vegans. Make sure you book if you plan to go in the evening as it can get really busy! P.S. They do the best curly fries!

BARS:

The Boiler Maker – 36b Carlton Street

If you know, you know. This quirky bar is like nothing you’ve ever seen before. The cocktails are served in the coolest of ways and some even arrive with sparklers! The experience is amazing, but we won’t say anymore! It can get really busy and there’s always a queue to get in, but I promise you, it’s worth the wait.

Coco Tang – 45 Bridlesmith Gate

This one could break the bank so maybe save it for a special occasion; whether it’s celebrating exam results in a few weeks’ time or someone’s birthday! The interior is really dark and mysterious with white fairy lights strung across the ceiling. The atmosphere is great and it sort of feels like you’re in more of a club than a bar as it gets busier. A much more sophisticated night than your usual Wednesday at Crisis.

CookieShake Cafe – 14 Upper Parliament Street

If you’re looking for cheap, yummy shots, the Cookie Cafe is the place to go. They have all sorts of shots and milkshakes from Vodka Oreo to Peanut Butter. They always have really good deals so it’s perfect for socialising and having few drinks before you hit the club. 

RETAIL THERAPY:

Jugglers – 9-13 Goose Gate

This is one of my favourite independent stores to visit. Inside you’ll find a variety of sterling silver jewellery – the rings and earrings are my favourite and are extremely affordable. The staff are also very patient and are more than willing to help you find the perfect piece. 

Hopkinson – 21 Station Street

Nottingham has loads of vintage shops but Hopkinson is by far my personal favourite. It’s full of vintage bric-a-brac and you could easily spend an hour or two browsing their floors. They also have the sweetest little cafe inside, so stop by for a cup of tea and a vintage shopping spree – who knows what you might find? 

Bookwise – 10 Goose Gate

You’ve guessed it, this one’s a book shop. If you’re a bookworm like myself, and find something super special about old, second hand books, you will adore this place. Go explore and get lost in a world full of books.

ATTRACTIONS:

Wollaton Park – Lime Tree Avenue

Wollaton is a beautiful deer park, perfect for a morning or afternoon stroll with company. It’s also famous for its relation to the newer Batman movie series which was filmed just outside Wollaton Hall. So, if you, your friends or family are Batman fanatics, this is a scenic little cost-free trip.

The Galleries of Justice Museum – High Pavement

Something a little different, the Galleries of Justice Museum is all about crime and punishment. It holds loads of events throughout the year, which are both affordable and lots of fun so keep your eyes peeled. 

City of Caves – Drury Walk, Upper Level, Broadmarsh Shopping Centre

A must do when you’re in Nottingham. The City of Caves allows you to discover the world underneath the city streets. A great day out for all the family.

Edited by India-Jayne Trainor 

Sources: 

www.foxtalbots.com

www.bagelnash.com

www.kittycafe.co.uk

www.anniesburgershack.com

www.boilermakerbar.co.uk

www.cocotang.co.uk

www.facebook.com/NottinghamCookieShake/

www.icenine.co.uk

www.vintageshops.co.uk/2012/11/hopkinsons-nottingham.html

http://www.galleriesofjustice.org.uk

www.cityofcaves.com

http://goss.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=24550&locationId=7

http://jugglers.eu