Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Nottingham Blog

4 Fun Things To Do Without Alcohol

By Emma Sims
October 24, 2014 - 1:00am

As many of you know, after a heavy Friday night at Ocean the last thing you’ll feel like doing is picking up the vodka again; that is until next week anyway! So here’s our list of fun things to do with your friends or housemates that don’t involve alcohol. Let's go! 1. Cook together. As students, I'm sure we're all guilty of knocking together some pesto pasta and calling it a masterpiece, but more advanced cooking can be super fun when you do it with your friends and can result in yummy food that you just wouldn't cook for one. You could do it Come Dine With Me style and have everybody cook something different for a few nights in a row, or simply go all out and cobble together a three course meal on a Saturday night. 2. Investigate Nottingham....

The Passion vs. Pay Debate

By Sarah Akinterinwa
October 24, 2014 - 1:00am

As much as we’d love it to, university doesn’t last forever. Eventually, students graduate with a shiny new degree that paves the way for a career. However, do graduates choose their careers out of genuine passion, or simply because the salary looks good? Of course, everyone would like a career that pays well and offers satisfaction all at once. But let’s face it; it’s a little difficult to achieve both, but not necessarily impossible. READ MORE

Struggling to Get the Guy? Hussey Can Help!

By Katherine Isle
October 23, 2014 - 1:00am

Dare to go Dark: The Bold Lip

By Pooja Naik
October 22, 2014 - 1:00am

Autumn has arrived and you know what means - it’s time to ditch that summer glow and coral blusher for a smoky eye and a sultry dark lip. Now don’t worry if you’re not a pro at makeup, the bold lip is the perfect way to switch up your makeup routine without taking too much time or effort!   How do I know which shade suits me? It’s easy! Just follow this easy guideline when choosing lipstick shades to match your skin tone.   Fair/Light Skin READ MORE

Hallowe’en your house party without buying ANYTHING!

By Danielle Greenspan
October 22, 2014 - 1:00am

Our environment and our student finances means that splurging lots of cash for a single night of freaky frivolities is not necessarily a possibility for us. So instead of raiding Poundland (with enough ethical issues for its own article) here are a few great little ideas for your decorations using things that you definitely already have! P.S. Don’t forget to recycle everything afterwards!     Monster doors! Ingredients:       Bin bags/tights READ MORE

Making the Transition from the Classroom to Your Year Abroad

By Vivienne Chung
October 21, 2014 - 1:00am

So, you’ve been a language student for the past two years, taken a relaxed attitude towards your studies. Then the next thing you know, your uni is sending you abroad to put your knowledge to the test. “You’ll be fluent by the time you come back” is all you ever hear, but in reality there will only be a handful of phrases you get down to a T. “I don’t understand” and “do you speak English” being two of them. Six moths pass and the only language you feel you’ve truly mastered is your own unique made up sign language. I’m not saying the above will happen to you, but if you are anxious about the transition between the classroom and your year abroad, here are some lessons I learnt whilst in China: Prepare to Fail...

BOOTCAMP: Should I Stay Or Should I Go…

By Hannah Eastaff
October 21, 2014 - 1:00am

Bootcamp, a word that fills many with fear. An hour of hard core training enforced by ultra-fit personal trainers. Intimidating? Yes. Hard work? Yes. Effective? YES. I went along to see for myself what the hype is all about… The Basics: •       Essentially bootcamp is a group physical training class run by ex-military and personal trainers. Sessions consist of an hour of training in a variety of intensity levels to build both strength and fitness. READ MORE

The Dos and Don’ts of Kicking Off Your Year Abroad in the South of France

By Fran McKay
October 21, 2014 - 1:00am

So, I’m about to spend my 3rd weekend in the beautiful city of Valence. My kids are absolute stars, the food is as good as they say it is (someone take one for the team and be ready to roll me home come April) and the scenery is beaut. But what have I actually learnt during my short time across the channel? I’ve put together a few Dos and Don’ts that I wish I’d been made more aware of before the big move! (Disclaimer: some advice should be taken more seriously than others).   1.       Do buy yourself a bottle opener (and a good one at that). READ MORE

Review: Dracula Untold

By Scarlett White
October 20, 2014 - 1:00am

** 2/5 STARS  Painfully. Average. These are the two words that sum up my experience of Dracula Untold, this year’s obligatory vampire flick depicting the story of Vlad the Impaler, a.k.a the original Dracula. READ MORE

Review: Lux Lisbon at Bodega

By Charlotte Clare
October 19, 2014 - 1:00am

4 STARS **** I love watching a band that clearly love what they do, and Lux Lisbon definitely fall into that category. Plus they were formed at our very University of Nottingham, so that gives them points immediately (obviously). READ MORE