This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

‘Makeup is a way for a woman to look and feel like herself, only prettier and more confident.’ – Bobbi Brown

I like this quote. I think most women would admit that wearing makeup makes them feel more confident. Queen Bobbi Brown (just say her name out loud – it sounds like royalty) emphasises that we should feel pretty both with and without makeup. This is the tricky part – it is much easier said than done.

I have unfortunately experienced a brief phase of very bad skin, despite my best friend and family’s assurance that it really wasn’t as bad as I thought. Makeup, at this point in my life, was the only thing that made me feel confident– I struggled leaving the house at times. But I was able to cover up what I was embarrassed about and that made me feel better. I still wear makeup nearly every day (not permitted for messy bun/onesie days) and I love putting on my favourite concealer and MAC foundation in the morning. I’m a firm believer in do what you love – and a lot of us love makeup. Fact.

But some girls don’t wear makeup. Also fact.

My best friend lives with two girls that just aren’t interested in putting on slap – except the odd bit of mascara on a night out. That’s it. No foundation, no winged eyeliner, no contouring. Zilch. And that is absolutely fine – but I was shocked when my best friend told me that they criticised her for wearing it ‘too much’ and asked who she was ‘trying to impress’. I’m all for girls not wearing makeup, but don’t make those of us who do feel bad. We are not trying to impress anyone. We like doing it because it makes us feel prettier/sexier/happier. Also who else has seen the new Too Faced Chocolate Bar palettes? Wow. And I’m sure a lot of you reading this own (or have heard of at least) Urban Decay’s ‘Naked’ palettes. WHY WOULD YOU NOT WANT ONE OF THOSE IN YOUR LIFE? LOOK AT THEM. The beauty industry is one of the largest in the world. With the likes of Zoe Sugg (a.k.a Zoella) and Tanya Burr, both popular Youtubers, being sent hundreds of products each week to promote, sales figures for them must have sky rocketed over the last few years. It was also no surprise that when Kylie Jenner revealed she used Mac ‘Velvet Teddy’, it sold out everywhere. And I mean everywhere – trust me I searched. Speaking of the Kardashians, I guarantee that most girls had never even attempted contouring until they saw Kim become an expert. Makeup seems to have become engrained in celebrity culture. So yes, we wear makeup to feel prettier and confident – but some us might want a makeup product because (insert celebrity) has it. I think there is nothing more fun about makeup shopping than buying a product you genuinely fall in love with – rather than the fact that a celebrity has it. There is a danger of becoming obsessed. There is also danger in ‘natural’ photo-shoots – where models are made to look bare-skinned when actually they aren’t. This can create self confidence issues because we think that we look like s**t without makeup whilst some girls look amazing without it. NOBODY looks their best first thing in the morning.

Every girl is beautiful without makeup. I know that sounds cliché – but it really is true. I have realised this as I have got older. We have to be very careful with what we surround ourselves with in terms of ‘beauty’ – because half of the time our perception of beauty just isn’t true. There is nothing more attractive than a girl that feels confident enough to go outside with no makeup – I wish I could have felt like that when I was younger. Because really, who cares what people think? But we all do. We are all human.

I’m sure we are all culprits of looking at a girl and thinking she has ‘too much’ makeup on. But what is too much? What’s not enough? Makeup is a personal preference. Do what makes you feel prettier and more confident.

Edited by Sarah Holmes

Image sources

www.makeupwealllove.tumblr.com (image 1)

http://makeupwealllove.tumblr.com

www.lilypebbles.co.uk (image 2)

http://www.lilypebbles.co.uk/2014/04/better-than-naked.html

www.ilashesandsuch.wordpress.com (image 3)

https://ilashesandsuch.wordpress.com/2015/07/19/strobing-for-beginners/

Hey! I'm Holly, UoN English Student, HC Features Writer, and lover of frenchies xoxo
Naomi Upton

Nottingham

Naomi is a third year English student at Nottingham University and Co-Editor in Chief of HC Nottingham. Naomi would love a career in journalism or marketing but for now she spends her time beauty blogging, attempting to master the delicate art of Pinterest, being an all-black-outfit aficionado, wasting time on Buzzfeed, going places, taking pictures and staying groovy.