Fashion Blog: Best Dressed at the Met Ball 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Each year The Costume Institute Gala also known as the Met Ball or Met Gala is an annual ball that celebrates the opening of the fashion exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. Each year some of the most well known celebrities and fashion icons come together on the red carpet in some of the best gowns around. The Met Ball happens every year and has been ever since 1948 and is hosted by Vogue and Anna Wintour oversees its guest list. The event includes an evening cocktail hour and a formal dinner. This year the Met Ball was held on May 6 on a Monday. Each year the event has a theme and this year’s theme was ‘Punk’. Although not all celebrities have stuck exactly to the dress code, there were still some gorgeous gowns flaunting on the red carpet. 

Beyoncé stunned in this Baroque patterned Givenchy dress with long gloves and a studded belt. I love how Beyonce always goes for a dramatic look at the Met Ball and this year was no exception. Her hair and makeup look flawless too. Beyoncé was one of the last to arrive at the Gala due to her tour, The Mrs Carter Show. She travelled from London to be there and flew back to Manchester afterwards to carry on her tour. With all the jetting around the world and touring, Beyoncé definitely deserves a spot on the best-dressed list. 

Model of the year 2012 Cara Delevigne also looked incredible in her low plunging neck spiked Burberry dress. I didn’t expect any less from Cara and she really pulled out all the stops with this red carpet look especially in her studded earrings and side swept hair. 

Blake Lively looked incredible, as always in a black swan inspired Gucci premiere gown covered in black feathers. Blake is always red carpet ready and her sleek pulled back hair really emphasises the detailing on the dress.

Miranda Kerr glowed in a Michael Kors cut out gown and side swept old Hollywood style hair. Miranda manages to look elegant all the time and her classic and simple silver jewellery reflects her beautiful style. The deep red lipstick really brings this outfit together. Unlike last year however, her husband Orlando Bloom was not by her side. 

Emma Watson proved herself as a true fashion icon in this gorgeous cut out Prabal Gurung dress with a thigh high split matched with her scraped back hair. She has clearly moved on from her Harry Potter days and is showing the world that she can dress to impress. 

Some of the other best dressed celebrities of the night included the star of the new Great Gatsby film Carey Mulligan, Taylor Swift, Jessica Biel, Jessica Alba, Rooney Mara, Heidi Klum, Emmy Rossum, Anne Hathaway and Sienna Miller. 

Unfortunately not every celebrity managed to get the Met Ball red carpet right this year. Kim Kardashian turned up with a dapper looking Kanye in an unflattering and gaudy floral print dress with matching shoes. The leg split on the dress was a lovely detail and if Kim had worn another colour or print she still would have looked fabulous as always. It would have been nice to see Kim get it right after being banned from the event in previous years. Madonna shocked the red carpet with her punk look this year wearing no pants, a black wig, stockings and neon shoes. Although she gets points for effort, this look really isn’t suitable for the Met Ball. Sarah Jessica Parker went for a bizarre look with a strange Mohawk and tartan thigh high boots that clashed with her dress. Miley Cyrus showed that you can spoil a good dress with a bad hairstyle. The Marc Jacobs dress would have been a huge success and fitting with the punk theme with its slim silhouette and mesh detailing but the messy, spiky hair just distracts from the dress. Let’s hope the Met Ball theme next year would surface brighter and more stylish gown ideas.

Overall there were some fantastic and glamorous punk looks at the Met Gala this year with a few exceptions from some. I can’t wait to see what the celebrities and fashionistas would wear next year. 

Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus!