A Fresh Take on the Obligatory New Years Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

In 2009 I resolved to give up chocolate, cake and sweets for a whole year. To everyone’s disbelief I did it. Not only that, but I continued to abstain from chocolate until the end of 2012!  To my continued disappointment, my chocolate ban failed one November day when I found myself alone, boyfriend-less and being offered a packed of minstrels for my sorrows. I have no idea how I managed to complete my 2009 resolution, I put it down to teenage motivation – most of which disappears within a week of arriving at University but I remain proud of my self-control. Of course we’ve all done it – promised to steer clear of chocolate, to reduce our fat and to take up a sport, or buy a gym membership. But as the newspapers frequently tell us, our fitness resolutions are bound to fail.

I have come up with a New Years Resolution plan which doesn’t involve depriving your body but instead, giving it more of something healthy.

A few examples would be: designate at least 2 fish days a week; make sure that each time you go to the library you have 2 pieces of fruit in your bag; set aside 3 days of the week where you make sure that you get your five portions of fruit and veg. The theory is, that if you are giving yourself healthy options, you will be less tempted by the unhealthy. By always carrying fruit with you, the temptation of the vending machine chocolate bar may not be as great; by making sure you eat your five a day you’ll end the day knowing that you have fed your body well and this may be motivation to continue the trend.

Self-deprivation can result in unhealthy behavior so instead lets focus on feeding our bodies with the healthy stuff and allowing this to gradually change our attitudes towards food and wholesome eating. The hashtag ‘clean eating’ or ‘clean living’ has been floating around in 2013 a lot. As a way of life this seems like a great motto to go by. Of course a lot of the time it’s unrealistic, but if the idea is there, then we can work towards it.

Edited by Faiza Peeran

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!