This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Meet Charlotte, our very own Reviewer and Social Media Intern whose passion for photography led her to start her very own media project whilst studying here in Nottingham. After being behind the camera since the age of 8, Charlotte decided to publicize her photography skills and since then has done numerous shoots for local bands, whilst also getting exclusive interviews with musicians and gaining more confidence to pursue her passion after university.    

What compelled you to start CMR media? It was actually my dad who encouraged me to start up CMR Media. I have been interested in photography since I was young, getting my first polaroid camera around the age of 8 years old. I decided last year to invest in a proper camera and combine my two loves of music and photography and it developed from there really.  

Did you think it would be as successful as it is? Honestly, I started it up as a bit of a hobby so no I didn’t have a lot of faith in myself. But I’ve seen CMR Media grow. I’ve met some wonderful people and experienced some really cool things. I’ve really started believing myself and I’m really proud of what CMR Media is becoming. I’m very personable and lucky to have a lot of people to believe in me.

Did you find it quite nerve-racking doing your first band shoot? Yes, the first band I shot for were Room 94 who I knew well so I wasn’t too nervous about doing it for them. My second band were Mowbeck, who I didn’t really know but they made me feel so at ease and they made me really comfortable. I’ve become so much more confident over time as I have to network with people I don’t know.

Do you think this is something you would pursue after uni? I definitely want to keep it up, whether it is on the same scale or not I’ll have to see where life takes me. It is something that plays a big part in my life and is something I couldn’t imagine as no longer a part of my life. Through my independent project, I’ve done things I would only dream of. I am also thinking of a career in music journalism so it would be great to keep my photography and blog going.

What have been the personal advantages of setting up CMR media? I’ve met some incredibly awesome people and have so many new friends now. Seeing the bands and artists progress is pretty great. I get to combine my two loves and do something that makes me happy. Without CMR Media I don’t think I would have met such amazing people.

Have you got any exciting work coming up? I have yes!! I can’t say too much at the moment but I am doing a shoot for some good friends of mine and I am really looking forward to it. It is technically my first official photo shoot so I am really grateful to them for giving me this opportunity. Hopefully, it will be the first of many.

What’s one of your favourite moments from doing photography so far?  

I would have to say MathSoc ball. There were a group of guys who really made my evening. I have about twenty photos of just the four of them… I think they wanted their own personalised shoot which was interesting haha.

Do you think that setting up CMR media has given you a wider appreciation of the city? Yes definitely. I don’t tend to do the clubbing scene as much as I am more of a gig girl. I have been to loads of different places, I love the Bodega and Rough Trade. They put on some fantastic gigs and the Bodega is sometimes a second home. I recommend people who like gigs to try these places because they’re different from the usual university hotspots of Crisis, Ocean etc.  

What advice would you give to people who would like to start up their own project? I would say go for it. You have nothing to lose. If it doesn’t work out, then you can at least say you tried. I never envisioned CMR Media doing as well as it has but I believed in myself. Whilst it is something that is either really busy or a bit quiet, it is something that over time has progressed. It is cliché but self-belief has a huge part to play because if you don’t believe in your project then it can’t take off, you will never know where it can take you.

Edited by Susan Akyeampong

Jenine Tudtud

Nottingham '17

Jenine is a fourth year American and Canadian Studies student at the University of Nottingham and is hoping to get a career in journalism or publishing. She is currently one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Nottingham! She has just returned from The College of New Jersey after spending the past year studying abroad.