Style > Beauty

Beauty Blog: Bananara & a Coconut Smile – Nature’s Skincare

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It is hard being at university and still being able to afford the facemasks (or facials for you preenyprimpers!) and so this scrimping method is perfect if you know a banana addict or have an understanding relationship with a primate.

So here goes:

1. Remove your makeup

2. Rinse your face with warm water

3. Take the inside of a banana skin and rub it all over the face until the peel darkens

4. Leave for an hour-overnight.

Ew really? As if.

Personally, I understand it feels fairly vile, but I’ve made mashed banana facials before, left them on for 10-15 minutes and was never very impressed. This is because the fibres are where it’s at. Some people like to do it for days in a row to really dry out acne spots.

I was curious as to why this method was first cited as being so useful and I found some theories; bananas contain many vitamins including A, B and E. The latter of which soaks up free radicals which can help prevent aging ;). The other vitamins could explain how it appears to decrease the redness and irritation you get with spots, as you are replenishing your skin cells with special vitamin treats.

Another fun tip: Coconut Oil

If you are finding your lips are chapped due to cold weather, you can always try putting coconut oil on them.  As it has a slight SPF and highly moisturising protective properties, it will aid your lil’ lips in being so dry and susceptible to the sun’s rays (yes even winter sun can damage them further if they are sore). It comes in solid form, but melts at body temperature and feels less heavy than Vaseline and other crude oil based lip balms. It may seem like a waste to buy a huge pot for your lips, however it has many other uses.  Cosmetically it can be used as a backup makeup remover, if you apply it to your face, leave it on and rub it away after a few minutes, it literally melts the makeup off. Also as a shaving agent – it allows your razor to glide over your skin and provides a moisturising but non clogging effect after. It can also be useful for lactose-intolerant beings; replace butter with this baby.

Banan-ey Geek Out

There are some really interesting back stories to banana properties and combating heavy metal residues which can be pretty detrimental to your organs. A lot of the time the state of your internal organs can be reflected on your biggest external organ- your skin.

Banana peel fibres can absorb heavy metals such as lead and copper and can actually be used to purify water. This is because bananas contain naturally occurring weak acids (carboxylic acids) which can form anions (bases). Heavy metal residues form cations. Effectively anions are negatively charged and cations are positively charged. It can be simplified- these cheekies attract each other due to opposite charges, stick together and when you dispose of your bananery peel, you dispose of the bad boy metals too.

The accumulation of lead and copper in the liver is baaad because liver breaks down what is left of red blood cells after the spleen has had its way with them… it converts bilirubin into bile. A build-up of this in your body can lead to skin yellowing and dullness.

End notes:

This method may not work for everyone but it is practically free. If you notice any burning or irritation you may have an allergy- rinse off immediately. If you already know you are allergic to latex, it is probably best to avoid the bananas.  

I am 20, a zoologist, vegetarian (verging on vegan) & skin obsessed female. I love natural health care and go out of my way to find what really works. All my methods are tried and tested on yours truly :) Save the bees!
Maddie studies American Studies at the University of Nottingham and is in her 4th year. She joined the Her Campus team on her year abroad at University of Illinois as a social media intern and now she and Anna are excited to open the University of Nottingham's chapter this September.