How Camp Canada Gave Me a New Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

There are hundreds of different reasons why you should do a camp in Canada, and I could write forever on the subject. But mainly, venturing to Ontario, CA in the summer of 2016 gave me a totally new perspective on life and the way I live it.

The reason I’m only writing on this now, despite a year and a half having passed, is that I still feel the effects of my time at Easter Seals Camp Merrywood to this day, and I know that I will continue to for years to come.

A more general reason that you should jet halfway across the world, whether it be to America or Canada, is for the experience of a new culture. Travelling is a passion of mine, so I wasn’t too phased by being away from home for three months. I know that this may be a reason to put some people off. But, I can vouch for the fact that living in a new place for that amount of time will strengthen parts of your personality you don’t even know you have. For example, I met so many new people and made a hundred introductions and became so adaptable to new ways of thinking and opinions.

Easter Seals Camp Merrywood is a summer camp for children to young adults with physical disabilities. It gives campers a chance to experience camp, and being away from home, in a way that is safe and comfortable for them. From water sports, to crafts and archery, everything is adapted so that campers of all abilities can enjoy the activities.

When I first started the process, through NyQuest, I was reluctant to go to a disability camp because I had no experience in that area. However, the training I received upon arrival in Canada was impeccable. I wasn’t worried, frightened or apprehensive when the campers started to arrive.

The campers gave me a new lease of life. I appreciated the little things that I’d previously taken for granted; eating or showering by myself for example. But they never let these restrictions set them back. Every single one of them lived everyday like it was the best day of their lives, despite any pain or discomfort they were enduring. So as well as meeting so many different people from different cultures that I’d grown throughout this process with and am convinced I have friends for life in, I came away from Merrywood with a new love for this life that I’d been given.

I also got to travel parts of Canada that I’d never have thought to explore had they not been on my doorstep (broadly speaking, Canada is GINORMOUS). I spent two weeks after camp travelling before coming home, and this was the perfect time with no stress to chill and enjoy the beauty that the country had to offer.

If you’re in two minds as to whether to spend your summer in one of the Americas, I really do encourage you to do it. Put yourself out there, live new experiences and meet new people.I promise you, you won’t regret it.

Edited By Isabelle Walker

Student at the University of Nottingham studying English and French. Spending a year in France doing sport, sailing and marketing.