diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How Not To Do Freshers’ Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Freshers’ Week was one of the strangest of my life. I moved into a flat with five strangers in a city I didn’t know. Not only was I expected to do admin work (like sorting out my timetable, registering for the doctors), look after myself and make friends, but I also had to dive into the student lifestyle. I’d just returned from a year out in South America and going to Nottingham was another culture shock. I didn’t have a crazy week full of parties and alcohol like many other Freshers, and overall I didn’t have a good week at all. Here are some things you shouldn’t be doing during Freshers Week.

Feng ShuiMoving into a new room can be exciting and unpacking is a feat that once done is a relief, but I must have spent a few afternoons reorganising my already organised room. I rearranged the books on my shelves and even looked up some basic Feng Shui techniques so I could be happy in my room. But dorm rooms aren’t big on space so there was only so much I could do. It was a waste of time.

We do recommend the Poster Sale though!

Cooking

Cooking is a great habit to get into at uni if you’re in self-catered halls like Raleigh or Broadgate. It’s cheaper and normally healthier than eating out and ready meals. But on your first week you should be taking full advantage of the free Domino’s pizza and those tupperware boxes of home food your parents sent you with. You have all year to perfect your spag bol so why do it now when the kitchen’s main function is pre-drinks?

Beans on Toast is as much cooking as you’re allowed to do during Freshers’ Week.

SkypingSkype is a great way to keep in contact with family and friends whilst at uni but it’s dangerous during the first few weeks. It can make you more homesick as you see where your friends are and what they are doing. Take this opportunity to make new friends, the old ones won’t disown you just because you’ve started a new chapter in your life. Send them a long message instead of video chatting with them for an hour.

Skyping during Week One can leave you feeling ‘boxed in’. (Sorry).

Avoiding Small TalkNo matter how boring you find it there is no way to avoid those same questions that everybody asks (and then forgets the answer to within a day). You’ll be asked your name, where you’re from and what course you’re doing a gazillion times, just get used to it! This isn’t just for first years, it still happens every time you make new friends over the course of uni.

Kate was sure she’d had this conversation before…

Starting a new TV series/seasonAlthough the last season of your favourite show was awesome and you can’t wait to start the next one, hold it off for a couple of weeks until you’ve got into a routine. If not, days could be spent in your bedroom in Freshers as there aren’t many classes you have to go to and the episodes are all so readily available on Netflix. Save it for a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Facebook stalkingIt’s tempting to see how your friends are getting on at their new universities but stay away from Facebook stalking old classmates. Definitely don’t start stalking your new flatmates, just talk to them instead of clicking on their tagged photos and then pressing the left key. We’ve all done it but now is not the time.

Not going outFreshers’ Week is the one week where going out every night is acceptable! With different themes to help you get in the mood (everything from Jungle to Back to School to Mexican) you can dress up and have fun with the people in your halls. It’s normal to be nervous about going out with all these strangers but instead of spending the whole day umming and ahhing about it just buy a ticket with your flatmates and go. It’s no fun being the only one in your flat all night when over 80% of the block is out having fun. You can always come home if you don’t like it!

You’ll probably get to know Ocean well…

There’s plenty of time for procrastinating and procrastibaking during those rainy days, coursework deadlines and Mondays. Use Freshers’ Week to go out, make friends and see some of Nottingham. Don’t spend it Feng Shui-ing, Facebook stalking or talking to people from back home. Good luck!

Edited by Sam Carey

Leona Hinds

Nottingham

Leona is a final year languages student. This year she's back in Nottingham after spending her year abroad in the Canary Islands and China. She is sporty, curious and has a weakness for Kit Kat Chunkys.
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!