First Year Problems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

So, you have no money, no time and no energy… not exactly how you expected University life to be is it?

After the first few weeks of University, one of the most daunting things us students have to do is check our bank balances. We thought we had £200 in there but we actually have £12 and the money your parents sent you to buy books with…well. It’s not looking good.

A classic student day would be dragging yourself out of bed (sometimes still slightly drunk) to a 9am lecture on the opposite side of campus and spending more time focussing on staying awake than actually listening to the lecturer. You promise yourself whilst you’re in there that when you get back to halls you’re going straight to your desk and getting all of your work done. Definitely. 100%… Probably not.

So you put it off until after dinner and make an oath to God himself that you WILL get your seminar work and reading done. Everything’s going fine; cup of tea on the desk, laptop open, 5 pages into the reading and then you hear the dreaded words. The 4 words that you really don’t want to hear right at that moment because the temptation is just simply too much – “you coming out tonight?” 

Do we all reply, “No sorry, I have prep work to do”? No. No we do not.  We skim read the last few pages; convince ourselves (with the help of our friends) that we’ve done enough to get through the seminar tomorrow. Going to Crisis tonight is a perfect idea. Genius, in fact.

We promise it’s the only time we’ll go out this week, we have too much work and no money – the opposite of a perfect world- but of course we break that promise. It is a vicious cycle known as ‘Student life.’

But how can we find a balance? How can we say no, when it’s just so easy to say yes?

The trick is to do your work in those odd hours between lectures. The ones where you get back to halls and think ‘oh I only have 50 minutes, I’ll just watch the Walking Dead.’ Stay strong and read. Get everything read in the day so then when 7pm comes, you are completely ready to play. Try and go out on the weekends rather than the weekdays – we know it will never happen but as long as the intention is there and you’ve tried to resist, you’re doing well. Just remember, it’s the thought that counts.

Honestly, there’s nothing worse than being in a club very drunk and remembering that you’re supposed to give feedback tomorrow on both a novel and film adaptation, only having the epiphany whilst in McDonalds that no, you do not have time to do it at 4 in the morning…

Edited by Georgina Varley

Image sources:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz-tv/hot-tv/374391/EastEnders-spoiler-I…

http://www.reactiongifs.com/i-regret-nothing/

http://car-memes.com/shockd-cat-jpg/

Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.