This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Late last year, Camila Cabello topped the charts with her most notable single to date, Havana. As one of her first solo ventures outside of the girl group Fifth Harmony, Cabello’s debut album is far more complex than you may initially think for an ex-member of the girl band. Its complexity is shown in many ways: lyrically, vocally, sonically and thematically. Despite Cabello’s roots in pop music, the album’s alternative nature switches between R&B and hip-hop, showing just how versatile and genre-defying Cabello truly is.

Cabello’s songwriting inspiration Ed Sheeran is echoed in the tracks All These Years and Consequences, conveying the more complex side of love and the complications that come along with it. On the flip side, chart toppers such as Havana and Never Be The Same show a more positive and empowering vibe that is a far cry from the vulnerability of the aforementioned songs.

Inside Out in particular shows articulate lyrics mixed with an upbeat, catchy and appropriate tune that perfectly reflects Cabello’s innermost thoughts. Consequences, on the other hand, has both moving lyrics and music, showing that Cabello has the capacity to be as emotional as she is up for a good time. Cabello never faults in showcasing her emotional range, and the variety of the album itself supports this.

Again, there are some more female-empowering songs such as She Loves Control, in which Cabello celebrates women and their rights. This exploration of womanhood perfectly conflicts with the insecurity that is depicted in Cabello’s Real Friends, which shows just how hard it can be to find meaningful friendships. All of these issues are handled with surprising maturity and honesty from the young artist. She proves to be unafraid to show her vulnerability, yet also speaks about messages of empowerment with equal conviction.

Overall, Camila’s debut shows an impressive range, both vocally and thematically. It accurately represents the complex feelings that teenagers and adults can both relate to without being a victim of stereotypes.

Edited by Tia Ralhan

Image Sources

1

2

3

Hey, I'm Chloe Jade Clarke. I studied at the University of Nottingham for a degree in English and Philosophy from 2016-2019. During my time here I started out in journalism as a reviewer for Her Campus Nottingham before being promoted to Campus Correspondent (editor-in-chief) in my third year. After graduation, I will be training for my News Journalism MA at Cardiff University. Here are a selection of articles that I've written over the past couple of years; I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed writing them!
Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!