Fiona Melia – Cake Society President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Firstly, can you tell us a little about Cake Soc?

We are lovers of baking! We bake a lot, we eat a lot; our lives revolve around The Great British Bake Off and baking! It’s something that last year we couldn’t really do in halls, but now we all have houses and kitchens we definitely needed to make the most of it!

How did you first get involved with baking?

Ever since I was little with my mum in our kitchen I’ve baked, I don’t remember not baking! At Christmas we always do mince pies and a Christmas cake and all that kind of thing.  My whole family bake though, my sister does, and grandma and all my cousins, we all bake! So I’ve just grown up with it.

Do you have any exciting events lined up for Cake Soc?

At the moment we’re working to revamp Cake Soc. We’ve starting doing a thing called a café crawl – instead of a bar crawl. We go round to different cafes and just have tea and cake! We’ve also just been asked to make Portland out of gingerbread by Saturday for the SU which will be lots of fun! We do baking sessions and icing workshops and things like that as well.

Sounds great! Do you have a favourite café in Nottingham you recommend we try?

We went to Devine Cakes in Nottingham the other week and it was really good cake! We’re heading to the White Rabbit soon too – that’s on our hit list. Back home where I live though there is a little Italian café which I love beyond anything – it’s amazing!

How are you finding your role as president?

Yeah it’s good, it’s hard and there’s a lot to do. I’ve never had so many emails in my life before and it’s insane! It could be like a full time job. You get phone calls from people you don’t know and they’re like, ‘hello Cake Soc?!’ and you’re like ‘er hi…?’ I reply to all my emails with ‘love Cake Soc!’ and it’s very odd! It’s demanding and some days I wish I had an extra week just to do Cake Soc stuff and then do uni stuff, but it is good and it’s nice being part of a small team. It’s challenging but so good when it turns out well!

We love that you also support different charities! Can you tell us a little more about that?

At the beginning of the year we got bombarded with requests to bake for charities and it was insane, there was like four a week! And then we decided we could just pick one charity, so we decided when we had time and when we were asked to do something we would just do whichever we felt we could best help for. Cake sales are quite a generic charity thing so we do try and do as many as possible but it can be difficult to fit it all in! We’re all quite charity minded though and we do like to help out.

How can we get involved with Cake Soc?

You can find us on Facebook at ‘UoNCakeSoc’ and we’re on Twitter with the same name, or we’re on the SU page – you can join on there. Just ‘like’ us, tweet us, message us or email us!

Finally, could you sum up Cake Soc in three words?

Challenging, the-best-thing-ever, and just really really tasty!

Image Sources:

http://www.devinecakes.net/cupcakes/#lightbox/24/

https://www.facebook.com/uoncakesoc?fref=ts