Dos and Don’ts of Freshers’ Fair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Freshers’ Fair can be crazy, but it’s definitely something that you have to go to in your first week at Notts (and every other year!). So, head on over to the sports centre and follow these tips to get the most out of going…

DO: Allow lots of time to look around everything. You’ll be surprised how long you can spend there (and by the length of the queue to join societies and clubs! TIP: if you pick up leaflets to the ones you are thinking about joining, you can join them on the SU website when you get home).

DON’T: Wear too many layers! The tent can get packed out with people and you don’t want to be carrying around bulky coats because they were too hot to wear. You need your hands free for the freebies!

DO: Take some water and food. While you’ll get a free slice of Dominos, it’s not enough to keep you going and it’s nice to sit outside on the grass and have a picnic when it gets a bit much.

DON’T: Join too many societies. I know it’s easy to get swept up in the madness of Freshers Fair and have good intentions to do lots, but stop for a minute and think about whether or not you actually want to be a member. It’ll save you a lot of money and you won’t be wondering at the end of the year why you joined the Belly Dancing society…

DO: Make the most of it! It only happens once a year, so collect flyers from ANYTHING that interests you – you never know what could happen and you’re guaranteed to find a society that you love!

DO: Collect the freebies. Pens always come in handy, and any food will be well-appreciated as a student.

Have fun!

Emma Sims

Nottingham

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!