Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Nottingham Archives

How Not To Do Freshers Week

By Leona Hinds
September 22, 2014 - 4:00am

Freshers Week was one of the strangest of my life. I moved into a flat with five strangers in a city I didn't know. Not only was I expected to do admin work (like sorting out my timetable, registering for the doctors), look after myself and make friends, but I also had to dive into the student lifestyle. I'd just returned from a year out in South America and going to Nottingham was another culture shock. I didn't have a crazy week full of parties and alcohol like many other Freshers, and overall I didn't have a good week at all. Here are some things you shouldn't be doing during Freshers Week.   READ MORE

Study Break: An Interview With Billon

By Paula Akpan
September 22, 2014 - 4:00am

London-based duo, Billon (Ed Butler and Robbie Lamond) have been on a steady upward rise with their eclectic sound which takes from garage, techno and house. Impressing the likes of Annie Mac, Skream and Mistajam, these Rinse-signed two show no signs of stopping anytime soon. Their latest track, Special, featuring Maxine Ashley, has reached over 100,000 plays on Soundcloud, whilst remixes of Ella Eyre and Yasmin have hit well over 220,000 listens each. Her Campus had a little timeout with them to find out more about Billon’s origins, what they’ve been up to over the summer and their feelings towards cats and dogs… READ MORE

The Bakery Relaunch

By Imogen Vance
September 22, 2014 - 4:00am

Tickets are now available for the relaunch of popular student-run night The Bakery on the 30th of September. The award winning basement club brings you the best music in Nottingham. This night out is perfect for anyone into Disco, Tropical, Soulful, Jackin, Tech, Bass and Garage music. One of the more special nights out in Nottingham, The Bakery is not one to be skipped! https://www.facebook.com/events/1472057933055908/?fref=ts   READ MORE

Dos and Don'ts of Freshers Fair

By Emma Sims
September 22, 2014 - 4:00am

Freshers' Fair can be crazy, but it's definitely something that you have to go to in your first week at Notts (and every other year!). So, head on over to the sports centre and follow these tips to get the most out of going... DO: Allow lots of time to look around everything. You'll be surprised how long you can spend there (and by the length of the queue to join societies and clubs! TIP: if you pick up leaflets to the ones you are thinking about joining, you can join them on the SU website when you get home). READ MORE

The 6 Types of Freshers You Will Meet On Moving Day

By Harriet Dunlea
September 19, 2014 - 8:45am

This weekend, the sight of crammed cars crawling up the motorway towards Nottingham will signify one thing: it’s moving day for UoN Freshers. It’s a day that people are thrilled and apprehensive about in equal measure; after 18 years living under your parents’ roof you are finally gaining the freedom you have longed for, yet for many moving into your new room in halls means the end of childhood and the beginning of adult life. All the people you will meet in your new Nottingham home will deal with first-day-jitters in different ways, and so Her Campus has created a comprehensive guide of the types of Freshers you are bound to come across. 1.   The Emotional Wreck READ MORE

Surviving Scotland During the Referendum - An English Girl's Guide

By Kimberley Bond
September 19, 2014 - 3:29am

Friday  18th September: The Results Are In!: And so, there we have it. Scotland is still part of the UK, with the No campaign securing 55% of the vote. Here is a breakdown of the results (as of 7:18am): (Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2761704/SCOTLAND-REFERENDUM-RESULTS-LIVE-Follow-results-historic-vote-announced-interactive-map.html) READ MORE

10 Things to Expect On Your First Day At Uni

By Beth Rowland
September 18, 2014 - 1:40pm

It’s a big day, your first day at uni. You’ve been building up to it for months and you are about to bubble over with excitement. It’s a day like no other, so if you’re a little bit apprehensive and don’t know what to expect, here’s a handy list of stuff that will definitely happen on your first day!   1.       You will be beyond terrified READ MORE

A Last Minute Guide to the Scottish Referendum

By Maria Panteli
September 18, 2014 - 12:00pm

For the past few weeks the media has been inundated with news regarding today’s Scottish Referendum. But if your response has been something along the lines of ‘referend-erm, what?’ then check out our quick guide to the situation…   The Issue After being part of a union for the past 300 years, Scottish voters will answer the question: ‘should Scotland be an independent country?’ The referendum comes after the Scottish National Party won the Parliament Election back in 2011. This allowed them to run the referendum in the hopes of fulfilling their main goal – to create an independent country. READ MORE

Lad Culture in UK Universities: Being Ignored?

By Naomi Upton
September 15, 2014 - 5:18pm

‘Lad culture’ has officially been coined as a ‘problem ignored’ by the President of the National Union of Students, Toni Pearce, in a report by the BBC. According to Pearce, ‘a survey of 2,000 students commissioned by the NUS suggests a quarter of those polled had experienced unwelcome sexual advances’. Rape jokes and trivialising sexual assault has also become a widely noticed occurrence, with two thirds of students observing this objective sense of humour on campus. READ MORE

Nottingham Uni Timetable App

By Imogen Vance
September 15, 2014 - 4:13pm

Tom Howard's University of Nottingham Timetable app claims to be "easier than a Trent degree' and he's not wrong! All you have to do is type in your university username and the app will instantly find all the possible modules for your course and year. You can hide any modules you're not actually taking so you don't to scroll through useless information. There's also the option to add modules like an extra language module or a psychology subsid (for example!). The best thing is it's pretty and colour coded! The app allows you to swipe between each day and is set up in a calander format. It's extremely user friendly and will work for anyone who owns an iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The app is optimised for iPhone 5 and requires iOS 7.0 or later.  ...