Are Revealing Clothes and Sexuality Really News?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Yesterday, in top trending news stories that are NOT news, ‘The Sun’ declared that Jesy Nelson has come out as a lesbian. This was done whilst also commenting on the fact that Jesy “wasn’t the only one to show off her incredible figure” and that Perrie and Leigh-Anne also wore “revealing” outfits. Little Mix clearly can’t go out anywhere without facing public scrutiny for their behaviour or even their outfit choices.

Excuse me if I’m being naïve, but since when was some girl friends enjoying a night out together, getting a bit drunk, looking great and snapchatting their night out newsworthy? As a university student, I can vouch that this isn’t a rare or dramatic occurrence. Yes, on nights out girls like to dress up and look good. This doesn’t need the male-gaze commentary of the clearly morally conscious page 3 famed tabloid ‘The Sun’. Yes, girls get drunk and get affectionate with their female friends. Does that suddenly make them a lesbian? Whether Jesy is or isn’t, this is in no way proven by some club-night drunken Snapchats. Even if she did come out, is this really a “shock” news story, worthy of trending status?

Not only does Jesy face scrutiny for her passing comments and literally-not-in-any-way-out-of-the-ordinary Snapchat story, but Perrie and Leigh-Anne are included in the article for nothing more than how they look. The so-called “simple yet effective green dress” (sorry, but effective in doing what?) worn by Perrie is pictured as is the bra revealing outfit from Leigh-Anne, reminiscent of “Sporty Spice.” With all the news in the world at the moment that actually matters, where is the need to make assumptions about Jesy’s sexuality based on a Snapchat story that almost every girl has had in some form from a night out, all whilst commenting on the outfits worn by Perrie and Leigh-Anne that ‘The Sun’ rather hypocritically call “revealing”? I think it’s safe to say that not only is this article entirely unworthy of its place in trending news, but also that if any tabloid is going to form a public critique of a woman’s behaviour, sexuality, or clothing (which is just utterly unnecessary anyway) it definitely should NOT be ‘The Sun.’

Original Sun article:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/3371945/little-mixs-jesy-nelson-shouts-i-want-to-be-a-lesbian-as-she-fondles-pals-boob-and-posts-video-of-them-in-bed-together-eating-junk-food/

Edited by Jenine Tudtud

Sources:

http://www.capitalfm.com/artists/little-mix/news/amsterdam-refused-club-entry/

http://www.little-mix.com/gb/home

Contributor account for HC Sonoma
Jenine Tudtud

Nottingham '17

Jenine is a fourth year American and Canadian Studies student at the University of Nottingham and is hoping to get a career in journalism or publishing. She is currently one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Nottingham! She has just returned from The College of New Jersey after spending the past year studying abroad.