How to Make the Most Out of Your Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Halloween is most famously celebrated the other side of the pond in the US where girls can dress like sluts for a night and get away with it, and begging strangers for chocolate and sweets is totally acceptable. Let’s be honest, over here it doesn’t sound that much different. However, having spent Halloween in the States on a couple of occasions it is fairly obvious that like most holidays and celebrations, Americans tend to do it that little bit better with over-the-top decorations, outrageous costumes and enough food to feed the Third World. Admittedly England and especially the student community have embraced this tradition over the years with thousands splattering themselves in fake blood ready for a night out dressed as something out of a spooky FHM magazine. But Halloween is much more than getting wasted and doing the walk of shame in that Devil outfit that seemed more appropriate the night before. Here are just a few ways of embracing your inner ghost and making the holiday last longer than those few drunken hours in Ocean.

Have your own scary movie marathon.
Halloween is definitely an excuse to have a break from your studying and enjoy the company of your friends whilst watching the films you were too scared to watch alone. This typically involves hiding behind pillows, becoming paranoid about noises coming from the other room, and after hours of pretending you’re not scared, getting your friend to walk you to the bathroom to make sure that there is nothing hiding behind the shower curtain.

Go on a real life Ghost Walk.
Ever watched Derek Acorah on ‘Most Haunted’ and wished that you could be a part of such an experience? Well now you can with Nottingham’s very own Ghost Walks just visit here for more information. Similarly the Galleries of Justice Museum is running ‘Ghost Tours’ and ‘Terror Tours’ that guarantee to “instill fear and pure terror upon you”, more info here. Get yourself involved if you dare.

Carve your very own pumpkin.
Pumpkins are already lining the aisles of Nottingham’s supermarkets and what better way to show your Halloween spirit and flair for the artistic than to carve your own pumpkin? All you need is an orange pumpkin, a knife, a scoop and some imagination.

Go to Nottingham’s City of Caves for the Grisly Gore Tour.
Not one for big scares but want to embrace this year’s Halloween? Well Nottingham’s City of Caves offers a Halloween special actor-led tour involving “stinky smells to freaky feely boxes”. Visit here for more details. If anything this provides you with an opportunity to tick Nottingham caves off of your Uni bucket list.

Keep up with tradition.
Celebrate Halloween as many Notts students have done before. Make sure you complete your Halloween experience by either going to a house party or heading into the city where most bars and clubs are hosting their own Halloween nights. Remember it is far more socially acceptable to dress like the characters from ‘Mean Girls’ and act like crazed demons when you’re a student so dress up, drink up and scare on.

Allie Pinder

Nottingham

Allie is a fourth year American Studies student, who returned from a year abroad studying at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, where she joined the Illinois Zeta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi Sorority. She is the Social Secretary of the AmeriCan Society at Nottingham, enjoys travelling, and has a tiny obsession with the Lion King.