Catered vs Self-Catered?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Many of the UK’s top universities offer both self-catered and catered halls of residence, both equally a great way to kickstart university life, socialise and smoothen the transition to independence. Huge amounts of students opt for the self-catered option; you can make what you fancy (if you’re any good at cooking), when, and how you like. However, catered halls are becoming increasingly popular for those whose domestic skills aren’t up to living standards or perhaps don’t have the time to cater for themselves.

As a first year undergraduate in self-catered halls, I have witnessed first-hand the benefits of being able to cook what I want, when I want! Budgeting food money, weekly shopping trips and cramped kitchen facilities are the only real disruptions that I have faced to my study-life balance. Being able to make decisions (sometimes not the correct ones) of what and when you eat is a life skill which I have already developed in my 2 months of living here. The variety of food available when self-catered is, of course, endless, but this vast freedom of choice may be one of the reasons why so many self-catered students end up in poor health after their first year. Too often I find myself shovelling down cheap, processed foods that I wouldn’t usually touch, or I will cook an unhealthy dinners simply due to convenience and pure laziness. 

Catering for yourself can face you with challenges, nevertheless bringing opportunities to expand your life skills! The independence gained by buying you own food and budgeting your money are skills that can only be learnt by practice. Schools don’t teach pupils how to budget money or explain how much tax is, both of which are essential life skills that will help you in years to come.

Emily Baines – BGP Self-Catered Halls

“I feel that being self-catered gives us independence and complete control over what we eat and when we eat it. Our food is always exactly how we like it. I am a fussy eater and I would definitely struggle if I was faced with a restricted variation of food!”

Catered accommodation takes away your freedom to eat exactly when you want, but offers you instead the opportunity to maintain a balanced diet and a healthy weight. Meals are at set times, and a balance of food groups, including nutritious fresh fruit and veg, is generally on offer.

If the health benefits aren’t enough to entice you, perhaps the financial aspect will. The difference between catered and self-catered at two major UK universities – Newcastle and Edinburgh – is £20 and £30 a week respectively. Getting your shopping in for less than £30 is doable, but getting it in with the variety and quality offered by catered meals is not.

Claire Anderson – Ancaster Catered Halls

“Lunch can be bought anywhere on campus at your leisure and you build up of snacks over time so us catered students can actually eat food whenever we want! I have sustained a constant feeling of fullness. Although this stops me from snacking, I often feel like I’m eating for the sake of it resulting in me feeling sick most the time- I have to eat what I paid for or otherwise it’s a waste. But it definitely helps financially as I have become very reluctant to get food from anywhere else unless it’s a cheeky kebab on a night out!”

Sociability is evident in both catered and self-catered halls. A shared space to cook – bonding over shared cooking with flatmates can be a lot of fun. You will learn that pots do not simply wash themselves and that it’s your own duty to clean up after yourself and do the washing drying and putting away!

So whatever you have chosen or are thinking about choosing as your accommodation, take into account these considerations. Personally, I feel like irregularity of meal times, an unhealthy lifestyle and time costs are all problems which can be easily overcome with practice and the formation of good habits. The skills gained in self-catered halls are essential for later life and for at least the next two years in university outside of halls.

Edited by Amelia Bauer

Source

http://www.theguardian.com/education/mortarboard/2012/aug/13/students-consider-catered-meals

Image Source

http://www.browzer.co.uk/files/cache/ec857209bde910c456d6b19b007bb831_f1501.jpg

First year International Media and Communications student at the University of Nottingham and Features writer for Her Campus! 
Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.