Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Nottingham Blog

Review: First Do No Harm at NNT

By Mirrie Hashmi
October 1, 2014 - 5:01am

4 STARS **** First Do No Harm is a poignant play inspired by true events months before the start of the First World War. Harold and Maud Leggett, a London doctor and his wife come to The Fens on the heels of Lloyd George’s reforms and their lives are forever turned upside down. With only 4 actors playing a number of roles, Howard Scott Walker (Dr Ridgeway, the traditional doctor in charge of the local surgery) in particular deserves recognition. The flawlessness with which he slipped between characters, making all of them very distinctive and individually emotive, makes him an exceptional actor. READ MORE

Sequins With Ashish: Spring/Summer 2015 Fashion

By Navreen Mangat
October 1, 2014 - 4:48am

As a self-confessed Morticia Addams worshipper, it’s fair to say I generally steer away from any piece of clothing that is one shade too far away from black for comfort, or covered in sparkly sequins. I’m more of a block colour and big accessories kind of girl. However, after religiously flicking through reports and photos of one designer in particular from London Fashion Week this year I’m seriously re-assessing my fashion preferences. READ MORE

Starting Afresh: What It's Like Returning to Nottingham After Studying Abroad

By Sarah Newman
October 1, 2014 - 4:00am

Last semester I studied abroad at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. As an American might say, I had an ‘awesome’ time! Now I’m back in Nottingham for the first time in 9 months and whilst I have spent a year and a half of my degree here, in some ways it’s almost like I’m a fresher all over again. Below I’ll list the concerns I had about coming back to Nottingham and how I’m finding it so far. Getting Lost On Campus READ MORE

The Freshers Goodbye List

By Laura Bradnick
October 1, 2014 - 4:00am

I can’t believe that my time as a Fresher is pretty much over. It was of course, everything I was told it would be. However, moving to University happened in such a blur of nerves and excitement that only now do I have time to reflect. All I know for certain is that it is expensive and busy…and expensive. Despite desperately trying to plan how I would introduce myself to people (in an outfit Victoria Beckham herself would be proud of) there are a few things that I will always remember about beginning my journey as a fresher. READ MORE

Review: Keston Cobblers Club at Bodega

By Charlotte Clare
September 30, 2014 - 7:29am

5 STARS ***** I’m not gonna lie to you, I’d only really ever listened to Keston Cobblers Club through the wall separating mine and my housemate’s bedrooms last year before this gig, and I really knew little about them. After last night, I can now safely say that they are one of the best live bands I have seen, and certainly the most fun. READ MORE

10 Ways To Buy Good Karma For Your Uni Room

By Danielle Greenspan
September 30, 2014 - 4:00am

We all love a reason to go shopping and moving into your uni room is a very good one. But wait! Don’t just purchase everything from that massive Tesco in Beeston. If you put a little thought into what you buy, you can support good causes, save money and help make the world a better place just through your shopping! Instant good karma! Here are 10 easy ideas to get you started: 1)      Stock up on recycled printer paper and notepaper   READ MORE

Freshers With Hindsight: Questionable Chants, Drunken Injuries and Clean Knickers

By Samantha Carey
September 30, 2014 - 4:00am

Going in to my third and final year at uni, it was difficult to control that twinge of jealousy seeing Freshers arriving, entire unnecessary reading list in one suitcase, jumbo box of condoms in another. Not for them worries about dissertations, or thoughts of “what the hell am I doing once I’ve scraped that 2.1?” And probably the most difficult thing about coming to the end of your time at uni is that, pardon the cliché, but it really does feel like just yesterday that you stumbled through the hallowed doors of the Big O for the first time. READ MORE

10 Gigs in Notts You Should Check Out This Term

By Charlotte Clare
September 29, 2014 - 4:00am

Nottingham is home to a whole array of fabulous music venues that hold gigs of all genres and styles, ranging from huge arena bands to small local artists, and it would be criminal to live so close and not experience any of them! Here’s my pick of the best artists coming to town this term, but if nothing takes your fancy I encourage you to check out the gig guides yourself, I’m sure you’ll find something up your street!   Keston Cobblers Club – Monday 29th September – The Bodega READ MORE

Top 'Slay-tionery' Picks for Back to School

By Naomi Upton
September 28, 2014 - 4:00am

Okay, so few understand the power a new pack of post-its gives you. But maybe you want to change your ways, get organised and make your desk a super cute shrine of to-do lists? Hey there. The aim is to look as stationery savvy as Cher with her fluffy pink pen. READ MORE

Fashion Blog: Caped Crusaders

By Kimberley Bond
September 26, 2014 - 4:00am

Capes are no longer attire exclusively adorned by superheroes; they are dramatically sweeping their way onto the high street as a brave and cosy alternative to a jumper and jacket combo. Capes this season have been teamed with some of the most wearable prints, so for all of you who are considering an investment with what is looking like this winter’s fashion staple, here are some of our favourites from the high-street and online. READ MORE