Dry January: The Pros and Cons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

From Stoptober to Movember, the trend for dedicating specific months to specific causes is something we’re all familiar with. Whether it’s stopping smoking or raising money for charity, there’s a full calendar of such events. Dry January is the campaign that kick-starts each year, and for those of you that haven’t heard of it, the aim for those participating is to give up booze for a month. There’s no denying it; January is a bleak month. Christmas has rinsed your bank account, you’ve probably put on at least half a stone and now the prospect of returning to your freezing student house in an attempt to battle your looming deadlines is your reality. Is Dry January the answer? Lose those Christmas pounds, save yourself some money (maybe raise some for charity too) and be hangover free to smash your revision? Her Campus weighs up the pros and cons, and leaves you to decide…  

Pro #1    

Save £££

Even though you’re unlikely to be drinking much during the exam season anyway, once you’ve finished, the temptation to go on a bender and spend all your money on jaeger bombs in Bluebell is overwhelming. Sadly, waking up on your first day of freedom with a splitting headache and an empty purse is not going to be pleasant and staying teetotal until the end of the month will save you some pennies- if you normally spend £20 on a night out, saving that money instead might even be enough to buy you something from Topshop-if that isn’t motivation, what is?

Pro #2

Save your liver

You’ve probably been binge drinking all year anyway so may not see the point in giving up alcohol for only one month, but the health benefits of abstaining even for 31 days are evident, including better sleep, less headaches and a general feeling of freshness, which is just what you need when you’re trying to revise. Also, as the Christmas period is notoriously bad for consuming everything in excess, giving your liver a break before the next semester and the inevitable drinking is definitely a wise idea. 

Pro #3

Raise money for charity

Dry January is actually a campaign run by Alcohol Concern, a national charity that aims to reduce the harmful effects of alcohol across the UK. By signing up on their website you can get your family and friends to sponsor you. Not only does the money go to a fab cause but also they’ll probably relish watching you struggle to stick to your resolution. Alternatively you can always set up your own ‘Just Giving’ account and get people to sponsor you for a charity of your choice. Helping yourself and others!

Alternatively, for those of you who don’t think you can make it through all those sessions in Hallward without an evening drink (or two) here is the list of cons to make you feel less guilty for not caring about your health or donating to charity…

Con #1

Post exam celebrations

Despite the advice in pro #1 against splurging all your money on cheap alcohol, if you’ve been slogging away at coursework and revision, it’s very unlikely that you’re not going to want to have a drink. Especially when you’ve finished and can get drunk. And not feel bad. When everyone else starts going out the FOMO is going to hit and no matter how much you kid yourself, going to Crisis sober is not fun.

Con #2

Health benefits might not be all that they seem

According to alcohol expert Dr. Poikolainen, drinking a bottle of wine a day may be better for your health than if you don’t drink at all… Do we need to say any more? (Actually, it might be better for you to take this one with a pinch of salt, but apart from that, nuff said).

Con #3

You won’t know your limits

If you manage to last until the 1st of February, we salute you. The only problem with this is that after a month of not drinking, your body will have become accustomed to having less alcohol in your system, so when you start to drink again the alcohol will hit you much more quickly. Although this initially this might seem like a cheap way to get drunk, when you’re six double vodkas in and the alcohol eventually hits you, you’ll be too hammered to realise that this was a terrible, terrible idea.

So there you have it, the pros and cons of Dry January. If not this year, maybe the next?

Edited by Nicole Jones

Sources

https://registration.dryjanuary.org.uk

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/a-bottle-of-wine-a-day-is-not-bad-for-you-and-abstaining-is-worse-than-drinking-scientist-claims-9271010.html

http://garudaseven.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/alcoholic-beverages-girl-with-…

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/make-a-change/how-to-cut-down/take-a-break-from-alcohol/

Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.