Meet Our Sister Chapter: Her Campus Leeds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

In February, Her Campus Nottingham opted into the Sister Chapter Program, meaning we got paired with the lovely ladies at Her Campus Leeds (which, for all you Americans used to 12 hour car journeys, is practically just down the road!) We got to know with a few icebreaker questions:

1) What course do you study and what year are you in?

Kelan: I study English Lit and am now in my final year although I undertook a placement last year, so I guess I’m in fourth year?

Laura: I also study English Lit – I’m in my third and final year now.

2) Where is your hometown, and how does it compare to Leeds?

Kelan: I’m from Edinburgh, so a bit further north, and it’s definitely a lot colder than Leeds! I don’t know if anyone has been up to Edinburgh (and maybe I’m a little biased) but it’s such a beautiful city, it’s always full of tourists as there is so much to see and do. I guess Leeds is less pretty and less touristy but it’s a city that caters for students which I love.

Laura: I’m from South London. It’s much colder here in Leeds than it is back home! London is obviously an amazing place to live, but I always describe Leeds as sort of like a ‘mini London’ – there’s just as much to do here, but everything’s a lot closer together here – I love the fact I can walk from my house to university to town all in under an hour. Leeds is a really vibrant and fun place to be – the perfect student location.

3) How did you get involved with HC?

Kelan: I got involved with HC during my placement year actually. I found I had more free time to spend writing articles and editing, and from there I became senior editor as (luckily for me) someone dropped out mid-way through last year! This year I’m Editor-In-Chief and love running the mag.

Laura: I got involved with HC in my first year; I helped do page design when we were doing a print edition. I then helped out with social media and then ran for Marketing Director for second year. This year I was lucky enough to be made President!

4) Why did you want to become a CC (Campus Correspondent)?

Kelan: Being a CC seemed a natural step on, I grew to love Her Campus and Leeds and wanted to really make a change by growing its popularity in my final year.

Laura: I couldn’t have said it better than Kelan!

5) What’s been the best part about being involved with HC so far?

Kelan: To be honest, the best experience is probably that it has been amazing experience in the journalism/editing/media field which is what I’d like to do after uni.

Laura: The people!

6) What’s your favourite thing to do in Leeds?

Kelan: I actually don’t know, I think one of my favourite things about Leeds is that there are so many independent bars and restaurants which I love to explore.

Laura: My favourite thing to do is to try new things! I’ve lived here three years now and there are still so many places and activities I still want to explore!

7) Why did you want to do the sister chapter program?

Kelan: When we initially signed up we were intrigued by meeting other chapters around the world, however, it was really hard to build a relationship with the chapter we were paired with in the US. It’s great to be paired with a chapter so close to home and it seems like we have a lot in common!

Laura: Yeah, we’re very excited to have been paired with a UK chapter this time!

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!