Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Nottingham Archives

Will My Girly Voice Hold Me Back?

By Harriet Dunlea
October 23, 2014 - 1:00am

Here’s a demoralising piece of information for every ready-to-take-on-the-world female student reading this: You’re a girl, and you sound like a girl, so no one will ever take you seriously. Get that? You have a feminine voice (how dare you!?) and will never succeed in your career. You’re too screechy and high-pitched, which means you’re less competent. Your naturally woman-like intonation is the barrier between you and the success you deserve. Or, at least, this was suggested to Monica Hanna, a litigator from New York City, by firm partners who listened to her presentations. Twice in the space of two years Hanna was told that her voice was too ‘high’ in the partners’ feedback. READ MORE...

Nottingham's Most Haunted

By Naomi Upton
October 23, 2014 - 1:00am

How better to bring in Halloween than with a trip to one of the city’s spookiest spots? The Galleries of Justice The former jail, police station and courtrooms in the city centre are said to be frequented by the ghosts of those hanged for crimes as small as theft. Reports of shadows, direct responses to questioning and terrifying groans and screams make it a must visit. Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem READ MORE

Struggling to Get the Guy? Hussey Can Help!

By Katherine Isle
October 23, 2014 - 1:00am

A Woman Looked Nice And Everyone Was Angry

By Naomi Upton
October 22, 2014 - 11:22am

So, Renee Zellweger looks a little different then. After her appearance at Elle's 21st Annual Women in Hollywood Celebration on Monday night, lots of people have lots of stuff to say about one woman’s face. Okay, so she doesn’t look like Renee Zellweger as we remember her- gone is the girl-next-door look we all associate with her much-loved role as Bridget Jones. Instead, wait for it…oh, she’s just a middle aged woman who looks pretty darn happy. READ MORE

The Pros and Cons of Living With Boys

By Helena Kelly
October 22, 2014 - 1:00am

Opening the front door of my second year student home, I was greeted by the near hysterical shrieks of my new housemate Charlotte. “Well, I’m not touching them!”, came the cry down the hallway. It’s 5pm and,  still reeling from a particularly traumatic seminar, I walk in to find my three female housemates gathered in the kitchen inspecting the floor with a look of horror upon their faces. Peering closer, I realise they are, in fact, staring at a mysterious, greyish garment. “What the --?” I begin, before realising said garment is actually a pair of male boxers. Boys underwear. In our spotless kitchen. Just to clarify, they didn’t even look laundered.  That, unfortunately for me, is the harsh reality of living with boys....

Dare to go Dark: The Bold Lip

By Pooja Naik
October 22, 2014 - 1:00am

Autumn has arrived and you know what means - it’s time to ditch that summer glow and coral blusher for a smoky eye and a sultry dark lip. Now don’t worry if you’re not a pro at makeup, the bold lip is the perfect way to switch up your makeup routine without taking too much time or effort!   How do I know which shade suits me? It’s easy! Just follow this easy guideline when choosing lipstick shades to match your skin tone.   Fair/Light Skin READ MORE

Hallowe’en your house party without buying ANYTHING!

By Danielle Greenspan
October 22, 2014 - 1:00am

Our environment and our student finances means that splurging lots of cash for a single night of freaky frivolities is not necessarily a possibility for us. So instead of raiding Poundland (with enough ethical issues for its own article) here are a few great little ideas for your decorations using things that you definitely already have! P.S. Don’t forget to recycle everything afterwards!     Monster doors! Ingredients:       Bin bags/tights READ MORE

Spotted: The Best 7 LEGGED Costumes

By Harriet Dunlea, Leona Hinds, Phoebe Marsh, Kate Box, Samantha Carey
October 21, 2014 - 9:26am

The largest bar crawl in Europe hit the streets of Nottingham last night, with groups of students showing off some pretty impressive fancy dress efforts. Her Campus presents our favourite team costumes of the night! Were you spotted? Many teams chose to relive their childhood on the infamous bar crawl, with people dressing up as their favourite TV/Film characters and toys! These guys really went to INFINITY AND BEYOND levels of effort READ MORE

The Dos and Don’ts of Kicking Off Your Year Abroad in the South of France

By Fran McKay
October 21, 2014 - 1:00am

So, I’m about to spend my 3rd weekend in the beautiful city of Valence. My kids are absolute stars, the food is as good as they say it is (someone take one for the team and be ready to roll me home come April) and the scenery is beaut. But what have I actually learnt during my short time across the channel? I’ve put together a few Dos and Don’ts that I wish I’d been made more aware of before the big move! (Disclaimer: some advice should be taken more seriously than others).   1.       Do buy yourself a bottle opener (and a good one at that). READ MORE

Why You Gotta Be So Rude? The ‘Skinny Bitch’ Song Debate

By Kimberley Bond
October 21, 2014 - 1:00am

Attitudes towards women’s bodies have changed recently, and this has been reflected in all facets of the media. Gone are the days of ‘heroin chic’, spearheaded by the waif-like Kate Moss; nowadays, curves are something to be celebrated, with Kate Upton and Kim Kardashian possessing bodies that are the envy of women worldwide.  Recent chart hits, such as Nicki Minaj’s Anaconda, and Meghan Trainor’s All About That Bass, revel in this new found celebration of curviness, rejoicing in their ‘buns’ and ‘booties’. READ MORE