Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Nottingham Archives

What's Your Employer Thinking When They Read Your CV?

By Catherine Hatcher
November 1, 2014 - 2:00am

Thanks to The Ladders, new research using the latest ‘gaze-tracking’ technology has shown that on average, employers spend just 6 seconds looking at your CV. By the end of this time, they have decided whether you are suitable for the job or not. Here is your guide to understanding exactly what happens in those 6 seconds, with 5 tips for making sure that when time is up, your CV lands you an interview and not in the recycle bin.   1.       Be clear The research conducted using eye-tracking technology shows that employers spend 80% of their time looking for these items on your CV: ·         Name ·         Current Company...

Op-Ed: Stop Calling Amanda Bynes 'Crazy'

By Navreen Mangat
November 1, 2014 - 2:00am

Last weekend, my pals and I were feeling worse for wear after a night out, so we decided to put on our ultimate, go-to hangover film: She’s The Man. If you have somehow never managed to catch it, I whole-heartedly urge you to – it’s a hilarious, modern-day re-make of Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night starring Amanda Bynes and (a personal highlight) Channing Tatum. It’s perfect for a bit of easy viewing when you can’t be bothered to pay too much attention to a film. READ MORE

Nick Hill

By Jenine Tudtud
November 1, 2014 - 2:00am

Guitarist of The Ages, Nick Hill is currently in his second year studying Computer Science at the University of Nottingham. With the growing success of the band (they’re already on iTunes and Spotify!), Her Campus Nottingham met up with Nick to talk about the band's music and what we can expect from them!   How did you get into music? READ MORE

Top Beauty Tips You Probably Don't Know

By Jess Turton
November 1, 2014 - 2:00am

Sometimes I will come across a small tip or trick in the world of makeup and beauty and think "this is actually useful". Here, I've put together a list of some of my favourite tips which hopefully you will find helpful, be you a complete makeup newbie or a beauty whiz! READ MORE

The Tribe

By Margaret Ikotun
October 31, 2014 - 2:11pm

Event Date & Time: Thursday 6th November, 10pm till late. Location: Rescue Rooms The tribe lives by just 1 rule and 1 rule only, which is “We Party as one”.  If you’re a fan of house, shots and a good dance then join the tribe this Thursday. Early bird tickets are still on sell for £4.  READ MORE

Ben Chandler

By Ellie Hammond
October 31, 2014 - 1:52pm

Name: Ben Chandler Hometown: Watford Degree: Product Design and Manufacture Engineering Year: 1 Campus Involvement: I play dodgeball and MechSoc rugby and also jam a lot. Dream Job: Designing guitars for Emma Stone to straddle. Personal Claim to Fame: My brother was once on the BBC show 'How to Swim' as a baby…. Fun Fact: I have a painting on my wall of a pug with a sniper rifle. READ MORE

10 Things That Should Be Banned At Festivals

By Charlotte Clare
October 31, 2014 - 2:00am

So Glastonbury announced that they’re banning ‘Indian-style’ Native American headdresses from the festival as of 2015 (about time in my opinion, cultural appropriation is not something a festival should be promoting or encouraging, and other festivals should follow suit), so here’s my personal list of things that should also be on list of things to get rid of:   1.       Flares They block everybody’s view, the smoke hurts your eyes if you’re too close, and they’re dangerous. No thank you.   2.       Flags Again, they’re blocking the view of the main stage. Who are these people that can be bothered to hold these massive flags up all day for three days? Keep them in the campsite flying from your tent if you must bring them at all....

Good Goings On in November

By Danielle Greenspan
October 31, 2014 - 2:00am

The coming month’s instalment of places to go and things to do in Nottingham, but these aren’t just any things, no. These are super things, heroic things one might even say. The sort of things that Clark Kent would do if he hung around the Midlands, or that Angelina Jolie might lend her hand to. Seriously good stuff.   Shop of the month: Evolution Evolution is a hidden gem of a shop, tucked away upstairs in the Victoria Centre. It is an ethical charity shop selling gifts, home furnishings and cool things that you didn’t know you needed. It pleasingly has very student-friendly prices too!   READ MORE

7 Types of Halloween Costumes and What They Say About You

By Leah Rafferty
October 31, 2014 - 2:00am

The traditional one This costume is quite predictable. It comes in the form of a vampire, a zombie, a witch/wizard. It can be found in most fancy dress shops – try Luvyababes for example – but it shows the effort a person will make to adhere to the fancy dress code. The traditional fancy dress is ideal for a person who wants to play it safe, you’re bound to not be the only zombie at the Halloween party, but your effort is appreciated and your love of Halloween acknowledged.   The one that doesn't try READ MORE

Review: The Infant at New Theatre

By Mirrie Hashmi
October 30, 2014 - 7:59am

3 STARS *** Truth be told, I had no idea what to expect when going into see this play. I came out just as I’d entered, if not more confused. This gripping play danced on the edge of madness with acting, strong imagery and a hidden message. This production boasts some deeply impressive performances. Jess Lundholm and Emma Kendall as the uncanny duo Samedi and Castogan, respectively, had everyone’s attention from the outset, especially the unhinged Castogan, who entranced and unsettled me at the same time. READ MORE