Can Your Contraceptive Pill Protect You From Cancer?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The contraceptive pill protects women from some cancers for as long as 30 years, according to new research.  The Oral Contraceptive Study, led by scientists at The University of Aberdeen, concluded that women who have used the pill are less likely to develop bowel cancer, endometrial cancer or ovarian cancer than women who have never taken it. Researchers also found no evidence of new cancer risks appearing later in life among women who had used oral contraceptives.

The study, which looked at 46,000 women for up to 44 years, was initiated to investigate the long-term health effects of taking the contraceptive pill. Dr Lisa Iversen, who spearheaded the research, told the Independent: “specifically, pill users don’t have an overall increased risk of cancer over their lifetime and…the protective effects of some specific cancers last for at least 30 years.”

While the combined pill has been linked to a host of dangerous side effects, particularly blood clots, the NHS maintains that the UK media have over-hyped the potential risk. It seems like every day another nightmare-inducing article surfaces, branded with another variation of the same fear-mongering headlines:

“Deadly Risk of Pill Used by 1m Women”

“6 Birth Control Horror Stories You Should Know”

“Why People Are Dying from the Pill”

“Student Develops Huge Tumour After Taking the Pill for 12 years’”

“Contraceptive Pill Blood Clots: Can You Die from Taking the Pill?”

However, as with all medications, the combined contraceptive pill does carry an element of risk, in most cases the more severe side effects associated with the pill affect a very small minority of women. Dr Sarah Branch, Deputy Director of the MHRA’s Vigilance and Risk Management of Medicines Division, said:

“Women should continue to take their contraceptive pill. These are very safe, highly effective medicines for preventing unintended pregnancy and the benefits associated with their use far outweigh the risk of blood clots in veins or arteries.”

Nevertheless, the suitability of the different types of contraceptive pill can vary between individuals, and it should be noted that for certain women, personal factors and family medical history might contraindicate the pill. The Oral Contraceptive Study only reinforces the importance of seeking out clear and up-to-date information regarding both the dangers and benefits of taking oral contraception.

Edited by: Tia Ralhan

Sources: 

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/02February/Pages/Media-hype-blood-clot-risk-of-birth-control-pills.aspx

http://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378(17)30179-5/abstract

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/cancer-contraceptive-pill-30-years-protect-university-of-aberdeen-research-a7642656.html

I'm a senior at the University of Kentucky working towards a degree in Media Arts and Studies. Some notable accomplishments of mine: once mailed a stranger a bag of Fruity Pebbles, met Jack White, slayed Bohemian Rhapsody at karaoke night, and once came one number away from winning $50 in a game of BINGO. I also really like Beyoncé because I'm human.
Immy Hibberd

Nottingham