How To: Get Over Interview Heartbreak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Getting rejected after an interview is like being told after a first date that he doesn’t really like you as much as he thought he did. After all those weeks of fretting over application forms/batting your eyelashes, you had the chance to prove how much of a perfect fit you would be – only to find that the other side was not too impressed. Gutted. So now you have a choice – do you confine yourself to your room, only eat Ben and Jerry’s Cookie Dough and religiously watch The Notebook until you’ve forgotten the mean outside world exists? Or do you get up, brush yourself off and remind yourself that there are plenty more fish in the sea (of jobs)? Her Campus Nottingham shows you how to mend your broken career heart, and get back on that path to the job of your dreams.

1. Acceptance

As with any kind of heartbreak, the first step to moving on is to accept the fact that it’s happened. Yes, that job may have been perfect for you, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that you were perfect for it – so no amount of Phish Food or rom-com marathons are going to change that. People get rejected every minute of every day – from jobs, by exes, at the door to Oceana – it is a natural obstacle of life, and the sooner you realise that, the less painful everything will be.

1. Therapy

Saying that, accepting your fate doesn’t mean you’re totally healed. Heartbreak hurts. So there’s nothing wrong with being a little self-indulgent to help bring that smile back to your face. A cute little skirt, trip to the cinema or a feast at Nando’s is perfect in reminding us that there are still awesome things out there in the world of the unemployed. Just stay away from the calorie-infested ice cream!

1. Evaluate

Now you’ve soothed the hole in your heart (and stomach) somewhat, it’s time to get down to business. Clearly something went wrong which led to you getting turned down. And as much as you probably don’t want to, it’s important that you know what this is so you don’t repeat this mistake the next time. Take a deep breath and give that company a ring. In most cases, they will be happy to give you personalised, constructive feedback. Whilst this may feel as awkward and as agonising as calling an ex to ask for your jumper back, they are trying to help you (the company, not necessarily the ex). And being made aware of your weaknesses means you’ll be impossible to resist on your next try! (Again, still talking about the company. It’s highly unlikely that hearing your weaknesses from your ex will serve you well).

1. Action

So now you know what tripped you up last time. Write a list, and stick it on that wall of yours. At first, seeing the words ‘lacking in confidence’ every morning will probably have you running back to the Cookie Dough (don’t do it!) – but remind yourself that you’re a work in progress. Last time they felt your nerves let you down. For the next time, focus on getting rid of them (or at the very least, hiding them more efficiently!). Actively work on these issues in your everyday life, not just for your next interview. Volunteer to be the first seminar presenter. Join a new society where you have to go out and meet new people. Just doing the littlest of things will help you address these challenges without you even realising them. And don’t forget, there were parts of your interview that were strong (hopefully they told you these on the phone too!). Bits of you may be under construction, but in other areas you are already built – I would say that deserves another trip to Nando’s.

1. Jump

Your heartbreak healing process may take days or months, but it’s never too late to get back out there. One day, a new exciting role will catch your eye and you’ll have to decide – am I ready to pursue this yet? And even if you feel you aren’t – go for it anyway. What have you got to lose? Just be you (because you’re awesome), and add those little improvements that you’ve worked on from last time. If again it seems you’re not the right fit, don’t let it dishearten you any further. Just like with boys, your (job) soulmate is out there somewhere. It’s just a matter of the right timing. And if you don’t believe in soulmates, well trust me; there are plenty of fish in that career ocean to keep you on your toes!

Edited by Faiza Peeran

Sheetal studied History at the University of Nottingham and was Campus Correspondent during her final year, before graduating in July 2014. She is currently jumping between jobs, whilst still writing for HC in her spare time. She may or may not be some of these things: foodie, book addict, world traveller (crazy dreamer!), lover of cheese, Australian immigrant, self-proclaimed photographer, wannabe dancer, tree hugger, lipstick ruiner, curly-haired and curious. She hopes for world peace and dreams that someday, cake will not make you fat.