Entertainment Blog: 7 Series to Excite You This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Whether you’re celebrating summer in the sun, or working your way through yet another internship in the hopes of conquering the world one day, Her Campus is here to bring you the seven TV series you just cannot miss in the coming months.

Breaking Bad

Back on TV screens on August 11th, we’re not sure if we’re more excited about how the final season of Breaking Bad is shaping up, or more distraught that it’s all finally coming to an end. If you’re a newbie to the series, Breaking Bad is all about a struggling high school chemistry teacher who is diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. He turns to a hidden life of illegality – producing and selling crystal methamphetamine in order to secure his family’s financial future before he dies. Even if you skip the last five seasons, the last season of Breaking Bad is one you would not want to miss.

Hannibal

From the mind of Bryan Fuller, who brought us Pushing Daises, and fan favourite Heroes, a delicious scary treat appears in the guise of our favourite crazy therapist; Hannibal. Arriving in the UK on Sky Living next month, it fills a huge gap in the Lector story line, with Mads Mikkelson taking on the iconic role, joined by Hugh Dancy and Lawrence Fishburne. You will be left wanting more in this stylish edge-of-your-seat thriller. 

True Blood

Sookie, Bill, Eric and the ever crazy Bon Temps gang are back and trying to play nice with the humans after King Russell murdered one last season on live television. Back on the TV on the 26th of June, you can’t deny that everyone needs a little bit of True Blood in their lives.

Dexter

After eight seasons and a large amount of blood-splattering, Michael C Hall’s Dexter concludes this summer. The final series for the cold-blooded killer arrives for US TV fans on Showtime in June, following a few months later in the UK. Fans finally get to see if Dexter has managed to turn his good-cop sister bad!

Skins

Making us feel very old and very sad in equal measure, Skins bows out this summer with three final specials – ‘Skins Rise’, ‘Skins Fire’ and ‘Skins Pure’
In July, Cook (Jack O’Connell), Effy (Kaya Scodelario), Naomi (Lily Loveless), Emily (Kathryn Prescott) and Cassie (Hannah Murray) will all return for the special episodes and we’re fairly certain there’ll be a couple of extra surprises in store as we finally bid farewell to Bristol’s biggest party animals.

Franklin & Bash

One’s name is Franklin and one’s name is Bash and they’re here to turn your stuffy, suit n’ tie law firm into a non-stop party of irreverent antics and shameful flirting. If you haven’t seen it before, you need to stop right now and set aside a day to catch up on the antics of Mark-Paul Gosselaar and Breckin Meyer as they take Stanton Infeld’s elite law firm by storm.

Wilfred

Back on TV June 23, Wilfred is definitely the most “guy in a dog suit who’s actually a real dog”-y. Based on an Australian series, and featuring original series star/creator Jason Gann, Wilfred is the story of a suicidal man (Elijah Wood) whose life gets turned around by his hot neighbour’s dog, who he sees as a crude, smoking Aussie man in a costume (played by Gann). Darkly funny at times, and incredibly hilarious at others, Wilfred is not to be missed.

Laura Turner

Nottingham

Maddie studies American Studies at the University of Nottingham and is in her 4th year. She joined the Her Campus team on her year abroad at University of Illinois as a social media intern and now she and Anna are excited to open the University of Nottingham's chapter this September.