7 Tips for the Vegetarian Traveller

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

I’ve been vegetarian now for a year and a half and within that time I’ve visited a wide variety of places. I’ve been confronted with looks of confusion, bewilderment and even apologies from people upon finding out that I don’t eat meat or fish. However, no matter what some beef-burger-lovers may think, it’s really not too difficult to be a traveller and a veggie. Here are some of my top tips:

1. Order a lacto-ovo plane meal

This is something I had to find out the hard way. A week before my flight to Australia, I thought I would plan ahead and ensure I was getting a veggie-friendly meal on all my flights. I selected the ‘vegetarian’ box and felt proud of my organisation skills. However, only upon receiving my first tray was I told that this option excluded eggs and dairy too, and was in fact suited for vegans. Airlines like to couple the two dietary requirements together to make life easier for themselves, so make sure you select the more obscurely labeled ‘Lacto-Ovo’ option to avoid getting a plate of undercooked spinach and a crusty bread roll.

2. Granola bars are your friend

On many tours I’ve embarked on, we’ve arrived at the campsite, desolate picnic bench or secluded beach, only to find that there’s no meat substitute available. To avoid being stuck with a plain, salad filled wrap, it’s best to always have granola bars, crackers, and packs of raisins, seeds and nuts to hand. They’re compact, a great source of energy, and won’t add too much extra weight to your rucksack.

3. Be prepared for the questions

The more remote the location, the more interested they’ll probably be in you and your eating habits. Whilst in Tanzania at a barbeque, I had a man embrace me and express his condolences when I said that I didn’t eat meat. It can be amusing at first, but quickly gets tiring when you’re having to explain your reasons for avoiding what many cultures see as staple foods. Be patient and prepared to discuss your choices, and ready for any potential backlash you may face.

4. Ask your own questions!

If you decide to splash out and try a local restaurant, be confident enough to ask the appropriate questions of your server.  Some dishes may seem vegetarian at first, but as vegetarianism is often not so widely recognised, chicken stock and other meat flavourings may be included in the most harmless looking pasta or potato dish. When it comes to salad in more rural locations, also remember to check that it’s washed in filtered water. Most locals adapt to drinking whatever comes out of the tap, but your stomachs certainly won’t thank you for doing the same!

5. Avoid the meat markets

Coming from someone who has been dragged along to African markets and made to help choose the goat to sacrifice that night, these should only be faced by those with a strong stomach. Travel is all about experiencing new things and opening yourself up to new cultures, but locals won’t take too kindly to expressions of disgust when directed towards some of their most sacred customs. The western world protects citizens from the gruesome sights which can put even the most enthusiastic meat-eater off their steak, but if you can’t suppress your views on animal rights or whatever other reasons you may have for your chosen lifestyle, it’s best to stick to the fruit and veg stalls. 

6. Indulge on fruit

Speaking of such stalls, when travelling, you’re going to find different fruits in season from those back at home. I’ve sampled some of the most amazing produce when abroad, and mangoes will never be quite the same after enjoying them fresh. It’s often cheap to buy in bulk if you go to local traders who probably grow everything in nearby fields, and fruit is a great refresher in any hot climate.

7. Check TripAdvisor

If you’re planning on eating out, this is a great place to start as TripAdvisor can filter restaurants dependent on those that are vegetarian-friendly. You can also check out reviews, sample menus and contact the owners for more information. However, it’s fairly easy to eat out at most places if you learn to embrace the ‘sides’ section of the menu where you can find soup, veg, grains and beans for fairly cheap prices.

Being veggie abroad is not as hard as people may think: as long as you’re open to alternative ways of living and are willing to discuss your views…and have them shot down! On the plus side, you’re much less likely to get sick as many food-borne illnesses come from eating poorly prepared meat. That just gives you more opportunities to explore the area and take it all in before you’re back home, tucking into your favourite quorn products once again!

Edited by Sarah Holmes

Image sources:

http://yufashion.blogspot.co.uk/

https://www.silverkris.com/ideas/travel-news/travelling-vegetarian

http://www.superhealthykids.com/peanut-butter-chocolate-trail-mix-granola-bars/

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels! 
Naomi Upton

Nottingham

Naomi is a third year English student at Nottingham University and Co-Editor in Chief of HC Nottingham. Naomi would love a career in journalism or marketing but for now she spends her time beauty blogging, attempting to master the delicate art of Pinterest, being an all-black-outfit aficionado, wasting time on Buzzfeed, going places, taking pictures and staying groovy.