Entertainment Blog: Movies to Watch Out For in 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

From the highs of Django Unchained and Zero Dark Thirty to the lows of Think Like A Man and Piranha 3DD, last year Hollywood introduced us to a whole host of stunners and sinners and at the moment, 2013 looks to be shaping up no differently…

Here’s what to look out for in 2013.

Star Trek, Into Darkness: For the geeks and geekesses who have been waiting patiently for the sequel to J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek, 2013 is your year. When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organisation has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction. As our heroes are propelled into an epic game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left – his crew. And even for the non Trekkies of you out there, Chris Pine and Benedict Cumberbatch make up enough eye candy to make the movie worth it!

Monsters University: While Pixar fans are well accustomed to the inseparable pairing of Mike and Sulley, our monster heroes, Monsters University sheds a new light on the pair’s unconventional relationship, and we soon find out that they were not always best of friends! Monsters University unlocks the door to how Mike and Sulley overcame their differences and became best friends at the University of Fear. Big things are expected of this first Pixar prequel, set to be released on 12th July.

Warm Bodies: With much of the future world’s population undead and brain hungry, R is a young and oddly contemplative zombie. On a feeding encounter with a human gathering party, R meets Julie and feels an urge to protect and save her, and through doing so starts to regain his humanity. As this change spreads throughout the undead population, Julie and R eventually find that they are facing a larger issue as their friendship is challenged. Caught between the paranoid human forces and the ferocious Bonie zombies, who are a mutual threat, R and Julie must find a way to bridge the sides to fight for a better world no one thought possible. With the gorgeous Nicholas Hoult (Skins) playing R, it’s almost impossible not to lose our heart (and brain!) to this rom-com-zom movie.

Oz: The Great and the Powerful: So Hollywood’s been aching to re-make our classic Wizard of Oz movie for years now; and it is no secret that there are a great number of plot-lines floating around in pre-production at this very moment. This one, however, looks to be the first to get off the ground, the cast — and a potentially racy story – look fantastic! James Franco will star as the young Wizard in this Wizard of Oz prequel, telling the story of Oz — a fast-talking jack the lad, who falls head over heels in love with Glinda (our good witch). The two then combine forces to fight the Evil Witches Evanora and Theodora. It has been so far confirmed that Mila Kunis will play Theodora, Rachel Weisz will play Evanora, and Michelle Williams is set to play Glinda. An unrivalled combination of talent and sex appeal; an unmissable movie in our book!

Laura Turner

Nottingham

Maddie studies American Studies at the University of Nottingham and is in her 4th year. She joined the Her Campus team on her year abroad at University of Illinois as a social media intern and now she and Anna are excited to open the University of Nottingham's chapter this September.