Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Nottingham Blog

The Dos and Don’ts of Kicking Off Your Year Abroad in the South of France

By Fran McKay
October 21, 2014 - 1:00am

So, I’m about to spend my 3rd weekend in the beautiful city of Valence. My kids are absolute stars, the food is as good as they say it is (someone take one for the team and be ready to roll me home come April) and the scenery is beaut. But what have I actually learnt during my short time across the channel? I’ve put together a few Dos and Don’ts that I wish I’d been made more aware of before the big move! (Disclaimer: some advice should be taken more seriously than others).   1.       Do buy yourself a bottle opener (and a good one at that). READ MORE

Making the Transition from the Classroom to Your Year Abroad

By Vivienne Chung
October 21, 2014 - 1:00am

So, you’ve been a language student for the past two years, taken a relaxed attitude towards your studies. Then the next thing you know, your uni is sending you abroad to put your knowledge to the test. “You’ll be fluent by the time you come back” is all you ever hear, but in reality there will only be a handful of phrases you get down to a T. “I don’t understand” and “do you speak English” being two of them. Six moths pass and the only language you feel you’ve truly mastered is your own unique made up sign language. I’m not saying the above will happen to you, but if you are anxious about the transition between the classroom and your year abroad, here are some lessons I learnt whilst in China: Prepare to Fail...

BOOTCAMP: Should I Stay Or Should I Go…

By Hannah Eastaff
October 21, 2014 - 1:00am

Bootcamp, a word that fills many with fear. An hour of hard core training enforced by ultra-fit personal trainers. Intimidating? Yes. Hard work? Yes. Effective? YES. I went along to see for myself what the hype is all about… The Basics: •       Essentially bootcamp is a group physical training class run by ex-military and personal trainers. Sessions consist of an hour of training in a variety of intensity levels to build both strength and fitness. READ MORE

Review: Dracula Untold

By Scarlett White
October 20, 2014 - 1:00am

** 2/5 STARS  Painfully. Average. These are the two words that sum up my experience of Dracula Untold, this year’s obligatory vampire flick depicting the story of Vlad the Impaler, a.k.a the original Dracula. READ MORE

Review: Lux Lisbon at Bodega

By Charlotte Clare
October 19, 2014 - 1:00am

4 STARS **** I love watching a band that clearly love what they do, and Lux Lisbon definitely fall into that category. Plus they were formed at our very University of Nottingham, so that gives them points immediately (obviously). READ MORE

The Best of the Brits: British Music You Need To Get In To

By Charlotte Clare
October 19, 2014 - 1:00am

I’m not talking about One Direction, or any other bands or singers to come out of X Factor and ‘break America’. No, I’m talking about home-grown talent who are the real reasons you should be proud to be British in 2014. READ MORE

Book Review and Giveaway: Lullabies by Lang Leav

By Nicole Jones
October 18, 2014 - 1:00am

As winter rolls in (will it ever stop raining?) you might be feeling in need of a little magic in your life. Sadly, it’s too early to crack out the Christmas jumpers and fairy lights, but if you’re in the mood for enchantment, Her Campus has the answer.  Australian multidisciplinary artist Lang Leav has recently published her second book of poetry - the aptly titled Lullabies. Leav’s first poetic offering was 2013’s Love & Misadventure, which set the bar high by becoming an Amazon bestseller. The pressure’s on for her latest anthology, and fortunately, she doesn’t disappoint. READ MORE

Stay Organised: Free Apps For Uni Students!

By Daniela Andrade
October 18, 2014 - 1:00am

Now that I’m in the final year of my academic studies, I feel I should pass on the knowledge I have gathered throughout the last two years I have been in university. Our generation has incorporated gadgets into our daily lives and some of us are even dependent on them (guilty!). What is also an amazing achievement is how much easier they make our lives. Imagine that when our parents went to school there were no smartphones to record the lectures and type your notes, nor Whatsapp to check the answers to a quiz with your classmates. READ MORE

An Aussie in Notts: From Melbournian to Nottinghamite

By Zoe Peters
October 17, 2014 - 1:00am

I know that resorting to talking about the weather in a conversation is probably one of the lowest forms of small talk, not to mention the most laborious. But this week’s blog entry of mine just has to begin with the current weather in Nottingham. It is coming on my month-aversary here in Notts and finally the infamous English weather has hit. READ MORE

What's In My Make-Up Bag? A Tour of Some Everyday Essentials

By Jess Turton
October 17, 2014 - 1:00am

First, a bit of a disclaimer... I don't wear all of these products on a daily basis. These are just my favourite day-to-day products that I would use to create a look that I might go shopping in, or for a meal with friends. To be perfectly honest, for lectures I'm lucky if I get chance to sweep on a coat of mascara and dab on some concealer before I'm dashing along Derby Road! READ MORE