Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Nottingham Blog

Review: The Infant at New Theatre

By Mirrie Hashmi
October 30, 2014 - 7:59am

3 STARS *** Truth be told, I had no idea what to expect when going into see this play. I came out just as I’d entered, if not more confused. This gripping play danced on the edge of madness with acting, strong imagery and a hidden message. This production boasts some deeply impressive performances. Jess Lundholm and Emma Kendall as the uncanny duo Samedi and Castogan, respectively, had everyone’s attention from the outset, especially the unhinged Castogan, who entranced and unsettled me at the same time. READ MORE

Halloween Isn't Just For Kids...And Neither is Party Food!

By Harleen Woodwal
October 30, 2014 - 2:00am

It's that time of year again when the air is crisp, the leaves are golden and the 31st of the month is the only REAL night of the year where it is acceptable for the twenty-something year olds of Nottingham University to wear fancy dress! I can only be talking about Halloween! Whether you're having a cosy movie night with your housemates, hosting pre-drinks for a Halloween themed night out, or terrifying the residents of Lenton by trick or treating, you're bound to get hungry and so I have come up with a few cheap and easy Halloween themed recipes!   READ MORE

Fall Essentials For Your Wardrobe

By Daniela Andrade
October 30, 2014 - 2:00am

In the UK it’s hard to make a complete change in your wardrobe considering there is barely any summer and it might or might not rain for the rest of the year. However, there are a few items that we can trust for Fall, Winter and even Spring. Below is a very concise gathering of items for all the seasons of the year. A great tip is to layer up or down to adjust each outfit- you won’t always have the opportunity to revamp your wardrobe, so take advantage of what you own!   READ MORE

Review: Rhodes at Bodega

By Rosie Finnegan
October 29, 2014 - 8:35am

5 STARS ***** A hypnotic expression of emotion: Rhodes’ performance demonstrated the ability to convey depth through simplicity, silencing, transfixing and absorbing the audience. David Rhodes is 25 years of age, from Hertfordshire, and didn’t start singing until 18 months ago as he admits he “was always far too scared”. He has now released three EPs: ‘Raise Your Love’, ‘Morning’ and ‘Home’, and has supported Sam Smith, London Grammar, Laura Marling, Nick Mulvey and Rufus Wainwright. He may be scared but he certainly knows how to channel this fear into achieving success as, from that list, I would say things are going pretty well… READ MORE

How to Become a Sophisticated Procrastinator: 5 Reasons Why You Should Go to the Theatre as a Student

By Sarah Newman
October 29, 2014 - 2:00am

There are a lot of past-times which are stereotypically associated with students: clubbing, watching daytime TV, napping. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy a good nap, a TV binge or a dip in the Ocean as much as the next person, but it’s good to get out of the typical student routine and break those stereotypes that the media has of students and that we buy into ourselves too. One way I like to do this is by going to the theatre. Here are 5 reasons why you should become a theatre-going student, or as I like to think of it, a sophisticated procrastinator. 1.       Broadening your cultural horizons READ MORE

10 Things British Students Miss While Studying in America

By Sophie Dunne
October 29, 2014 - 2:00am

After studying abroad in America for two months now I feel settled and used to the American customs and way of life. However, as much as I love it here, there are so many things from England that I miss. Here are my 10 things that I miss about England while studying in America.        1.            The British Pound READ MORE

Slips and Trips: Where Are You Going to Embarrass Yourself on Campus This Week?

By Leona Hinds
October 28, 2014 - 2:00am

Our campus at the University Of Nottingham is beautiful: the lakes, secret gardens and wildlife sometimes make me feel like I'm in a park when I walk out of my lectures. But not all is peaceful and serene as we’ve discovered. There are some things on campus to watch out for and you told us about the mishaps you’ve had...   Engineering hill READ MORE

7 Childhood Disney Villains You Didn't Think Could Be Style Icons

By Navreen Mangat
October 28, 2014 - 2:00am

So it’s that time of year again where you’re wondering what to wear for the Crisis all-frighter, or that Hallowe’en house party you’ve been invited to. Well, I’m not going to attempt to suggest fancy dress ideas (because let’s face it, you’ll almost definitely go as a cat) but instead praise those evil, twisted fashion style icons from back the in the day to embody this week on campus. Embrace the Hallowe’en spirit!   1. Maleficent, Sleeping Beauty READ MORE

The Charm of Soundtracks

By Claire Anderson
October 27, 2014 - 2:00am

Soundtracks are often under appreciated. But whether they're from a scene in a film or the intro to a cartoon they are often widely known. In particular, He-Man and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have lived on to be recognized by everyone from all generations. Cheesy tracks such as this always make an appearance when someone gains control of YouTube and are then sung to religiously.   READ MORE

Can Women's Sport Be Considered Sexy?

By Immy Hibberd
October 27, 2014 - 2:00am

Many girls resist and avoid playing sports as many struggle with the worry of being judged and laughed at as a result. The common misconception is that a girl who plays “manly” sports such as hockey, lacrosse, football as well as many more, are considered to be masculine, butch and (most stereotypically) lesbian. I have been playing hockey and cricket since a young age, two of the least common sports associated with girls, and whenever I have revealed this side of my personality to people, however friendly they may be, there are always snide comments. The concept that strong women who play sport are somehow less womanly is completely absurd. READ MORE