Everything You Need to Know About This Year’s Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show is, without a doubt, the biggest show in the fashion calendar year. From the impressive venues to the celebrity guests who fly in to watch, it’s no wonder that the top models from across the world compete for their chance to earn their wings and walk the runway. So what does it take to become an iconic Victoria’s Secret Angel?

With 500 girls submitted for consideration and only around 40 spaces available, the models must be at the top of their game to make the cut. The key qualities the casting directors want to see are girls who are relaxed, have fun, are confident, exude glamour, and of course, are in shape. Not asking too much then! The girls can’t just be a pretty face; people want to know who the models are, what their background is and what they do when they’re not working – personality is key! The brand released YouTube videos showing how much getting booked for the show means to the girls (and how popular the brand/show is), even to the top models who we’d expect to walk it! Izabel Goulart cried throughout her interview with the directors, despite having walked the runway many years before, and fashion’s favourite girl, Gigi Hadid, fell to the floor with emotion upon hearing that she’d booked the show.

Angel favourites who also returned this year include Candice Swanepoel, Behati Prinsloo, Alessandra Ambrosio, Adriana Lima and Martha Hunt, all looking as gorgeous as ever. The lingerie company added new angels to the line up as they do every year, including Gigi and bestie Kendall Jenner, and newly winged angel Sara Sampaio. Each kept us up-to-date on their preparations for the show, instagramming their workouts to show us how they ‘stepped them up’ in preparation. These included ballet, volleyball, swimming, boxing, and Candice hanging upside down outside, doing aerial silk. Whilst they’re obviously working harder than most of us, it’s good to know we don’t just have to spend torturous hours on the treadmill to try and copy their flawless bodies – we can have some fun with it!

The girls also accredit their looks to eating right, learning more about nutrition – heavy on the protein and no gluten. The girls practice their walks in their underwear at home, which we’ll obviously be doing now when we get home at the end of the day. They also have 30-minute oxygen facials, which sound simultaneously terrifying and amazing!

With this year being the 20th Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show, there were a lot of themes that each look fell under. The first was ‘Boho Psychedelic’ which was supposed to echo the late 60s/70s time of carefree rock ‘n’ roll, but the glamorous type that was exhibited by stars with a lot of money to spend on outfits.

The next look’s theme was ‘Exotic Butterflies’, which aimed to show the richness of colours in the outfits and to exaggerate the texture of the feathers. The fact that they have wings was also very important!

The next theme was called ‘Portrait of an Angel’ which is the essence of Victoria’s Secret, featuring lots of tulle and dusty pinks. The aim was to look ‘fragile and feminine.’

The PINK collection was simply called ‘USA,’ and acted as a celebration of all-American girls, including Selena Gomez who sang for this theme. Very patriotic.

Next there was the ‘Ice Angels’ which was a new take on previous years’ ‘Snow Angels’ and ‘Winter Wonderland.’ These looks were used to show luxury skiing and sports-luxe, during which Ellie Goulding performed.

The final look was appropriately named ‘Fireworks’ and showed off spectacular outfits. The wings were supposed to be Catherine wheels – large and vivid, jewel-like colours.

To end the show, Lily Aldridge walked out to The Weeknd wearing this year’s $2 million fantasy bra. Each year a new fantasy bra is created, typically worth millions of dollars, and worn in the show by the ‘best’ angel. It’s a privilege to be chosen to wear it, and has been worn by the likes of Tyra Banks, Gisele Bünchen, and Miranda Kerr. We think Lily looks amazing!

All of the models who walked were clearly over the moon with the show as they took to social media the following day to express their happiness that their dreams had come true! The show airs on 8th December in the states, but will hopefully be available for us to watch in the UK too.

Edited by Lucy Jackman 

Sources:

www.peoplestylewatch.com

www.express.co.uk

www.instagram.com

www.vogue.co.uk