Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Nottingham Blog

Nottingham Uni Timetable App

By Imogen Vance
September 15, 2014 - 4:13pm

Tom Howard's University of Nottingham Timetable app claims to be "easier than a Trent degree' and he's not wrong! All you have to do is type in your university username and the app will instantly find all the possible modules for your course and year. You can hide any modules you're not actually taking so you don't to scroll through useless information. There's also the option to add modules like an extra language module or a psychology subsid (for example!). The best thing is it's pretty and colour coded! The app allows you to swipe between each day and is set up in a calander format. It's extremely user friendly and will work for anyone who owns an iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The app is optimised for iPhone 5 and requires iOS 7.0 or later.  ...

The Actually Useful Freshers' Checklist

By Samantha Carey
September 15, 2014 - 4:00am

When I was preparing for my first year at Uni, I scoured the internet for every checklist available. I was not going to be the girl who forgot her duvet (I saved that mistake for the start of my second year). Problem was, most of these checklists said the same thing and stated the obvious. So check out Her Campus' Alternative Checklist! READ MORE

20 Reasons To Stay On Your Year Abroad Forever

By Leona Hinds
June 13, 2014 - 4:00am

It’s coming to that time of your year abroad when you’ve forgotten what your bedroom at home looks like and the family has started a countdown until you’re back in the UK. But what if you’re not ready to go home yet? Here are some excuses to put off buying your plane ticket home and stay on your year abroad for a little longer.   1. I haven’t seen winter/ Christmas/ Thanksgiving/ New Year in this country yet.   2. I’ve never been more patriotic.   3. Every day here is an adventure. READ MORE

7 Things That Are Making You Unhealthy

By Imogen Vance
June 9, 2014 - 4:00am

It’s that wonderful time of year again where we go bikini shopping and plan stunning beach holidays! This means it’s also bikini slimming season – the most deadly and difficult of all workout phases. For those of you hitting the gym, enjoying exercise classes and going for runs up and down Uni Park campus, you might not be doing enough! Don’t trip yourself up this year. Here are 7 rules  for you to remember:   Fizzy drinks are your worst nightmare
Would you eat 22 packets of sugar? Nope! So why are you drinking them? The extra calories in sugar-loaded drinks could lead to obesity and diabetes (eek). Stick to water, green tea and freshly squeezed orange juice! READ MORE

A Trip Down Memory Lane With Coldplay

By Esme Dee
June 6, 2014 - 4:00am

Coldplay are definitely back. Their first single off their impending sixth studio album ‘Magic’ made it into the UK Top 10 and ‘Sky Full of Stars’, produced by Swedish DJ Avicii  is set to be just as successful. So first, let’s take a look at their illustrious career… 8 Brit Awards 7 Grammy Awards More than 70 million records sold worldwide   1996 Chris Martin and lead guitarist John Buckland met at UCL during their orientation week.   1998 The band went through names such as Pectoralz and Starfish before they reached Coldplay in 1998 when Guy Berryman and Will Champion (known as the musical director) joined. READ MORE

50 Ways Friends Would Be Different If It Was Set Today

By Imogen Vance
June 4, 2014 - 4:00am

Monica would have accidentally sent a dirty Snapchat to Rachel instead of being caught on the phone with Chandler Rachel would have had Ombre hair and dressed from designer stores such as Zara and Topshop whilst Phoebe would have been into thrift store clothes In ‘The One with Barry and Mindy’s Wedding’ Rachel would have sung Taylor Swift’s ‘We are never ever getting back together’ instead of ‘Copacabana’ In "The One Where Chandler Can't Remember Which Sister" Chandler would just add Mary-Angela on Facebook and dump her by inbox Monica would have found Richard on Tinder READ MORE

Exams the Lizzie McGuire Way

By Imogen Vance
June 2, 2014 - 4:00am

Lizzie Mcguire was our personal life coach back in the day. She taught us about how friends come and go - Kate Saunders!! She went through bra shopping with us and even told us cautionary tales of turning goth and throwing unsupervised house parties (so WRONG). Now she's here to talk about what happens during exams. 1) Lizzie's bro gets that you're not in the mood for exams
2) but Lizzie says you have to work to get that 2:1
READ MORE

Perfect Nail Colours for Your Star Sign

By Imogen Vance
May 29, 2014 - 4:00am

Hey Collegiettes! Remember the 90s when everyone thought horoscopes were so cool and so accurate? It said I was going to be travelling and it was right (it was a bank holiday weekend but still! It’s psychic!) Drawing from this fun memory I revisited the horoscope pages and collected the planets and symbols of the signs along with their supposed personality traits, then chose the perfect nail colour for each sign. If horoscopes aren’t your thing there are still some great nail varnish recommendations in there! Happy nail varnish hunting!   Aries – 21st March  - 20th April READ MORE

Op-Ed: Why This Advert Is Not Just Awkward, But Wrong

By Samantha Carey
May 27, 2014 - 4:00am

Disclaimer: potentially offensive images.  Mindlessly trawling through Cosmo’s website in a burst of essay procrastination, I stumbled across an article titled ‘How to make a healthy lunch: As explained by this naked guy’. Naturally, I clicked on it. Because sex sells and I was killing time. I was greeted by this charming looking chap – complete with strategically placed Best of Both and awkward thumbs-up. READ MORE

Revision Break Body Blast: Build On Your Beach Bod!

By Gabriella Block
May 25, 2014 - 4:00am

The sun is slowly, but surely, creeping its way out from behind the clouds and summer is on its way; time to start getting into a routine of fitting workouts around your exams and workload so you feel confident and happy for cider-drinking days with a BBQ, - I’m already excited! Now, to get a full body workout, you need to involve all your muscles. The sequences below will get your heart racing and your body sweating – how you will be in a few months when you lift your finger for another sip of Pimms. If you’re head down doing revision and coursework, fit them in during a 15 minute break from using all that brain power. READ MORE