Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Nottingham Archives

Kevin Gaye

By Phoebe Marsh
October 25, 2014 - 4:31am

Name: Kevin Gaye Hometown: Brussels (but my mum is from Belfast, UK and my dad is from Dakar, Senegal) Degree: American Studies Year: 4th Campus Involvement: University of Nottingham Rowing Alumni Dream Job: Director of an International Development NGO Personal Claim to Fame: At aged 10 played football against the now Everton striker Romelu Lukaku growing up in Brussels. READ MORE

Terror Tours

By Emily Butler
October 25, 2014 - 1:00am

Galleries of Justice Museum. Every Saturday night 6pm & 7pm. The darkest most deepest prison cells and dungeons are not normally accessible to the general public however they are to be exclusively opened for our frightening Terror Tours! Delve underground into the Sheriff’s Dungeon and experience the horrific sights, smells and sounds of the prison cells, caves and dungeons of a lonely place where the past comes back to life. These tours will instill fear and make you recoil in terror… after all this is where poor souls were incarcerated before transportation… or death!   Terror Tours last for approximately 1 hour.   Ticket price: £9.95 per person or why not upgrade your ticket to just £12.75 to include a pre-tour drink?...

What Not to Wear to a Gig

By Charlotte Clare
October 25, 2014 - 1:00am

Some know-it-all, up-themselves, self confessed ‘gig expert’ might tell you that there are certain rules you MUST follow when going to a gig otherwise you’ll look like an idiot. This is rubbish. As long as you’re comfortable, wear whatever the hell you like. These are just a few tips of things to avoid to make you more comfortable and enhance your experience: 1)      Big jumpers/cardigans READ MORE

4 Fun Things To Do Without Alcohol

By Emma Sims
October 24, 2014 - 1:00am

As many of you know, after a heavy Friday night at Ocean the last thing you’ll feel like doing is picking up the vodka again; that is until next week anyway! So here’s our list of fun things to do with your friends or housemates that don’t involve alcohol. Let's go! 1. Cook together. As students, I'm sure we're all guilty of knocking together some pesto pasta and calling it a masterpiece, but more advanced cooking can be super fun when you do it with your friends and can result in yummy food that you just wouldn't cook for one. You could do it Come Dine With Me style and have everybody cook something different for a few nights in a row, or simply go all out and cobble together a three course meal on a Saturday night. 2. Investigate Nottingham....

Amy Hughes – TEDxUoN President

By Jenine Tudtud
October 24, 2014 - 1:00am

Amy Hughes, a 4th year International Relations student, is this year’s TEDxUoN’s president. Being in the “uni-bubble”, we often forget that there are important issues and ideas that need to be discussed. TEDx gives students opportunities to hear about these issues and ideas with the involvement of the local community, guest speakers at their big events and other students. Having come back from her year abroad, Amy also shares her experiences and how this has impacted her views on education.   What is TED?   READ MORE

The Passion vs. Pay Debate

By Sarah Akinterinwa
October 24, 2014 - 1:00am

As much as we’d love it to, university doesn’t last forever. Eventually, students graduate with a shiny new degree that paves the way for a career. However, do graduates choose their careers out of genuine passion, or simply because the salary looks good? Of course, everyone would like a career that pays well and offers satisfaction all at once. But let’s face it; it’s a little difficult to achieve both, but not necessarily impossible. READ MORE

Will My Girly Voice Hold Me Back?

By Harriet Dunlea
October 23, 2014 - 1:00am

Here’s a demoralising piece of information for every ready-to-take-on-the-world female student reading this: You’re a girl, and you sound like a girl, so no one will ever take you seriously. Get that? You have a feminine voice (how dare you!?) and will never succeed in your career. You’re too screechy and high-pitched, which means you’re less competent. Your naturally woman-like intonation is the barrier between you and the success you deserve. Or, at least, this was suggested to Monica Hanna, a litigator from New York City, by firm partners who listened to her presentations. Twice in the space of two years Hanna was told that her voice was too ‘high’ in the partners’ feedback. READ MORE...

Nottingham's Most Haunted

By Naomi Upton
October 23, 2014 - 1:00am

How better to bring in Halloween than with a trip to one of the city’s spookiest spots? The Galleries of Justice The former jail, police station and courtrooms in the city centre are said to be frequented by the ghosts of those hanged for crimes as small as theft. Reports of shadows, direct responses to questioning and terrifying groans and screams make it a must visit. Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem READ MORE

Struggling to Get the Guy? Hussey Can Help!

By Katherine Isle
October 23, 2014 - 1:00am

A Woman Looked Nice And Everyone Was Angry

By Naomi Upton
October 22, 2014 - 11:22am

So, Renee Zellweger looks a little different then. After her appearance at Elle's 21st Annual Women in Hollywood Celebration on Monday night, lots of people have lots of stuff to say about one woman’s face. Okay, so she doesn’t look like Renee Zellweger as we remember her- gone is the girl-next-door look we all associate with her much-loved role as Bridget Jones. Instead, wait for it…oh, she’s just a middle aged woman who looks pretty darn happy. READ MORE