An Aussie in Notts: From Melbournian to Nottinghamite

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

I know that resorting to talking about the weather in a conversation is probably one of the lowest forms of small talk, not to mention the most laborious. But this week’s blog entry of mine just has to begin with the current weather in Nottingham. It is coming on my month-aversary here in Notts and finally the infamous English weather has hit.

I have, in most other aspects of my daily life, found myself to be feeling more and more at home and essentially seeing myself as a true Nottinghamite (is that even what they are called? I guess a true Nottinghamite wouldn’t even need to ask that). However, the falling temperatures have me feeling too much of a foreigner for my liking. Whilst it does get cold in Melbourne, and of course it rains, knowing that it is only autumn and that it is going to get colder is alarming! Already the weather has me reaching for my coat, scarf, gloves and even gumboots to endure a full day of Uni – what will I do in winter?! What reinforces this feeling of being an outsider is seeing other students in a light cardi or sandals or even men in shorts. I thought Nottingham was known for its men in tights, but men in shorts in this weather is much more intriguing to me than men in green tights! I don’t know how they can do it.

With the awkward anecdote about the weather out of the way, I can truly say after (almost) my first month here, I am beginning to feel at home. With the craze of Freshers’ Week over and the reality of books and lectures kicking in, routine has returned (after my long four to five month break from study). That said, nightlife has continued, with the weeknight events at clubs and bars keeping my nights busy but also reminding me that I am not in Melbourne. I guess due to the strong student population here in Notts any night is the perfect night to go out and party. Which is great, I love it. Without the organized parties of freshers I am experiencing many more venues, from the collared shirts and amazing cocktails at Coco Tang to the dim lighting and rowdy crowd at Rescue Rooms. 

Included in my experience of being a local was, of course, a day and night spent at the Goose Fair. I loved it! From the friendly carny-folk to the rides beautifully lit up at night-time. It was really fun and immersed me a little in the more local side of Nottingham, the side with little girls in matching pink gumboots and old couples sharing a coffee and just needing a place to sit down (there was like one table and chairs there?). I was a little shocked at the commonplace of ‘mushy peas’ at the fair. I have never heard of these. They come in a can? And are served with mint sauce? It was something I couldn’t quite bring myself to try, although the polystyrene cups in which they were served did give them a 10/10 for presentation…

The final reminder to me that completely reinforces that Nottingham is my new home-away-from-home is the fact that I am living in self-catered accommodation. I am pretty sure this is something I mentioned in my last entry, but gosh is it difficult. I can deal with the early morning classes on little to no sleep, and I can rug up to avoid and attempt to deal with the sub-zero temperatures (exaggerating a bit there on the actual temperature…) but having to cook my own food is something I struggle with nightly. Luckily I brought my trusty tube of vegemite to get me through breakfast, lunch and dinner. I might need help on some student recipes, because the tube is now running on empty – maybe I will have to get some mushy peas. 

Edited by Jayde Richards

Harriet Dunlea is Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Nottingham. She is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her passion for student journalism derives from her too-nosey-for-her-own-good nature.