Beyoncé, All Hail the Queen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

I’m a new addition to Her Campus Nottingham team and so I thought I’d write my first music blog on someone who I hope we all, as women, can appreciate and love. The woman I’m talking about has been a long standing figure in the pop and R&B scene for over a decade and has made her mark that will last for years to come. From her beginnings in a girl group to the brave move she made as a solo singer, she has produced hit after hit and despite the recent birth of her first child: Blue Ivy, with the announcement of the upcoming Mrs Carter Show World Tour it seems she has no plans to slow down. Yes, that’s right, I’m talking about the living legend – Beyoncé.

As talk of her Superbowl performance grew as well as the tickets for her world tour going on sale, I started asking myself what it is about this 17 time Grammy winning artist that is so appealing to women (and men) all over the world? What has separated Beyoncé from all the other artists out there at the moment to grant her this worldwide domination? As I began to ask myself these questions, I found many reasons as to why I, along with my friends and many other people, love and are in awe of this woman.

Let’s begin with the obvious – the voice. The soul that she has is unbelievable and comes across so strongly in her songs and is something that even she herself has said she endeavours to keep whilst making chart topping hits. In her recently released documentary ‘Life Is But A Dream’ she also comments that when she’s recording, she just wants to close her eyes and ‘feel the music’ and this emotion is certainly communicated in her songs. The pieces about heartache, love or loss such as ‘I Care’ contain a voice that seems to literally want to exorcise all the pain within her, making them powerful, moving and as relatable to the listener as they can possibly be. Such a powerful voice capable of evoking emotions of sadness, grief, happiness or love when you hear it sets Beyoncé apart from the crowd.

Another aspect to her music which I think appeals and resonates with many women is simply the fact that so many of her songs are filled to the brim with sass. Her older material such as ‘Baby Boy’ and ‘Sweet Dreams’ are the ultimate ‘getting ready for a night out’ tunes. In fact, I defy anyone to put on ‘Naughty Girl’ and not feel in the least bit sexy or womanly and not feel like they could strut into a club and be the centre of attention. Even from her most recent album, 4, songs such as ‘Countdown’ make me proud to be a woman and evoke the same diva-esque feelings in me.

With my last point in mind, I think what ultimately makes Beyoncé so great is the way she has the ability to make women feel empowered and strong. In ‘Life Is But A Dream’ she comments upon the inequality between men and women, pointing out that women are still paid less which ultimately grants men most power and this feminist fire in her definitely comes out in her songs. Not only is it present in the songs I mentioned previously that make you feel sexy and ready for anything, but can also be found in songs such as ‘Best Thing I Never Had’ and ‘Irreplaceable’. Here, topics that have affected many women like adultery and heartbreak are covered but there is also hope for the future with lyrics portraying a strong woman who would rather be on her own than be treated badly and without respect. I think the notion that everyone (even Beyoncé) goes through such tough times is extremely encouraging but these songs also grant us the strength to stand up for ourselves in such situations.  

It seems Beyoncé is the modern day leader of women in many ways: her songs make us feel good about ourselves and our female form; they make us realise the beauty we have within us. They remind us that we can overcome trials in our lives and finally that we are just as good as men (if not better!) It is for all these reasons that I will be trying along with thousands of other people all over the UK to obtain the golden ticket to her world tour and to experience the brilliance that is Beyoncé. That will definitely be something to tell the grandkids.
Bearing all this in mind there is of course only one question to ask you and one answer I urge you to remember when you feel powerless … Who runs the world?

Top 10 Beyoncé songs:

10) Crazy In Love (her first solo single, such a tune and features her husband Jay Z! So cute

9) If I Were A Boy (Beyoncé’s feminist side coming out!)

8) Bootylicious (Can’t beat old school Destiny’s Child)

7) I Was Here (an inspirational song, performed for United Nations World Humanitarian Day)

6) Listen (great song from the great movie: Dreamgirls)

5) Halo (there’s a clip on youtube of her singing this to kids in a hospital and it is fantastic)

4) Resentment (a song for anyone who’s been hurt)

3) Naughty Girl (one word: sass)

2) Love On Top (crazy amount of key changes)

1) Sweet Dreams (immediately from the opening you know this will be a tune)

Esme Dee

Nottingham

Maddie studies American Studies at the University of Nottingham and is in her 4th year. She joined the Her Campus team on her year abroad at University of Illinois as a social media intern and now she and Anna are excited to open the University of Nottingham's chapter this September.