This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

HCN’s Helena caught up with musician Beans on Toast (Jay McAllister), and found out what he had to say about touring, new collaborations and Nottingham! 

Hi Jay! What can your fans expect from your new album, ‘Rolling Up The Hill’?

Err, it’s a bit of a different one. On this album, I collaborated with American husband and wife duo, Truckstop Honeymoon. The idea is that they’re going to come over for the tour. They’ll be the supporting act then provide the backing music for my set. So, it is very different to anything I’ve done before. Also, this album has more of a string band feel which makes it different to my previous work.

I suppose it will be nice to have more company on the tour?

Ha, I guess! Well, I’ve always had my touring buddy, Bobby Banjo. I’ve never been that guy who rolls around the country, playing gigs by myself. Truckstop Honeymoon are actually bringing their four kids along which should be interesting!

Oh wow, how is that going to work?

I think the kids will just be staying with various babysitters! They’ve been doing it in America for years so they know what they’re doing, although I personally have no idea how it will work! I’m just so excited to be touring with them.

That’s great! How exactly did you come to collaborate with Truckstop Honeymoon?

Basically, I met them at a festival. When I watched their set, I just had to write to them about how much I enjoyed their show. Then they wrote back, saying how much they enjoyed mine and it all just developed from there. You get that a lot in this world; people are always willing to just get together and create.

Your previous albums have focussed predominantly on sex, drugs and politics. However, if ‘The Great American Novel’ is anything to go by, this one is mainly about your travels?

Well, I’ve given up a lot of drugs that I used to take so I didn’t want to be that guy singing about things that no longer relate to me. As I’m older now, my life is less about sex and more about love. There are also a lot of songs on the album about friendship. Being lucky enough to travel around America all year, I’ve just written about my experiences. To be honest, I have such poor memory, it’s more for my benefit! Writing about my travels will help me remember every detail. Overall, I guess you could say the themes in my song writing have changed but the heart of it is still there.

In your previous work, you have openly professed your left-wing views and general cynicism towards politics. What are your thoughts on Jeremy Corbyn and his attempts to revolutionise Labour?

I really like him – he seems legit! I joined the labour party, paid my £3 and voted; I was really excited when he won. Fingers crossed, he sticks to his word. It’s just amazing to hear a politician actually talk some common sense. He’s actually just saying the most basic things – that nobody in this country should be getting screwed over – but it feels so incredible to hear a politician say that. I guess it just proves how disconnected we have become. So, all the best to Corbyn, I think he’s amazing.

As the new album is about you growing up, how would you advise your younger self? I know this is a bit of a cliché question but our readers are predominantly 18-21 years old!

I’d honestly just say keep doing what you’re doing. I’ve been asked that question before and genuinely, I’d just want to listen to my younger self – I feel I could learn a lot from him! Basically, I am in no position to advise 18-21 year olds, it’s their world, their time – just enjoy it.

Interesting. So, this is your seventh album in as many years, any chances of you slowing down or taking a break?

To be honest, it’s nice to do an album a year because it means I can keep touring. However, there are no rules so, if next year I didn’t feel like creating another album, I wouldn’t. The only promises I make are to myself and it’s entirely up to me whether or not I do these albums so it all comes about very naturally. But, to me, this is my break. I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t keep writing albums every year.

So, on to some more general questions, what is the main difference between UK and US audiences?

No matter where you are, it all feels the same when you’re on stage. I will say that it was all very idealistic. Having grown up listening to a lot of country music, touring around America felt very surreal. It is a folk singer’s dream! I guess what surprised me about the US was the tipping culture. They will pay so much more for things unnecessarily. For example, I’d sell a CD for $15 and they would give me a $20 note. Being English, I would ask them if they wanted change but, most of the time, they didn’t! Obviously, in England, people expect their change.  I made so much money from this tipping culture which is just insane!

Interesting. Which is your favourite UK city to perform in? Please do not feel pressured to say Nottingham!

Oooh, I don’t know! I love them all for different reasons. It’s quite easy to judge a city by how many people come to see you play. Genuinely, I do love Nottingham. I have some dear family friends there. I didn’t get to see them very much before I started touring but now, every time I’m in the city, we have these grand reunions. Also, there’s all the Robin Hood references in Nottingham; Bobby Banjo loves Robin Hood! Equally, I love a lot of other cities, like Glasgow, for example. It’s cool going to new places too. Like, this time, we’re going to Canterbury in Kent where we’ve never toured before and that’s something I’m really looking forward to!

Thank you for your time.

Beans On Toast will be playing at Rescue Rooms in Nottingham on November 21st.  Click here for more information and booking details.

Edited by Georgina Varley 

Images Sources:

https://writewyattuk.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/c2a9-hill-and-aubrey.jpg

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5191134be4b0e86c5964acad/t/560d0adae4b0e63b1c3a7b54/1443695352321/?format=750w

http://www.offbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/truckstop-honeymoon-elsa-hahne.jpg

http://www.thisisnowagency.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Beans-on-Toast-TINA.png