This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It’s that wonderful time of year again where we go bikini shopping and plan stunning beach holidays! This means it’s also bikini slimming season – the most deadly and difficult of all workout phases. For those of you hitting the gym, enjoying exercise classes and going for runs up and down Uni Park campus, you might not be doing enough! Don’t trip yourself up this year. Here are 7 rules  for you to remember:

1. Fizzy drinks are your worst nightmareWould you eat 22 packets of sugar? Nope! So why are you drinking them? The extra calories in sugar-loaded drinks could lead to obesity and diabetes (eek). Stick to water, green tea and freshly squeezed orange juice!
  1. The bus isn’t your friend

You may disagree – but I love the 34 bus as it goes to the top of my street!

The University of Nottingham offers mental wellbeing advice on their website and they stress the importance of walking or cycling instead of catching the bus. According to them this puts you in a much better mood and you save a £2 return – win win.

1. Takeaways are a special treat not a go-to

You’re busy. You have a ton of revision to do, an essay and a phone call to your mum and dad or you’re meeting your friend later and you’ve got to go to the gym. Although the average Collegiette has a lot on her plate, this shouldn’t stop you from eating healthy. Boil your veggies and chop up some peppers. If you have time you can freeze meals for another day when you know you’ll be really busy.

1. Sleeping in is wasting your time

The best way to trim your waistline is to get up early, do some stretches, eat some breakfast then get down to Hallward to revise. Don’t start the day of with lunch – your body and purse will not thank you for that.

1. Starving yourself leads to overeating

The typical – if you starve yourself you will go crazy later with the cookie tin. Stick to three meals a day.

1. If you ignore your meal portions your body will ignore your desired body size.Stick to this:Breakfast for a kingLunch for a QueenDinner for a Pauper
  1. Having a colourful meal gets you closer to a colourful bikiniMake yourself a beautiful salad and a fruit smoothie. Colourful = healthy (and pretty).

Have a great summer Collegiettes!

Edited by Ili Mustafa